• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hair Systems in DS

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
There are two competing hair systems one can purchase (sadly not from HW so I hope that doesn't preclude me from seeking advice). I have seen several members of the forum commenting about both systems and I would like your pros and cons of each to help me choose the right one.

I have the LAMH player and some presets on my computer. It has been causing me some frustration with its crashes (and when it took an entire scene with it...) but I have kind of figured out a bit about it. I know nothing about Garibaldi save it makes lovely kiwi feathers( looking at you @Szark ).

Any and all comments, brick bats and bouquets would be appreciated :thankyou:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Garibaldi is more inclined to human hair from what I've seen. Some few folks have managed to get convincing animal fur/feathers out of it, but mostly it seems that it's more inclined to human hair.

LAMH is more inclined to animal furs, but not so much human hair.

Regarding LAMH crashes... next time it takes a whole scene with it, Lorraine, if you're able to, send me the scene's DUF file. I can probably take a guess at what happened and how to fix it. :)

The biggest thing with LAMH, is to apply the fur presets LAST. Get your ENTIRE scene set up, posed, etc. When you're ready to render it, SAVE it one more time, and then load the hairs in by hand. DO NOT SAVE with the LAMH hairs in the scene (this is why you saved first). So once the LAMH presets have been loaded onto their figures, you just simply click "render" and let it render.

That's how I work with the presets... to date there's only been one product that I could not locate the preset (JoeQuick's mouse product for Genesis). Other than his product, every other LAMH figure I work with, I wait until I'm ready to render before loading the fur in.

Also note, that if you click "Attach LAMH preset" and then try to back out of it by canceling, DS will crash immediately. This is a bug I figured out a while ago; so even if you can't FIND the preset you're looking for, just load any old preset and let it spit out an error message if need be. But if you try to cancel the process of attaching it, Studio will crash.

I wish I could be of more help with Garibaldi, but I just don't like the look of it for most animal furs, so I tend to use only LAMH. And because we CANNOT have both an LAMH *and* a Garibaldi object in the same scene (that will also crash DS instantly), I just simply... don't work with Garibaldi. At all. Maybe Szark can give you more info on Garibaldi...

Lorraine

Thank you very much, Seliah :) This is what I was hoping to get...good information. I'm going to go back into my scene and do it as you said...certainly saving the hair as an obj has worked but the file is so huge it bogs down the laptop.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah.. LAMH is a great plugin, but it defintiely has it's own quirks. If you watch any of Alessandro's instructional videos (youtube), even he makes mention of manually loading the presets at the end if you're experiencing lag/slow down/resource issues or crashes. The furs can be very heavy on a system's resources. I have 12 GBs of RAM, and if I have three of his wolves in my scene with their LAMH presets attached, even with nothing else loaded, everything will start to bog down. So I always just save the furs for the very last thing to do before clicking the render button. ;)

Lorraine

That's a very good tip. I am setting up the scene right now and I'll post a render if/when I get it right :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Agree with what Seliah has said...I have the full version of LAMH and was playing with it last weekend. Don't laugh too loud at the renders I'm still trying to work out what shaders are best to use. All of these still need work as I've never created hair in LAMH previously I'm just trying to get used to doing so...I have done some other ones but don't have renders for them. I know that the eyebrows particularly still need lots of work.

Lamh hair dawn long1b 30000.jpg

dusk eyebrows 1b.jpg

dusk short a.jpg

Lorraine

Thanks, Pen, I appreciate your input . It does look really hard to make a hair from scratch, that much I got from the manual. Hopefully Szark might come and give me his thoughts on Garibaldi and I can come to a decision while the sale is still on. Maybe I should just buy both ;)

Lorraine

Ok, found another thing LAMH does. It goes batty and applies a preset like it's on steroids. The first time I apply it it's ok, and the next there's a funny bit hanging down the front. NOW, my poor rabbit looks like he got caught in a hot wash and dyer! You can't actually tell he's a rabbit! Good grief. Render's nearly finished and I will post 'the Incredible Furry Rabbit'!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, gosh, Lyne... why do I have the urge to pick up the "incredible furry rabbit" and snuggle it? LMAO

How many presets did you try to apply to the rabbit? You only need to apply ONE preset to each figure.

Sorry, I can't stop giggling at that picture! :rofl:

Lorraine

Once. I applied it once!! I even closed down the program, loaded a fresh new unfurry rabbit and then loaded the preset...and in 3, 2, 1, POOF, the incredible furry rabbit!

Lorraine

See that little kid rubbing his hands, he's going to make his fortune! I hate computers sometimes.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No kidding! LOL.

Okay, just out of curiosity - which rabbit model are you using in this?
And did the LAMH preset come off of the LAMH website? (Furrythings)

Lorraine

Aha! It's when you make him smaller! Lyne's rabbits are loading huge for some reason and when you resize them it wrecks the preset.

Lorraine

Lyne's lop eared rabbit and the preset from LAMH website. But it's the resizing before the preset is applied that's the problem.