• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Have You Ever Grown UP?

D

Deleted member 325

I wish I could say no, I didn't, but sadly at some point I did. The innocence and child like wonder and hope have all be stripped away and I have come to know too many darker and painful things.

I still remember what it was like...and I long for those things back...and want to share them with others again... I would love to just sit on the floor building castles out of legos once more - and dream of pirate ships and alien worlds with strange life. Oh what adventures I used to have...

Hornet3d

Wise
I wish I could say no, I didn't, but sadly at some point I did. The innocence and child like wonder and hope have all be stripped away and I have come to know too many darker and painful things.

I still remember what it was like...and I long for those things back...and want to share them with others again... I would love to just sit on the floor building castles out of legos once more - and dream of pirate ships and alien worlds with strange life. Oh what adventures I used to have...

I have certainly known many dark and painful things, many of which still hurts, but somehow I can manage to slip back into those childhood days, often when playing trains or with Poser. It is a dream world where only the things I want to happen, happen. Of course I can only stay for short periods but it is still nice to be able to visit.

eclark1894

Visionary

Did you know that Mark Twain actually used my life as the source for his Tom Sawyer book?

Okay, that's not actually true, but my childhood would have made a great adventure book. I actually did think about writing a book about it. I even have a name for it, Walnut Terrace, so I haven't completely given up the idea. My only hesitation is that I honestly don't think today's Millenials would be able to relate to it, assuming they're still actually able to read. I suppose I could write the book in text with emojis as a translation.:sneaky:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes. Being a kid sucked.
Being an adult wasn't much better, but I got to say when I went to bed and whether the dishes got done now, or later.
I have now attained the pinnacle of crabby old bat-itude. It's marvelous.

robert952

Brilliant
...Apart from still playing with dolls (poser ones) I play with model trains (live steam remote control) so I guess the saying that the toys just get bigger and more expensive is true, ...

Quite a while back I showed DAZ Studio to a co-worker. Put in the figure (V2 I think -like I said a while back) ... added hair... clothing... posed . Coworkers remark: "That's just Barbie for geeks." And though I haven't put one together in a while, I have a closet full of model ships and boats, some WWII tanks and two Saturn 5 rockets (one static, one launch able). That's part of my retirement activities. (And, yes, some were over the $150.oo US price mark wooden ship models.)

robert952

Brilliant
...I honestly don't think today's Millenials would be able to relate to it, assuming they're still actually able to read. I suppose I could write the book in text with emojis as a translation.:sneaky:

ROFLMFAO... (oh, wait - do millenials understand what that means?) OK... if you haven't done so, google Millenial Song (a a capella piece by Joe Frank). Also, if you want good insight into the millenial work force look for Jason Dorsey's stuff - a couple of TED talks. A couple of ah-ha moments for me on a professional level as I develop training material for this workforce. (Whoops.... starting to sound grown up. Excuse me while I beat that part of my psyche back into submission.)

eclark1894

Visionary
Quite a while back I showed DAZ Studio to a co-worker. Put in the figure (V2 I think -like I said a while back) ... added hair... clothing... posed . Coworkers remark: "That's just Barbie for geeks." And though I haven't put one together in a while, I have a closet full of model ships and boats, some WWII tanks and two Saturn 5 rockets (one static, one launch able). That's part of my retirement activities. (And, yes, some were over the $150.oo US price mark wooden ship models.)
It's just a hobby. Someone else wants to read something else into it, let' em. I know plenty of people who do things I just simply don't get or understand. As long as it's not hurting me or anyone else, who cares? Now, that said, I do tend to get upset when people I do admire or respect says or does something that just "upsets my apple cart", so to speak. But you know what they say, "never meet your heroes". I have to say though, the year is only 31 days old and so far... especially where Poser and DS is concerned... for me... it sucks.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Being an adult wasn't much better, but I got to say when I went to bed and whether the dishes got done now, or later.

That's the part I'm looking forward to when I finish secondary school. No having the internet switched off at midnight on school nights. My phone NOT being taken off me when I go to bed. Being able to eat pizza in bed without having to bring the leftovers and wrappings downstairs until the morning. Basically, being treated as an adult instead of a child. After all, I'm 17 now, not 7. o_O

eclark1894

Visionary
That's the part I'm looking forward to when I finish secondary school. No having the internet switched off at midnight on school nights. My phone NOT being taken off me when I go to bed. Being able to eat pizza in bed without having to bring the leftovers and wrappings downstairs until the morning. Basically, being treated as an adult instead of a child. After all, I'm 17 now, not 7. o_O
Okay, I don't know exactly where you live, but here in the States, 17 is still considered a minor, and your parents are still responsible for you. I never had kids, but I do believe in raising kids to assume more responsibility as they get older. That means teaching kids that your actions have consequences and you have to take responsibility for those consequences because I won't bail you out. I know people now a days believe that there should always be a "safety net" until you're at least 21 or 30, but you'll never learn to be a "real" adult that way.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here are some idiots being not "real" adults. Interestingly, I found this on You Tube right as I was typing the previous post, so I thought I'd show an example of the kind of adult you shouldn't aspire to be.

Hornet3d

Wise

I got to say that your restrictions, on the whole, seem like someone is serious in trying to help you get on in life, but then that comes from someone of a generation who has no bother being parted from their phone has the internet running 24/7. I also hated my school days and I am of the view that if school days are the best part of your life you either had school days very different to mine or a very sad life. To be fair though I was a strange kid, liked being on my own a lot, loved classical music when everyone around me was into pop, the list goes on.

Anyway I wish you all the best when you hit 18 but keep in mind, with freedom comes responsibility so you can find it difficult being responsible and young at heart, at least it is for me.

Oh, and from a generation who can be seen to spend all it's time condemning the young, I think your talents as an artist is stunning, let alone for someone so young. Which can also be seen as proof that your peers are doing a good job in looking after one so talented.

Tynkere

Motivated
I did grow up for a time, but thankfully, I reconnected with my wise, inner child and we both absolutely REFUSE to grow up. Life is more magical that way.

Good conversation starter, and what Lisa shared probably same for me.

2D art and rat race in commercial pre-press for a time. Then technology pretty much killed the printing business.

Semi-retired in my 50s, I work as a 'statistician' of all things. It's nice to be able to tell the temp lady when she calls for a project, "Thanks, but have relatives visiting. Maybe next time around."

More to the point though-- very fortunate that art is fun again! And learning 3D art... literally adds a whole new dimension to it. : )

--Bruce

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder

Yes. We have to discover for ourselves what the consequences of our choices are so that whatever "lesson" is revealed through those choices becomes part of who we know we are.

As a mother of three and grandmother of three, I think as parents we want to protect our children from the consequences of making bad choices ... maybe because we see, hear and know horrific things as to where those bad choices can lead. The hardest thing that I have had to do as a mom was to let go and trust that I had given my children adequate tools. I started encouraging them to make choices well before they were 18 and on their own. I was there as a support system for them in good times and bad. They learned about the consequences of choices, and since they still lived at home, when mistakes were made, we as parents provided a safe space for them to regroup, recover and try again.

It sounds like the people who turn off your internet, take your phone and make you clean up your midnight pizza love you and want the best for you. How can you find ways to show them that they gave you a good toolset and that they can trust you to use them well?