• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that our store and forum are on two separate servers so you will require a separate login for each. The store will ask you for your Real Name (WILL NOT BE displayed to the public) and the forum will ask you for a User Name (WILL BE displayed to the public). You may use the same email address and password for both.

Different types of deer runs

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So I'm working on a set of animations for the mule deer and caribou. I noticed that some deer run with a high bounce and others with a lower bounce. So I called a deer zoo and the lady said that it depends on the kind of deer. So I'm including a high bounce and low bounce run. However I was watching a video of a deer running and jumping on the beach and I can see about 4 different kinds of runs in that one video. I just did another one based on the video. I'm thinking about calling it Playful run. Does anyone know if these different kinds of runs have names?

I decided to use "pronking" for one of the things I've seen deer do in the videos. I think this applies more to gazelle but it's the same move basically.

HaiGan

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
Do different species still tend to use one more than the others, so you could name each after its most common type (e.g Antelope Leap)? Pronking or stotting are both names for the behaviour. Sheep do it too.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
No not really, they all run, they all trot and amble and walk. Yah I saw stotting too. I would love to see a video of your sheep stotting. Do they do that more when they are happy?

HaiGan

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
I would love to see a video of your sheep stotting. Do they do that more when they are happy?
I'd love to be able to get video, but by the time I get the phone out and set up they're usually too far away! It seems to be play behaviour, although they will do it occasionally if startled into running away (they scatter when startled rather than flocking together, I think it's because they're an old breed not a modern one). The lambs bound around quite frequently, but the adults will too from time to time- they do play, chasing and pronking, just not as often as the lambs. They'll probably do more after shearing, which will be in the next month or so, those fleeces get quite heavy and I think they like feeling lighter!

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I would probably use names similar to run types of other large 4 legged animals - like Run, Canter, Charge, Lope, gallop, trot...

Looking up definitions to these names will help associate them with the run types as well... for example Lop is a long bounding stride, Canter is a 3 beat gait between a trot and a gallop... so a 3 beat gait followed by a long bounding stride would then be a canter-lope...
I am sure there are other terms than these, these are just what came to mind quickly from my days trying to write fantasy.

Hope this helps.