• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Does Win10 updates still mess up the OS layout?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Looks like if I upgrade my machine, I'll HAVE to use win10 Pro 64 bit...so trying to learn more...already got the information on how to get the desktop "back" to looking/working like win7's.... and also checking into setting up windows File Explorer to use the way I use it now... since with poser, art work, etc. I 'live in' and use file explorer ALL the time...

ANYWAY.... question is, once the new win10 is installed, all updated and settles down...and I get my layout, theme or what not all settled and get the software that I MYSELF want installed... DO THE UPDATES MESS WITH THE OS OR THE LAYOUT??

I already have updates turned OFF on my win7 so it would never suddenly become win10 when I'm not looking! and YES I USE AN ANTIVIRUS, AND TAKE CARE OF MY OS AND SOFTWARE without the ***** updates.

I need to learn before I can consider upgrading my machine...!

Thanks!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Unfortunately you'll find you can't turn off updates in Win10, unless you tell it you're on a metered connection. Though I don't know if that option is still available.

For a while my Crossdresser didn't work on Win 10 but it's working now. So I guess they got that figured out.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've not found the updates to mess with either the OS or the layout. It did take a few tries to get Win 10 to stop reorganizing the icons on my desktop. It really wanted to default to auto sorting. But it never messed with my theme once I set that.

I tend to launch my most used programs from Desktop icons rather than the Start Menu. I do find it irritating that I can't "pin" my most used programs above the list of all programs but instead have to use the tile arrangement that's to the right of the program list. But since I don't use it all that often, it's easy enough to deal with that change.

My computer was already set to Desktop mode rather than Tablet mode after Windows 10 had been installed, so I didn't have to do anything to get my computer back to looking right.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Looks like if I upgrade my machine, I'll HAVE to use win10 Pro 64 bit...so trying to learn more...already got the information on how to get the desktop "back" to looking/working like win7's.... and also checking into setting up windows File Explorer to use the way I use it now... since with poser, art work, etc. I 'live in' and use file explorer ALL the time...

ANYWAY.... question is, once the new win10 is installed, all updated and settles down...and I get my layout, theme or what not all settled and get the software that I MYSELF want installed... DO THE UPDATES MESS WITH THE OS OR THE LAYOUT??

I already have updates turned OFF on my win7 so it would never suddenly become win10 when I'm not looking! and YES I USE AN ANTIVIRUS, AND TAKE CARE OF MY OS AND SOFTWARE without the ***** updates.

I need to learn before I can consider upgrading my machine...!

Thanks!
Sometimes. I recently went through an un announced update where it broke the data transfer link I had with another computer- had to call the shop and have them come in over a remote link to fix it. You'll find that it also deletes the regestry files for copying or moving files- I've had to reinstall those several times due to updates. I've got to the poitn I keep the orginials on another drive where I can get at them fast.

Semicharm

Eager
Most UI elements remain unchanged between updates. The only one I've had issues with was Cortana. Among other things, it sends everything you type in the search box back to Microsoft. It treats all of it as a web search, with complete disregard of you intention or privacy. With each major update, it gets harder to disable that BS and keep everything local.

I tend to launch my most used programs from Desktop icons rather than the Start Menu. I do find it irritating that I can't "pin" my most used programs above the list of all programs but instead have to use the tile arrangement that's to the right of the program list. But since I don't use it all that often, it's easy enough to deal with that change.
You can also "pin" apps to the taskbar. Either on the start menu or taskbar, right-click on the app and select "pin to taskbar". That way, you can jump right to it without having to switch to the desktop first.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You can also "pin" apps to the taskbar. Either on the start menu or taskbar, right-click on the app and select "pin to taskbar". That way, you can jump right to it without having to switch to the desktop first.
I do that, but not with 2D or 3D software apps. I tend to use my "everyday" apps, like my PowerArchiver, a Calculator, NoteTab Lite (don't like Notepad or Notepad++), and of course a Windows Explorer window.

I've been doing that through a couple/three Windows versions, but have decided I'm not going to upgrade to Win10. I've had it with M$, so am looking into Linux for my next laptop's OS.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I hope to be able to try it out first before committing, but there is WINE, which is supposed to allow you to use Windows apps. How well they would all work, not sure, which is why I have to play with it first. I definitely won't be throwing out this puppy until I know for sure the new one, and all the apps I want installed on it, are working fine.

