• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Giraffe? From Harry?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, why not? I've been thinking over this project before Harry was even finished. In fact I started a Giraffe morph years ago, and just didn't share it with anyone but a hand full of folks. It was just too early and looked horrible, but still there was promise. So, pausing just a bit from our Moosey, my Muse took me in this direction the last 2 days, to get our Giraffe going. Many more to do to fill out our zoo.

I don't believe we'll stay with this mesh from our Horse, I don't think we have enough mesh in the neck for rigging, but... we'll wait and see. Until then, this is a PURE MORPH shape from Harry. I've only added on the ossicones (horn type protuberances) to be geographed, and the tail is from our Unicorn.

It is rewarding to push and stretch our Horse mesh and see what we can derive from it. Much like pushing our Big Cat mesh into a Rat.

So... here we go. Please keep in mind this work is very, very early, and I have much more shaping to do before it's called done.

GiraffeWork9.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
YI don't believe we'll stay with this mesh from our Horse, I don't think we have enough mesh in the neck for rigging, but... we'll wait and see.
I don't see why not, they have the same amount of vertebrae in their neck that we do LOL (would be cool to keep it the same, imagine his skin on Harry :D)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well giraffes have VERY bendy necks...and each "horizontal line" you see is where a joint could be...so I can see why Chris would want to add or replace mesh for the neck...so his giraffe would be MORE bendy than my old store giraffe ... my friend Bob made it easy pose, but it was never bendy ENOUGH for what Giraffes DO do with their necks.... right, Chris? (and I suppose THEN the maps would NOT be interchangeable, right, Chris?...I'm not greedy or nuthin...LOL!!)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh cool! LOVE giraffes! But yeah texturing that long neck and legs would be tough if strictly a Harry morph.

Here's a pic of a lovely one I met in Zambia back in 2004.

GiraffeCU.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I assume that Chris will be able to use the "Harry body"...but just dis-attach the neck and head, make a new mesh neck, and then re-weld it all back together... right Chris? Curious minds want to know! LOL!

anyway, @Chris - this Gir is GORGEOUS!!! :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I assume that Chris will be able to use the "Harry body"...but just dis-attach the neck and head, make a new mesh neck, and then re-weld it all back together... right Chris? Curious minds want to know! LOL!

anyway, @Chris - this Gir is GORGEOUS!!! :)

I'd just add in more edge loops horizontally along the neck. But... I'll take this as far as I can as the Harry mesh and see what we can accomplish, and only add in more mesh as the last move.

Harimau

Eager
Wow, a giraffe! Time to put in my 2 bits. Depending on whether you are a lumper or a splitter or someone in between there may be one (with nine subspecies), four or eight species of giraffes. Some people even suggest six species.

1 species, Nubian giraffe (type species):
The_nubian_giraffe.jpg

4 species (showing coat patterns):
Spot-pattern-poster-A1-LR-c-GCF-725x1024.jpg

6 species:
e382d99a1396397a4b96b0456eda48db.png

8 species (coat patterns, with the Rothschild's giraffe being lumped with the Nubian as 1 species):
The_fur_pattern_of_all_nine_Giraffa_camelopardalis_subspecies.jpg

The nine coat patterns may be made into textures.