• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hai Gan's Products at HiveWire 3D

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I made a bit! :)

bit render test 1.jpg

The hook's a little better since I did this render. Looks less likely to come detached. This is also rendered with smoothing, but the unsmoothed original is still stupidly high-poly, so I may have to figure a lower-poly version of the curb chain, probably using displacement maps and transparency.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Getting ready to hitch! You can see where I need to work on the start of the trace chain so it properly hooks on instead of intersecting with the collar as it does at the moment. There's often a link or two excess that's left dangling down, I'm including that too. This type of trace chain is an interesting length of chain because it has more than one link type along its length. Um. I think it's interesting anyway. But I already know I'm not normal. :p

Draft Harness In Progress #3.jpg

The harness is still missing the strap between the top of the collar and the saddle (not all harness has this, it's intended to stop the collar slipping off if the horse puts its head down). It's also missing the straps between the britching Ds and the trace rings, and the rest of the trace chains, and all the parts that attach to the front of the vehicle pole. I need to make the strap wider that fastens the trace ring to the saddle. Plus there's a lot to do on the bridle, and then figuring out how the reins are going to work. Safe to say I'll have no excuse to be bored for a while!

Another little snippet for those with interest: the harness that I help with has chains like this, and those are cleaned and polished by throwing them all in a cement-mixer with a lot of leather strip offcuts and letting them tumble around together for several hours, like a giant stone tumble drum.

All the REST of the harness is stripped down into pieces, all the bits are cleaned with a cloth and hot water, all the leather is polished with black boot polish and the metalwork is polished with brasso, and then it's partially buckled back together again to hang up until it's needed again. If it's not needed for some time, it's then unbuckled and polished and rebuckled all over again before use. You get to know the harness parts quite well... :p

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Holy Cow!!! This is awesome work. Just now stumbled upon this work of yours. Great work. Very impressive details.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
This is awesome work. Just now stumbled upon this work of yours. Great work. Very impressive details.

Thank you! When you've cleaned 'em, you know 'em (aaaaall too well, and also your fingers are stained with Brasso and black polish- but I don't see that look being popular as a character texture :p )

I have a simpler (but still realistically functional) medieval/fantasy harness to do first, to learn how rigging works these days. That one's all modelled, but my rigging knowledge dates back to Poser 5-ish and currently the harness does an impersonation of a porcupine whenever I try to pose the horse- and that's just in Poser, it hasn't been near DS yet. Pointers towards useful written-word-and-still-image (NOT video, please) rigging tutorials very gratefully received, both Poser and DS.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I think it was SickleYield over on the DAZ site who had a fairly comprehensive rigging tutorial (in two parts) in the store. But then, that's Triax rigging, which even DAZ seems to have abandoned. It was several years ago, but it was .pdf.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I know Sickle has a number of tutorials over at deviant art. Did she have one in the store? Ive got blondies and also some video ones from Esha and Arki. I seem to remember one specificly for things like whips where there are lots of bones but I thought that was over at da.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Okay, so a quick time out from the horse stuff because someone on the Dawn wishlist thread mentioned a pioneer dress, and dynamic cloth stuff is pretty quick to do if I have a pattern (and I do have quite a lot of historical pattern books). So I've done that, now needs me to package it and then find a beta-tester:
apron 3.png

Of course that means Dusk will need something...

Dusk.png

...so I'm doing that too.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, so a quick time out from the horse stuff because someone on the Dawn wishlist thread mentioned a pioneer dress, and dynamic cloth stuff is pretty quick to do if I have a pattern (and I do have quite a lot of historical pattern books). So I've done that, now needs me to package it and then find a beta-tester:
View attachment 39596

Of course that means Dusk will need something...

View attachment 39597
...so I'm doing that too.
Absolutely love it! Fantastic!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That turned out so darn cute! Love it! The little house on the prairie is filling up! Quick! Get the buckboard and plow for Harry! lol