Riccardo

Adventurous
I know the feeling. Unfortunately, too many of my apps and such are tied to Windows.
The same problem keeps me from a complete switch to Linux. Last time I tried I was not convinced by WINE.
Anyway, as I have already told around here in a couple other posts, another option could be virtualization.
For instance, My Windows 10 machine is running an Oracle Virtualbox virtual machine with Win XP, so I can use my old version of Poser 9 (which would otherwise not work on my Windows 10)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have File Explorer pinned to the Taskbar, but any more than that, and it gets cluttered rather quickly.

I don't run apps full screen, so the Desktop is almost always visible. I do have my most used apps pinned to the Start Menu, grouped by app (or rather ... productivity) type. Microsoft has made enough changes to Windows 10, that I don't mind it at all.

Semicharm

Eager
The same problem keeps me from a complete switch to Linux. Last time I tried I was not convinced by WINE.
Anyway, as I have already told around here in a couple other posts, another option could be virtualization.
For instance, My Windows 10 machine is running an Oracle Virtualbox virtual machine with Win XP, so I can use my old version of Poser 9 (which would otherwise not work on my Windows 10)
It's sort of an option. I tried it for older Poser versions in VMWare and it mostly worked, except the mouse controls for camera movement get stuck.

BTW, Poser 9 works just fine in Win10. I just used it the other day for some shader tests. The trick is to install it and the latest patch before running it the first time. Runs just the same as it did under Windows 7.

ockham

Just don't use Win 10. I got a Win 10 computer when my Win 7 unit was starting to fail.

Win 10 is malware.

It spends half the time spying on you and half the time updating its ability to spy on you. It uses 90% of the CPU time for processes that you CAN'T TURN OFF. I couldn't get any work done. After 4 months of Win 10 grinding my hard disk ALL THE TIME, the HD broke, which was a blessing. I went back to the "sort of failed" Win 7 computer, and now I can work again.

Riccardo

Adventurous
It's sort of an option. I tried it for older Poser versions in VMWare and it mostly worked, except the mouse controls for camera movement get stuck.

BTW, Poser 9 works just fine in Win10. I just used it the other day for some shader tests. The trick is to install it and the latest patch before running it the first time. Runs just the same as it did under Windows 7.

Hi, with "my old version of Poser 9" I really meant "old":)
I know there are newer versions of Poser 9. Unluckily, mine is 9.0.0.16510 and it does not accept the patches to fix the runtime library/IE/flash issue. Thank you, Smith Micro.

Virtualization: mouse for camera movement gets stuck in Virtualbox, too. But in the menus there is something like (I am translating from the Italian version) >> Input >> mouse integration
With that, camera controls work fine. To release the mouse from virtualbox you have to press the HOST button (which is by default defined as "right-control").
So, I suspect that VMWare should have something similar, as well.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To update your poser, install it, input your registration information, close it, then go in and start with the very first patch and do each update separately.

Riccardo

Adventurous
To update your poser, install it, input your registration information, close it, then go in and start with the very first patch and do each update separately.
Thank you, but I checked on the Smith Micro website and there seem to be no updates for my version of Poser.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I hope to be able to try it out first before committing, but there is WINE, which is supposed to allow you to use Windows apps. How well they would all work, not sure, which is why I have to play with it first. I definitely won't be throwing out this puppy until I know for sure the new one, and all the apps I want installed on it, are working fine.

From my experience Poser 2014 will work in WINE with some issues but it is not as stable as in Windows. When it comes to Poser 11 my guess it would also work if you could get past the activation progress but you can't. The revised activation\deactivation feature requires a file to be written during the activation process and WINE cannot handle that. At least that is my experience up until this point, unless a Linux expert knows a fix. I played with it a number of times but came to the conclusion the only option I have is to either revert to Poser 2014 or move to Windows 10 on my next computer. It is with a heavy heart I say that because I like Linux am I am slowly moving my collection of computers from Windows 7 to Linux or making them dual boot. The computer running Poser however looks like it will have to be Windows 10, much as I hate to go down that route.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The only issues I've had with Win 10 and my posers actually occurred before Win 10 came out, it happened when they made the change to explorer and ended up breaking my Poser 8, My PP2012, PP2014, and P11 work fine otherwise.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh, I remember that with my P9, but I reset my IE update to the day before I updated it, and locked it down with instructions from the Microsoft Wiki. Luckily SM uploaded an update to take care of it a few days later, but I hadn't used IE since version 4, so I didn't miss it the few days it took them to get the update to us.

I haven't upgraded to Win 10, and probably won't, mostly because I've just had it with Windows, so am looking into Linux for my next laptop.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Given all the negativity with Window 10, I was rather surprised to find I rather like it. It's not anywhere near the demon it's been made out to be.