• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That would be great. I know I absolutely love the LAMH in Studio. I think you Poser folks will love it also, if they can get it together to work in Poser! It's such a great plugin. :D

That's good to know because for something like this it would make it easier to do for both programs. I've seen some beautiful things for DS. I haven't used it much myself though.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Welcome back, Talihawk! You'll have seen by your lurking we are a friendly bunch so come and join the party :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Been working over the first round of fixes on the Big Cat. Laurie Prindle is kind enough to give me feedback.

Leopard65.JPG
Leopard66.JPG
Leopard67.JPG
Leopard62.JPG
Leopard63.JPG
Leopard64.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I am soooo loving the way Kitty is developing. He's looking great Chris. ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ear hairs? Where do you see those Lyne? I only see some on the brow area, and along the cheeks/jawline. Am I going blind, or is that what you're asking Chris to add? Hmmm . . .

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
As Lyne has said. I've added in 3 sheets of mesh inside each ear that Laurie will map hair onto to add depth and a closer look to reality.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
I love this big cat, and believe me, I can't wait to get my hands on him, but, if you'll allow it--the face still seems rather amorphous to me, and has a distinctly Millennium Big Cat flavor to it.

In the profile aspect, the head proportions are a little off. I've composited this image comparing the profile of the model with a photo of a leopard in profile. I've outlined what I see as problem areas. The blue follows the lines of the model, and the red highlights the lines of the photo. Green is where I estimate the model's ears would be if they were held back like the leopard in the photo.

As you can see, the jaw is too large and too far back. The skull should be a bit more rounded, and the muzzle is too round. The eyes should be larger, and higher, with a more distinctive v shape from the outer corner of the eye where the eyelids meet at the corner and a more pronounced half circle effect where the eyeball occludes the inner corner of the eye, from which the tear stain area should flow very straight. The angle of the nose is a little too soft. The ears may be a bit too big and are too high and far forward on the head.

Something I find very helpful when sculpting an animal face is to look at sculptures by other artists to try and determine the aspects of the animal's form that are usually exaggerated to capture the most realistic and recognizable effect. As well as to get a feel for the general forms without the distraction of fur and coat patterns.

This image is a very nice sculpture of a leopard head. You can see that the shape of the nose and mouth, as well as the brows and eyes to some extent are exaggerated, but it makes the overall aesthetic of the sculpture more relateable and realistic feeling. This sculpture has a lot of character, which I feel is currently lacking in Kitty's face, especially around the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Thank you Sparky for the valuable input. I'll certainly check it all out. I too like using what ever reference adds value, whether that is anatomy imagery or sculptures or whatever.

So thanks for input to make this a better product. It means a lot!