• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Different types of deer runs

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So I'm working on a set of animations for the mule deer and caribou. I noticed that some deer run with a high bounce and others with a lower bounce. So I called a deer zoo and the lady said that it depends on the kind of deer. So I'm including a high bounce and low bounce run. However I was watching a video of a deer running and jumping on the beach and I can see about 4 different kinds of runs in that one video. I just did another one based on the video. I'm thinking about calling it Playful run. Does anyone know if these different kinds of runs have names?

I decided to use "pronking" for one of the things I've seen deer do in the videos. I think this applies more to gazelle but it's the same move basically.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Do different species still tend to use one more than the others, so you could name each after its most common type (e.g Antelope Leap)? Pronking or stotting are both names for the behaviour. Sheep do it too.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
No not really, they all run, they all trot and amble and walk. Yah I saw stotting too. I would love to see a video of your sheep stotting. Do they do that more when they are happy?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I would love to see a video of your sheep stotting. Do they do that more when they are happy?

I'd love to be able to get video, but by the time I get the phone out and set up they're usually too far away! It seems to be play behaviour, although they will do it occasionally if startled into running away (they scatter when startled rather than flocking together, I think it's because they're an old breed not a modern one). The lambs bound around quite frequently, but the adults will too from time to time- they do play, chasing and pronking, just not as often as the lambs. They'll probably do more after shearing, which will be in the next month or so, those fleeces get quite heavy and I think they like feeling lighter!

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I would probably use names similar to run types of other large 4 legged animals - like Run, Canter, Charge, Lope, gallop, trot...

Looking up definitions to these names will help associate them with the run types as well... for example Lop is a long bounding stride, Canter is a 3 beat gait between a trot and a gallop... so a 3 beat gait followed by a long bounding stride would then be a canter-lope...
I am sure there are other terms than these, these are just what came to mind quickly from my days trying to write fantasy.

Hope this helps.

Carey

Extraordinary
Deer have a high center of gravity and springs built into their legs..Caribou have two big a foot and they sort of clip clop around...If you want I have their number you can talk to them yourself...lol

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Here's what I ended up with

Need to finish it up and submit it. I'm still wondering why deer run more like rabbits than horses. I tried looking at some evolutionary charts but can't figure it out.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh and I'm not sure they actually trot but one of my testers like it so I left it in.

They also jump differently than horses.

Carey

Extraordinary
deer have their power in their rear legs.. they move forward on the movement of their rear legs not front legs....reindeere don't leap they trot well that except the flying kind....

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
@Carey I'm so glad you found this thread and replied. Reindeer run a lot more like horses then deer. I see what you mean about the clip clop.

I found this video: