1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Happy New Year!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by eclark1894, Dec 30, 2018.

1. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

I may actually be asleep when the ball drops, so if I'm not up to say so then, I'm saying so now....
    [​IMG]

Have fun, but please don't drink and drive!:balloon01:

Me195, Bonnie2001, pommerlis and 3 others like this.
  2. Rowan54

Rowan54 Dragon Queen Contributing Artist

I always figure it is midnight SOMEWHERE and go to bed when I please.

pommerlis likes this.
  3. robert952

robert952 Eager

HAPPY NEW YEAR!.

Being the City of Oaks, they drop a large copper acorn to bring in the new year in Raleigh, North Carolina. The event is called First Night.

The acorn is on display in a park the year round. A few days before New Year's Eve, they remove the acorn and polish it up nice and bright for the event. Then it is dropped to bring in the new year twice.

One aspect runs for children/families from 2 PM to 6 PM and an early countdown at 7PM. Families can bring in the new year together and get the kids home at a decent hour. Some may even return to the party after getting the kids home I am sure.

The party goes on with an 'official drop' at midnight.

I consider the 7 PM drop close enough so that I can call it an evening. As you say, it's midnight somewhere.

pommerlis likes this.
  4. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

Yeah, I live in Raleigh. The acorn, if you ever wish to see it up close, is in Moore Square park on the Martin St. side which is closer to the street. All in all, the Acorn is only a few blocks down and over from Fayetteville street whee the drop the acorn on New Years Eve. I never go myself. It just doesn't seem a smart thing to do to go out on a night where people are encouraged to drink and celebrate.

5. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

Happy New Year Hive'ists

they'll be lightin' up the bridge in around 10 hours time over here.. :flower02::peace::thankyou:

pommerlis likes this.
  6. Karth

Karth Eager Contributing Artist

Happy New Year everyone,
    we are at home.
    I hate always this.."you have to be awake until midnight"
    We donĀ“t do any pyhro... we spend the Money to the animal home near our town.
    This year our youngest daughter will be with us..so we will Play a bit wii until we go to bed..hehe
    Best Thing today is - i can hear Music a bit louder :)
    Enjoy what you do :)

Best for 2019 ....
    you know...winter is coming :)

pommerlis likes this.
  7. pommerlis

pommerlis Busy Bee Contributing Artist

Everybody a very Happy New Year!
    See you all on the other side of midnight!
    :grouphug:

8. Me195

Me195 Extraordinary

Happy New Year everyone!

9. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

And may it be SHINY too!!!!!!:balloon01::balloon01::balloon01::balloon01::balloon01::balloon01::balloon01::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
    [​IMG]

10. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I guess this says it all! :D

HappyNewYear2018.jpg

Desertsilver, Rowan54 and Janet like this.
  11. Rowan54

Oooh, fireworks. My favorite bit. Only I didn't sit up to watch "New Year at the Needle" or whatever Seattle had this year. (Seattle is nearest big city -- about 30 miles off.) Haven't gone to find out what might be posted on line either. So, nice that there's a picture.

12. Miss B

Actually Rowan, you haven't missed anything, because the fireworks won't be until midnight tonight, December 31st. I actually should've waited until tomorrow to post this. ;)

13. Rowan54

Actually, the hivewire site says Jan 1...

14. Rowan54

And I've been so deepinto projects that I really don't notice which day it is anyhow. Sunny or stormy, I notice that. Not the date, much.

15. Bonnie2001

Bonnie2001 Extraordinary

Happy New Year everyone! I just came home after the fireworks display in town.

16. Miss B

Then you probably don't have it set to your timezone, though I'm 2 hours ahead of Utah, and Utah is an hour ahead of you, so if my computer said it was 12/31/18, that's what the date was.

Right now it's 1:00am on Tuesday, January 1, 2019, so it should be 10:00pm on Monday, December 31,2018 where you are.

17. HaiGan

HaiGan Engaged Contributing Artist

18. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone made it to this side okay and healthy and whole.

19. DanaTA

DanaTA Busy Bee

Late, but...Happy New Year, everyone! Odd that they call it First Night. Boston calls it that, too. Actually it's the last night! First day of the new year.

Dana

20. eclark1894

eclark1894 Distinguished

Technicality. Midnight may usher in the first Day of the New year, but it occurs at night, unless you're in the land of the Midnight Sun.