• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hair Systems in DS

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Righto then, here we go.

full size kitty long hair copy.jpg

full size kitty long hair

35% long hair after resize.jpg

35% after resize

full size kitty short hair copy.jpg

full size kitty short hair

35% short hair after resize.jpg

35% kitty after resize

The presets make the kitty furrier as it gets smaller. But it doesn't turn the kitty into a were-kitty. Maybe the rabbit preset has a wonk.

Oh, and I didn't have one crash doing all those. Go figure :p

Lorraine

Create Scene and then save out the figure for fur/hair as a scene subset, make hair, test render etc. When complete open original scene file, delete figure and merge the scene with figure and hair to do the final render.

I did that for the last render I did and that is def the way to go.

Also if the plug-in is crashing while in the plug-in interface then it could be an OpenGL issue. While doing the Kiwi Garibaldi kept crashing, I found it was just one setting that I had ON, as soon as I turned if off, no more crashing. It had to do with showing the base of the hair, so an OpenGL issue.

That is something I will need to check. Thanks Szark.

Szark

Awesome
Hi Szark and thanks for responding, I really appreciate it and I hope the feeling human continues.

I really like what you have done with Garibaldi, especially the kiwi (but I may be biased there ;) ) It looks as if both programs have their strengths and weaknesses, LAMH's biggest being its constant crashing.

And PS: outstanding renders as per usual!
My pleasure and yeah feeling more human this evening/early morning.

For me support is everything and the LAMH team have proved their worth on that front. But it can do so much more than hair, leaves on a tree, grass (though Garibaldi can do that too), working on easy transfer to Iray and so much more that I can't think of at this time of day.

Thanks I do love playing with things and making different images.

Lorraine

I think it's going to be LAMH for me. Ido like what you are doing with Garbaldi but the fact you can have a tryout with LAMH using the player is great. I'm sure when I get back to my desktop computer a lot of my issues will vanish.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Szark, sorry to hear you've been under the weather, though glad you're feeling better now.

Lorraine, I can only echo what Szark said. Garibaldi is basically an abandoned plugin; no support from it's vendor at all. Alessandro and Kendall support the heck out of LAMH. And Szark is right. LAMH - the full version, which I do have - is capable of a LOT more than just fur.

Lorraine

That's good to know. I'm a bit sad I missed out on it last night but it went off sale 3 hours before I got paid, how sad, too bad ;) But it does give me time to get better acquainted with LAMH before I buy it.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I get nothing but grief from LAMH. It's worked once or twice, but the crashes finally put me off from even trying to run the full version. It's just not a stable piece of software. At least not on my computers (note: haven't tried it on the new one yet, will have to give it a go). The player is bad enough.

And if they fix it, it doesn't stay fixed. I'll deinstall and install the updated version, and it will work for one render, and then back to no business, as usual.

For me the problem is that the fur never covers adequately. I have the opposite problem from getting were-rabbits. I get a thin vague halo of hair (not properly fur) with the outline of the model showing through loud and clear. Like Loraine's cat examples. And with me it's usually the cat, since I tend to need a cat in the scene. But I've had the same issue with the MilDog and it's work morph.

I'm told that is does very good grass, but haven't tried applying it to a ground plane yet.