• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Does Win10 updates still mess up the OS layout?

Hornet3d

Wise
Given all the negativity with Window 10, I was rather surprised to find I rather like it. It's not anywhere near the demon it's been made out to be.

A lot of the negativity is not related to the usability it is more to do with what goes on behind the OS. Forced Updates are mot liked by many and closing it down so that it sends minimal information back to Microsoft is almost an art form.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't particularly care for forced updates either, but I believe it's become a necessary part of life.

It may be less annoying to me because every month, the Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates are pushed out to our computers at work. Whether it's convenient or not. Same with emergency security updates. I got careless because of the hysteria over the "forced upgrade" to Windows 10, and inconveniently forgot to keep up to date on the security updates. I paid for that ... dearly. So ... I'm absolutely ok with forced updates, which so far haven't been all that inconvenient. With the changes made to Windows 10 since its release, I don't come home or wake up to find my computer has rebooted. I'm warned when an update is due, and have the ability to postpone the reboot. So ... I don't really see all that much difference between updates pre Windows 10 and post Windows 10.

Most of us are too careless when it comes to computer security. Some of us are more responsible than others (and clearly, after this last year, I'm in the others group!). But from my observations, most people who use computers don't even think about security or about privacy.

If you use the internet, you have no privacy anymore. If we ever did. Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon all collect our personal information. Those are just the big players. Every step you take on the internet is tracked and recorded. Smartphones are perfect little spies too. How many people think nothing about turning on their smartphone location services, use their smartphone for banking, or use a pay service on their phone? It just totally boggles my mind how much personal information people freely put out on the internet, including where they are at any moment.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
How many people think nothing about turning on their smartphone location services, use their smartphone for banking, or use a pay service on their phone? It just totally boggles my mind how much personal information people freely put out on the internet, including where they are at any moment.
You know Satira, I have a couple of friends who actually laugh at me when I tell them "I don't bank online, period!" I don't even pay bills electronically either, so won't give up on paper bills. Yes I know, it would be better for us environmentally to go paperless, but I refuse to give a hacker easy access to my private info.

Call me old fashioned, but that's how I'll continue to be, as it's a whole lot safer.

Hornet3d

Wise
You know Satira, I have a couple of friends who actually laugh at me when I tell them "I don't bank online, period!" I don't even pay bills electronically either, so won't give up on paper bills. Yes I know, it would be better for us environmentally to go paperless, but I refuse to give a hacker easy access to my private info.

Call me old fashioned, but that's how I'll continue to be, as it's a whole lot safer.

The other problem with paperless banking is that big corporations have not caught up. Three times this year I have been asked to supply an original copy of either a bank statement or utility bill. Now all my bills are on line and so I have no such thing. In one case I was trying to set up a new bank account and was about to give up when I tried a bank that was new to our town, it is from a team who came from the US and is the Metro Bank. When I tried with them they wanted the same thing but when I explained the situation their reaction was, OK just bring in some print offs. Needless to say that is where I opened an account and they have been so helpful in the short time I have been with them I am now moving all my banking over to them.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
The other problem with paperless banking is that big corporations have not caught up. Three times this year I have been asked to supply an original copy of either a bank statement or utility bill. Now all my bills are on line and so I have no such thing. In one case I was trying to set up a new bank account and was about to give up when I tried a bank that was new to our town, it is from a team who came from the US and is the Metro Bank. When I tried with them they wanted the same thing but when I explained the situation their reaction was, OK just bring in some print offs. Needless to say that is where I opened an account and they have been so helpful in the short time I have been with them I am now moving all my banking over to them.

I have the same problem, I found that Nationwide use your postcode to check if you are on the electoral role and if you are that satisfies them. I do get occasional letters from the DWP as I'm on tax credits but they are often only once or twice a year so aren't always any good as the banks etc like things to be less than 3 months old.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have the same problem, I found that Nationwide use your postcode to check if you are on the electoral role and if you are that satisfies them. I do get occasional letters from the DWP as I'm on tax credits but they are often only once or twice a year so aren't always any good as the banks etc like things to be less than 3 months old.

Nice to hear about Nationwide but the practice with the other banks and corporations annoys me. By all means have the paper version as an option for those who decide not to go paperless but in this day and age asking for and original statement or bill as an essential requirement is not on. The other time I hit the snag was with HMRC when I claimed my state pension a couple of months ago but at least in this case they were giving me money, in the other cases I was trying to give them money. If that wasn't bad enough go into the branch of my new bank of a few months ago and I get a cheery greeting and and offer of help. Go to my bank of over thirty years and the best I get is eye contact from the few staff there looking after the ATMs rather than the customers. New bank opening hours eight till eight during the week and I think it is eight to three on Saturdays and ten to two on Sundays. Old bank,nine to five during the week except Wednesdays which has a late opening of ten, similar hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday. Makes you wounder who is serving who.

Moving back on track before I get into trouble for deflecting the thread, I hate giving control of my machine to Microsoft which is why I have avoided Windows 10 so far. For all that I can see the need for enforced updates when it comes to security in trying to lock down both my computers and the Internet, but how come business seem so cavalier with data. A data breach is almost a daily occurrence here in the UK so I welcome enforced updates in that respect but it should be the same for all.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Poser 9 Updates

and if your poser 9 isn't taking those updates, maybe you got PP2012 instead in which case.

Poser Pro 2012 Updates
I really have to thank you, @Sunfire . You are right and now my Poser 9 is running under Win 10 with no virtualization!
I knew the Poser 9 update page, but I was mislead by the big "required" written on it: it made me think I needed at least version 9.0.3. 26132 (mine is older) to APPLY the patch, instead I now realize that it IS the patch. So, this wrong convincement, together with what I read about the IE/flash/library issue, and all the billing data required to download it by the Smith Micro website (I did not buy there before) made me give up without actually downloading the update.
Your post made me understand that maybe I was getting something wrong. So now I did all and it works. Thank you again :)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'm currently using Windows 10 build 17760 with no problems.

I've been using 10 since the first release to the Insider Ring Hub in 2014

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm helping my friend set up her new win10 Pro machine... the problem with FORCED UPDATES is really serious, and making me NOT want to have a new machine built at all... OR I can have my son build me a MAC... it's just all freaking crazy! I found one website to un-install the win10 UPDATE assistant:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-stop-windows-10-update/

I'm ok for now on my 4 year old win7 pro machine....just started giving all this stuff thought when my friend was FORCED to get a new machine built... she does NOT like win 10...but is doing her best to get it set up as close to win7 as possible (on where to find things, how to manage it all, etc.)

I have been monitoring this thread, and thanks to all of you who posted.... @Satira Capriccio - you seem the most calm user of win10... I did read that IN OCTOBER, MIDROSOFT IS HITTING EVERYONE WITH A HUGE NEW UPDATE THAT MAY ADVERSLY AFFECT users... It's the same old thing- updates being issued before being well tested for problems... I hope yours remains OK...

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
For the most part, I have found that I didn't have nearly as many problems with 10 as I thought I would. Though the last couple of days has been not so nice.

Hornet3d

Wise
Not sure if this is a problem for anyone here but I thought I would share this information rather than say to someone 'oh I knew that' after they have a problem. This might be an issue if anyone has a Windows 10 tablet or limited storage.

Microsoft warns Windows 10 users to free up storage space for the big October update

If you have a 32GB drive and want to install next month's big Windows 10 update, Microsoft wants you to know you may have to remove pretty much everything you've put on your device. Oh, and the Windows Update literally does not verify that enough space is available before commencing.

Since updating to a new version of Windows requires about 10GB of storage space, and about 20GB of a 32GB drive may already be occupied by the operating system, you may be forced to remove pretty much everything you've put on your device, if it's compatible with the big update coming to Windows 10 next month.

Microsoft is also warning users that Windows Update literally does not verify that enough space is available before commencing. So if the device runs out of space while updating to the next version of Windows 10, the installation simply fails -- and it may not be recoverable. Your data may still be on the drive, but Windows itself is hosed and must be fully reinstalled.

Making matter worse, a lot of these Windows devices with limited storage may not be set up to allow OS installation from an external USB drive either. In our experience, the available paths around this problem are not easy for the average user to tackle, even with guidance.

If you're lucky enough to have 64GB or more, Windows can still bloat to fill that space, as you download periodic system updates, install apps, create save games, and fill up your browser cache. Unless you stay on top of it, it can become a real problem.

