• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Solved Hivewire Accounts / Yahoo email

Willowisp

Adventurous
Might I recommend Mozilla Thunderbird? Through this you can log in to any and all of your email accounts and download everything directly to your hd. No need to log in via browser, less tracking this way! And if you for some reason lose the account, you will still have all your mails intact.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Good idea, @Willowisp , thank you.
I'm also bailing out from *both* of my current email addresses. I had a Yahoo.com address (my first email!) and my internet service (Frontier) uses a customized version of Yahoo.

I'm not particularly touchy about analyzing data for targeted ads, per se, but...
...Oath is demanding that I give them express permission to root through my email, and the terms state that agreeing also constitutes a waiver of your rights to join a class action lawsuit. :eek: And this applies to my paid ISP account!

Burn it all down. :somad: My Yahoo account, through which I signed up most of these forums and stores, is already dead with all ~11,000 emails deleted. My Frontier.com address will go dead in a few days.
I don't know yet what my new address will be, but I already have the modem and cabling installed. The phone service also changes, come Monday.
Once I get the new email set up, I'll begin updating my account/profile everyplace.

Hornet3d

Wise
Good idea, @Willowisp , thank you.
I'm also bailing out from *both* of my current email addresses. I had a Yahoo.com address (my first email!) and my internet service (Frontier) uses a customized version of Yahoo.

I'm not particularly touchy about analyzing data for targeted ads, per se, but...
...Oath is demanding that I give them express permission to root through my email, and the terms state that agreeing also constitutes a waiver of your rights to join a class action lawsuit. :eek: And this applies to my paid ISP account!

Burn it all down. :somad: My Yahoo account, through which I signed up most of these forums and stores, is already dead with all ~11,000 emails deleted. My Frontier.com address will go dead in a few days.
I don't know yet what my new address will be, but I already have the modem and cabling installed. The phone service also changes, come Monday.
Once I get the new email set up, I'll begin updating my account/profile everyplace.

You would have thought that with the present climate being what it is that they would have had given this a long hard consideration before going forward with this.

eclark1894

Visionary
You would have thought that with the present climate being what it is that they would have had given this a long hard consideration before going forward with this.
They're in CYA mode at the moment because they've all been doing it. That's why that little addendum on not being able to join any class action suits is being inserted in there.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hope no one minds - I changed the thread title since it's morphed into an issue about Yahoo mail :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary

Wow that is just unbelievable, more so with all the publicity about data theft lately!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Why in the world would they go to through my emails? I'll be looking for an email carrier I can transport them too that isn't so nosy. This is awful. Just awful. Being targeted for ads is one thing. But pouring through my mail, who knows what they could with that information? Have a creative story idea that you emailed to a trusted friend? Now they'll have it too.

Chilling.

D

Deleted member 325

Oddly, I have not yet received any of this from Yahoo. I'm wondering if geographic location is a factor.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Wow that is just unbelievable, more so with all the publicity about data theft lately!
I think @eclark1894 's suspicion is correct; They've already been doing it - without permission, and now that the issue has become a litigation liability, they're trying to get
  • ex post facto permission, and...
  • claim a waiver against class action lawsuit
Why in the world would they go to through my emails?
They sell your "analyzed data" to marketers and political committees.

But pouring through my mail, who knows what they could with that information? Have a creative story idea that you emailed to a trusted friend? Now they'll have it too.
You create/change a user profile at a 3D forum/store, and your new password is sent to you via email. Anyone at Yahoo/AOL/Google/etc who wants it, has it.
What if you discuss your medical condition with your sister via email? Bang - HIPA violation.
How about when you pay bucks for a software license, and the serial key is sent to you via email? Some scrub working at Yahoo/AOL/Google could sell that to a pirate site.
What if that scrub doesn't like your political opinions which you privately expressed in an email to your brother?

Oddly, I have not yet received any of this from Yahoo. I'm wondering if geographic location is a factor.
Geographical insofar as national legal boundaries, I would think.

P.S. The Pixie Hollow network is back online,:p via the new broadband ISP. Haven't gotten email set up yet.

Last edited:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I read that Google used to trawl emails but stopped doing it last year. I did wonder why I was seeing adverts that related to stuff I sent in emails.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I still get DAZ adverts...in my PHONE. I can be read an article, staying in the know when one of ads appears it's from DAZ! Look, I'm a poser user but in the day, I got a lot of enjoyment out of visiting DAZ. I visited everyday and waited for payday because there was always something I wanted. Now they are in my targeted by google ads. I do admit to liking seeing a DAZ image rather than a fake poll that asks how I feel about the president. (I liked the last one). Now I know all those were targeting me to find my weak points for everything including politics. For those that think politics is bunk. Let me say that if you didn't know it, Politics rules the world. Your vote counts if you live in a country where you are allowed to vote.

Willowisp

Adventurous
I read that Google used to trawl emails but stopped doing it last year. I did wonder why I was seeing adverts that related to stuff I sent in emails.

I don't trust them not to still do it tho.

I've always used adblockers, so I never see ads online and I never really noticed that google trawls my emails. Until about a year ago. I had ordered a flight for my cousins wedding, and the confirmation email was sent to my google adress. Moments later, I got a message from google telling me that my trip had been added to my google calendar.. (which I never use btw) Let's just say I freaked out. I kinda already knew they trawled your emails, but I never thought about it before since I never see ads. I do have a private email account that I use for more personal things.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am always conscious that the email system in general is insecure so I am very careful about what I send, I have less control over what I receive. Having had my credit card defrauded on a number of occasions last year I have now restricted my purchasing to just three sites, so far it has worked. Despite that I check my credit card account multiple times each week so that I can have the card stopped as soon as anything untoward happens.

Other than my emails and this forum my social media footprint is small, no twitter or facebook or any other such service.