• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio 4.9 Official Release

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I have copies of most of my DS program downloads going back a long way, I hope I'll still be able to download 4.9 and bring it back to the boat for future installation. What I tend to do is keep the previous version (in this case 4.8) installed, and install and use the public build (in this case 4.9) and then I have both installed happily on the one machine. The public build is usually not much different to the release version. Been doing that for a couple of years now.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The problem is, Lorraine, I believe DS won't allow you to do that. I have DS 3A and DS 4.0P both installed because they're totally different versions. But two versions of DS 4+, no I think the software was changed with version 4.5 so that it overwrites if you try to install it on the same hard drive.

That said, if you can run it off an external hard drive, that you might be able to do, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it on the same hard drive.

Lorraine

I don't have two public releases, I have one official public release and one public build (beta). They run happily side by side and don't overwrite. If I install the 4.9 public release it will write over 4.8 and that would peeve me no end. So I will keep the 4.9 stashed away in case I want to upgrade to that someday and download another public build to run beside it.

Lorraine

I've been using the 4.9 beta and now release without connect the whole time. I never installed the CMS because, well, smart content can shove it. LOL
I get an error about studio not finding a valid connection to the CMS (since, yanno, it doesn't exist :p), but I just click ok and move on.

My 4.9 beta has been doing the same but I am running CMS too. I never use smart content either so I am now going to delete it if DS will run fine without it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't have two public releases, I have one official public release and one public build (beta). They run happily side by side and don't overwrite. If I install the 4.9 public release it will write over 4.8 and that would peeve me no end. So I will keep the 4.9 stashed away in case I want to upgrade to that someday and download another public build to run beside it.
Ohhhhh OK. I didn't realize one was a beta. Yes then it should work.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Ah, no, they don't unfortunately. Legacy versions of PRODUCTS, yes, but not of the software.

The ONLY version available now is 4.9

That's interesting because it was only after I changed the settings that the different versions showed up. I had searched that folder before and had only been able to find one version of DS. After changing it and more recently when I went to search for DS4.8 to make a backup copy of it I discovered all the versions. The interesting thing is that they are all exe files not zips. I just checked. I haven't downloaded anything outside of dim since it started so should only have zips, but I have all the version DS4's as exe files. There must be a category for exe files as well as legacy content. I was so cross when I found out it had been reset I downloaded everything to make sure I had it all.

@Lorraine, if you use categories at all it won't work without cms. I don't use Smart content but I do use categories...so I have my cms running.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I install the separate DS/PS versions ever since they started switching to proper DS versions and not just StudioCF, but since some of the filenames are the same, DIM tells me I have product updates for the CF versions when I have the full version installed. >.>

Miss B

CV-BEE
After changing it and more recently when I went to search for DS4.8 to make a backup copy of it I discovered all the versions. The interesting thing is that they are all exe files not zips. I just checked. I haven't downloaded anything outside of dim since it started so should only have zips, but I have all the version DS4's as exe files. There must be a category for exe files as well as legacy content. I was so cross when I found out it had been reset I downloaded everything to make sure I had it all.
I'm finding that very odd Pen, as all mine for DS 4.7 and DS 4.8 are zips. DS 4.9 I have hidden because I have no plans of downloading it, but I suspect it's a zip as well.

I just opened DIM and checked to see if they have a category for exe files, and I don't see where you could choose that. The list is basically for the different software, private builds (betas usually), public publics, and the like, but nowhere do I see an option to choose between exes or zips. I don't think DIM recognizes exe files, just the zips with the accompanying metadata files with the same names.

Lorraine

if you use categories at all it won't work without cms. I don't use Smart content but I do use categories...so I have my cms running

No, I don't use categories, I've got everything organised in folders and use a program called Everything to find things I want.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm finding that very odd Pen, as all mine for DS 4.7 and DS 4.8 are zips. DS 4.9 I have hidden because I have no plans of downloading it, but I suspect it's a zip as well.

I just opened DIM and checked to see if they have a category for exe files, and I don't see where you could choose that. The list is basically for the different software, private builds (betas usually), public publics, and the like, but nowhere do I see an option to choose between exes or zips. I don't think DIM recognizes exe files, just the zips with the accompanying metadata files with the same names.

I don't understand it...I just know that it happened after I changed the settings in DIM and basically ticked to download everything. I don't get it myself...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
No, I don't use categories, I've got everything organised in folders and use a program called Everything to find things I want.
Then you won't have a problem...I need it to use categories which I have set up exactly as I like.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't understand it...I just know that it happened after I changed the settings in DIM and basically ticked to download everything. I don't get it myself...
Oh I'd be stymied too Pen. I can certainly understand how you feel about it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, just out of curiosity, I just went to check my Product Library, and when I clicked on the DS 4.9 link, it had download links for those who prefer not to use DIM, and lo and behold, it's an exe download. How that got into DIM though is still a mystery to me. Hmmmmmm, ~scratches head~

Lorraine

I'm glad they are still there, Miss B, means I can download it next time I'm ashore and on wifi.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh yes, they didn't do away with those. They really couldn't because they knew not everyone would want to use DIM for whatever reason, so there had to be an alternative method to download your purchases. It's just the older versions of DS that say (inactive) next to their name in the list, and can't be downloaded any more.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I actually wish that I had a second pc that I could use to test-run 4.9.

That said - I will not buy any Connect-only product. If there is no manual install option, they lose the sale from me. Simple as that. I do not use DIM, and I won't use Connect.

I'd like to take a look at 4.9, sure. But I won't risk it with my computer, period. Doesn't matter how many flashy new bells and whistles they've added to the software. I have a vehemently strong dislike for a lot of what Daz has been doing with their software, and I have my 4.8 install files backed up in at least three different locations, believe you me. LOL

If I had a second system, I would install 4.9 just to test it out. I only have my laptop, though, so that's not going to happen. And I won't update to it, either.

I'm going to wait out all the Connect stuff. I'll pick up the stuff in my wishlist that continues to have manual install options. But I haven't really been purchasing a lot from them anyway. Not since Genesis 1. Mostly what I pick up over there are utilities that allow for conversion of stuff between figures... other than that, it's shaders and architectural/environmental props and the like.

Won't be any skin off my back to sit by and hold onto my wallet. The moment a company - ANY company - tries to regulate what, where, when, and in what software I use paid for content, they've overstepped their bounds. There is protecting copyrighted material, and then there is screwing their customer base. Right now, Daz is doing the second, while trying to do the first, and yanno what? That's them, let them have at it.

I doubt they'll see much of a drop in sales. I suspect it will mostly be people like me who have personally customized library organizations and have been at this for many years that stop buying. There are too many newer users that have been cultivated by Daz to expect everything to be point-and-click-done, and many of them will most likely just keep buying and move up to the latest/newest versions and file delivery without questions.

That said... I'll be sticking to 4.8, 3Delight, and I won't buy ANY product that does not also have a manual install available. And these days I spend more on Hivewire stuff than I do Daz stuff anyway, so it's no skin off my back! :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I happen to agree with you about the manual install option Seliah. I do use DIM, but only for downloading so I don't have to sit and download one file at a time, but always install manually, because I too have my DS and Poser runtimes customized the way I prefer to work.