• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio 4.9 Official Release

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
BE VERY CAUTIOUS!!!

I didn't plan to install DS 4.9 but I went to DIM to download it (I have things set to ONLY download and not install). It installed and hosed my DS 4.8 installation, with the program open at the time. Fortunately I had a backup of the install files for 4.8

If you download 4.9 it will overwrite your install files for 4.8, so be SURE to make a backup of them before using DIM!!!!!!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me Alisa. They've been doing things like that for their products for a long time. Now they're doing it for their software too.

I stopped updating with DS 4.0 Pro when the original Genesis came out, and this new DS 4.9 is Cloud Available ONLY!!! That means everything has to be done with that option, so I wouldn't upgrade to this new version even if I was using DS 4.8. I can understand DAZ wanting to safeguard their products, but from what I understand, it means you can't use those products in their other software such as Bryce and Carrara, though I could be mistaken about that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm waiting to see...there are a lot of people still reporting problems with installing it. For the moment I will stay with DS4.8.

Sorry to hear that Alisa...

I'm not sure about DAZ connect and I won't be buying encrypted content. I agree with the person in one of the threads that what they are doing is punishing people who actually pay for their product while having no real effect on pirates and torrent sites.

Just a note...I recently realised that at some point my DIM had been reset from my settings so I missed downloading a lot of legacy content...including Lisa's Day Lilies which I knew I had. (Testing that was what made me realise that stuff was missing and yes I have way to much content.) There was such a huge amount of content that I just set it to download. When I reset I re-downloaded all the missing Versions of Daz that had been overwritten. I found this out accidentally as I went looking when 4.9 was originally mentioned and discovered them sitting in my downloads. So check your settings on DIM if you are downloading via it.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@Alisa Straaaaange. I didn't have that experience when I updated. I was able to download both 4.9 and the new Photoshop bridge without either of them auto-installing on me. I used DIM for both. Finicky software. lol

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I won't be downloading it if it's cloud only...no way am I going to use that much expensive dat just to get a program. I think my Daz store days are finishing as I too will not be buying DIM products. I get so little there now it really won't affect me but I will miss Stonemason. He's a fellow Kiwi and I adore his work...you can get NZ plants and trees in some of his sets too.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I remember a couple/three years ago when they had a major earthquake right nearby to where he lives, and no one could reach him as he was staying somewhere else because he had no heat, water or electricity.

Lorraine

Mmm, that was the Christchurch earthquake, a really bad one, so many killed and Christchurch still hasn't recovered.

Miss B

CV-BEE
YES, now I remember. That's near where he lives. I just couldn't remember the name of the town/city where it was centered.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks :) While I'm irked, I DO have a backup of my 4.8 files so was able to set things back as they should be. I just want people to be SURE that they keep a copy of the 4.8 install files if they have ANY questions about using 4.9

Just a note...I recently realised that at some point my DIM had been reset from my settings so I missed downloading a lot of legacy content...including Lisa's Day Lilies which I knew I had. (Testing that was what made me realise that stuff was missing and yes I have way to much content.) There was such a huge amount of content that I just set it to download. When I reset I re-downloaded all the missing Versions of Daz that had been overwritten. I found this out accidentally as I went looking when 4.9 was originally mentioned and discovered them sitting in my downloads. So check your settings on DIM if you are downloading via it.

Not quite understanding - you're not saying DIM overwrote Legacy content are you? That shouldn't happen.

@Alisa Straaaaange. I didn't have that experience when I updated. I was able to download both 4.9 and the new Photoshop bridge without either of them auto-installing on me. I used DIM for both. Finicky software. lol

Glad you didn't! It shocked the heck out of me!!

I won't be downloading it if it's cloud only...no way am I going to use that much expensive dat just to get a program. I think my Daz store days are finishing as I too will not be buying DIM products.

Just to make it clear, it's not DIM (Download Install Manager) that's cloud - it's DAZ Connect. From what I read in the beta threads you can download & use 4.9 without using Connect at all.

