• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio 4.9 Official Release

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
So to me, it was just a much faster way to get zip files on my computer than going to each order and downloading them one by one. Again, I ONLY use it to download the products by selecting them and saying "ok, stick this zip file on my computer".
That's my only purpose for DIM as well. No one absolutely MUST use DIM to install. It may be time consuming, because you can be doing other things while DIM installs content, but unzipping each to a dummy folder on my desktop then allows me to move those folders where I want them, and not necessarily as they are set up in the zip.

It does also give you updated versions of things (in a different section where, as with the products, you can choose which products to download.).
That, in itself, is the one reason I would never stop using DIM for downloading. Otherwise, there's no way to know what files have been updated. Granted, most of the updates in the past 3 or 4 months have been to add Connect/Cloud Available options/tags for content, but DAZ, unlike our Alisa here at HiveWire, doesn't announce on their forum when products have been updated, or at least they never did before. I only hang out in the Bryce forum, if at all, these days, so that might have changed, but I doubt it.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I've kept all my data on external drives for about a decade. I was able to easily bring over my DAZ & Poser content when I switched from PCs to Macs. I just copied the stuff over to a new hard drive formatted for Mac. When I got the new 27" iMac, I just switched the external hard drive from the Mac Mini to the new iMac. No problem at all!

This is me too. I keep my library on an external hard drive that goes with me from housesit to housesit (only to two places does the computer accompany me). DS is on the house computers and all I need to do is plug in my drive and I'm good to go. It also makes it really easy when I do a Windows reinstall.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
DAZ, unlike our Alisa here at HiveWire, doesn't announce on their forum when products have been updated, or at least they never did before. I only hang out in the Bryce forum, if at all, these days, so that might have changed, but I doubt it.

LOL - No, they don't do that. I would love it if there was a way to automate that and send info directly to customers who have bought a product :). I at least simplified my announcements from the way I did it on the old forum, so it's not too time consuming ;)

Of course, here, I'm the one who actually DOES the updates, so I'm aware of what's changed in order to announce it. I suspect that's not the case at DAZ.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I would love it if there was a way to automate that and send info directly to customers who have bought a product :).
Hmmmm, I think RDNA does that. I've gotten emails indicating when something's been updated, and even which file, if there are multiple files involved, needs to be redownloaded.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yes, but the store software has to be able to do that. At this point, ours doesn't. :)

I'm totally excited. I just finished recreating my "Runtimes," using DIM exclusively. I had created my custom characters in a different Runtime. That old Runtime is no longer "mapped." I copied my custom characters over to the new DIM Runtime, and it appears they work just fine!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Congratulations on your accomplishment! Now you won't have to be hesitant about using DIM to install in the future.

Thanks, Miss B. I made a huge accomplishment today with bad file references. After much fiddling, I totally eliminated all those pesky yellow exclamation marks! No more orphaned files. I made a couple short videos of the procedure. I'll put them together for a YouTube video in coming days.

I'm suffering from a chronic lack of oxygen related to my Sleep Apnea. I haven't done anything to fix the problem in over a year. I'll begin to address that situation in the coming weeks.

I created a new collection of DAZ Content. This is the only collection, all content was installed via DIM. Here's a video to show the Orphaned Files, and how I dealt with them.