In this day and age I suspect that this will a problem for only a select few but as the bite if it goes wrong is a big one I thought I would just help Microsoft get the message across.

Terre

Renowned
Thanks for the notice. My mother is on Win 10. She may need my brother to help her out with this.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks for the notice. My mother is on Win 10. She may need my brother to help her out with this.

My pleasure, I hate trying to fix computers these days, irrespective of the OS, I just want them to work. If I can save anyone hassle, and it looks as though this has the potential, I am pleased to be able to do so.

Terre

Renowned
The computers at work just got replaced with Win 7 Pro a year ago this week. They have a hardware (firmware?) firewall that prevents anything but a few sites needed for business through. The store's emails have to be checked on a computer that is not connected to the store's network. How this sort of arrangement will work when it's finally time to upgrade again I have no idea.

Hornet3d

Wise
The computers at work just got replaced with Win 7 Pro a year ago this week. They have a hardware (firmware?) firewall that prevents anything but a few sites needed for business through. The store's emails have to be checked on a computer that is not connected to the store's network. How this sort of arrangement will work when it's finally time to upgrade again I have no idea.

It is a fair question and of course could be a big problem and if that alone was not bad enough the fixes for the CPU vulnerabilities have a further impact of slowing the whole system down to a varying degree. This is bad enough for the hobbyist but if you are providing cloud storage even a 1% slow down is going to have a major impact on your business.

Terre

Renowned
It is a form of cloud storage, yes. We have one computer serving as a server for 6 registers and my workstation. While all printing from the database (shelf tags, display signs) has to be done on my computer the data base itself is actually hosted on the server. The registers do have copies of all of the items sent to them so if the server goes down they can still function but can't save transactions, do store charges etc. It's all cash, card, or check only in that case.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
Just another piece of information user might want to be aware of.

Windows is recording every keystroke on devices with handwriting recognition enabled

Facepalm: From the moment you first handwrote or enabled handwriting recognition on your PC, your WaitList.dat file began compiling every text file the PC received. In my own file on my Windows tablet, I found documents I’ve written, PDFs I’ve downloaded, and emails sent to me.

The purpose of the file is to record what you write so that future text can be predicted, allowing Windows to better determine what you’re trying to handwrite. Many phone keyboards work in a similar fashion, but it would have been nice to know that the file existed – it dates to at least Windows 8, if not Windows 7. The file’s lack of protection is an issue, however, as it can be copied in under a second and will likely contain sensitive information or passwords on many people's computers.

My source in this case is Techspot.

I am not trying to undermine Windows, or any other OS for that matter, but just trying to give people information so they can decide how best to set up their OS.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Just found this, perhaps it's useful for some of you? How to Set “Active Hours” So Windows 10 Won’t Restart at a Bad Time

I've been using Win 10 for about a month now. I've also been forced to upgrade because the new hardware wouldn't run with Win 7. I'm still not very happy about it, but on the whole it's not as bad as I had feared. I did a lot of research to find out how to switch off most of the data-collecting features and how to disable what MS sees as "enhancing user experience" but which to me is mostly annoying.
I also consciously avoided the tools that make Win 10 look like Win 7 because I think that's a road to frustration. You can't make it what it isn't. I'm trying to customize the Win 10 features to my liking and I'm gradually getting used to it.
I still think that Win 7 was better, but time moves on and learning to live with it is easier than banging my head against a stone wall :rolleyes:

Hornet3d

Wise
Just found this, perhaps it's useful for some of you? How to Set “Active Hours” So Windows 10 Won’t Restart at a Bad Time

I've been using Win 10 for about a month now. I've also been forced to upgrade because the new hardware wouldn't run with Win 7. I'm still not very happy about it, but on the whole it's not as bad as I had feared. I did a lot of research to find out how to switch off most of the data-collecting features and how to disable what MS sees as "enhancing user experience" but which to me is mostly annoying.
I also consciously avoided the tools that make Win 10 look like Win 7 because I think that's a road to frustration. You can't make it what it isn't. I'm trying to customize the Win 10 features to my liking and I'm gradually getting used to it.
I still think that Win 7 was better, but time moves on and learning to live with it is easier than banging my head against a stone wall :rolleyes:

Thank you for the link, that will certainly be useful. I am not a user yet but in the next few moths I am likely to be in the same boat as you and would look to set the new machine up much in the same way you have.