I do want to put 4.9 on another computer in order to look at it. I know with Connect you can not organize your data the old way via Windows Explorer to use in the Content Tab. what I'm unsure of is whether this is only the case if you use DAZ Connect or it's just how things are done in DS 4.9.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not quite understanding - you're not saying DIM overwrote Legacy content are you? That shouldn't happen.
When downloading through DIM, it will overwrite any file with the exact same name, and if the name has been changed in any way, once you quit, and then open DIM again, only the newly named files will be in the folder you use to download files. DIM only sees what's "in your account", so if your account has the newly named files, that's all it's going to see, and the other files will disappear from your download folder. It's basically the same action if you download, install, and then uninstall something. It will go back into the folder where you originally downloaded to, and disappear from your Installed list in DIM.

I found this out the hard way when the Morphing Fantasy Dress for Genesis 1 was updated. The 2 addon packs were still in DSF format, which is what I need for my DS 4.0 Pro, but the dress itself was now in DUF format, and no longer usable. Luckily, I regularly backup to my external hard drive, or I would have been S.O.L., as the saying goes.

I do want to put 4.9 on another computer in order to look at it. I know with Connect you can not organize your data the old way via Windows Explorer to use in the Content Tab. what I'm unsure of is whether this is only the case if you use DAZ Connect or it's just how things are done in DS 4.9.
These are reasons, especially the organizing of data, that's turned me off. Even if I had DS 4.8, I wouldn't be upgrading to DS 4.9, even if I could ignore Cloud Available.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Mmm, that was the Christchurch earthquake, a really bad one, so many killed and Christchurch still hasn't recovered.
Yep...remember that well.

Because they seem to overwrite the release version with the new release I thought I had missed a number of versions because I hadn't realised this until too late. However when I reset to allow legacy content they were all there and I know they weren't there previously as I hunted for them many times before giving up and living with the weight mapping that crashed but now I have all the copies. I'm not sure how that would work can only say that's what happened to me.

I thought it was really weird but maybe they refer to previous versions of ds as legacy versions and have them show up under legacy settings? That is speculation on my part though.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yes, I see that there'd be an issue when the format changed (though they did at least still have have legacy files for many older products)

I'm not understanding what exactly Pen is saying. Sounds like she is saying that she can no longer download Lisa's Daylily at ALL, not that there is no longer a dsf or dsa version?

I don't keep files in the DIM Download folder. I move them to another location and make a blank zip file with the same name that stays in the DIM Download folder.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ah, I think I get it Pen. In DIM, you need to click on the gear top right of the window, then under "Download" click ALL of them you want. Legacy stuff is now in a separate zip file.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...that's it. I had it setup and during one of the updates to DIM it changed my settings and some products I missed downloading. When I changed it to downloading everything I found that the versions I couldn't find were now there. So even though the latest release of DS retains the same name they must have the others still listed but as legacy products...

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Ah, no, they don't unfortunately. Legacy versions of PRODUCTS, yes, but not of the software.

The ONLY version available now is 4.9

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ah, no, they don't unfortunately. Legacy versions of PRODUCTS, yes, but not of the software.

The ONLY version available now is 4.9
Ohhhh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about software only. In that case, yes, the other versions become "inactive" in the product library, and unavailable in DIM.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
My Studio software goes back to version 3, but 4.5 is the earliest that still has a download for it. It's a manual download so you'd need to grab it from your product library and not DIM.

Lorraine

Just to make it clear, it's not DIM (Download Install Manager) that's cloud - it's DAZ Connect. From what I read in the beta threads you can download & use 4.9 without using Connect at all.

I'm the one that's DIM, I meant to type DRM. My approaching 60's are obviously affecting me early :eek:

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I've been using the 4.9 beta and now release without connect the whole time. I never installed the CMS because, well, smart content can shove it. LOL
I get an error about studio not finding a valid connection to the CMS (since, yanno, it doesn't exist :p), but I just click ok and move on.