• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
YEAH BABY!

What? It's only close to 6 years now since Dawn 1.0, followed by a couple of service releases, then our Dawn Special Edition.

We're beginning a new era for us. We've had some great support of our Dawn, Dusk, Baby Luna, Sora and others. We remain committed to serving this DS and Poser community, and we're focused on producing high quality content, whether it's human figures, characters, animals, botanicals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.

We brought forth our Dawn to a community that was fractured by the redirection of software, with the goal of creating figures and products for BOTH DAZ Studio and Poser users. It has been a huge challenge for us, and a lot of pushing uphill, more so then expected. Despite a heavy headwind, we're still here!!! Which is a surprise to many.

Dawn 2.0 will still be created for DS and Poser. With the goal of having her work equally as well in both programs, as much as the software will allow.

Some bullet items of interest to start with:

* We will provide a Dawn S.E. morph for backwards compatibility.

*Her new base shape will be slimmer than Dawn S.E., with a beautiful gorgeous face and head. Subjective of course.

* Her mesh topology will be reworked to be a pure quad mesh, that can be subdivided as needed. I'm told ZBrush has some challenges with triangulated meshes and it's a better practice to create a quad mesh.

*Her base mesh will still be heavy enough to support a majority of face, and body morphs without having to use Normal or displacement maps. Though these types of maps will greatly enhance detail and realism.

*She will have more morphs available in the base product, with additional morphs available in Value Stacks.

*Existing HiveWire morphs for Dawn S.E. will be carried forward and optimized for Dawn 2.0.

*We will create an additional new UV layout to service supporting artists expectations.

*She will have separate geometry for finger nails, and toe nails, with UV maps optimized for texture map artists.

*A new tear tube will be created for the bottom eyelid for juicy eyes if desired.

*Her extremely large set of eyelashes will be discarded on the base.

*She will have a new and improved rigging system.

*She will still have JCMs but not in extreme as seen with other competing figures.

*Her topology will be redirected to support a more sensible body grouping for rig support.

*She will have optimized materials for DS Iray, and Poser Superfly.

*Additional morphs will be added to support the needs of this caring community. So chime in, and if your morph ideas makes sense, and add significant value, we'll do our best to work it in. This is YOUR community figure, and we want her to work for your needs.

*Added geometry will be provided to support some genital shaping morphs.

*Geographed genitals will be contemplated for DS, and will be made available as an add-on if the desire is warranted.

*Dusk, Baby Luna, Sora, Ruckus, Creature heads, Gorillas, Mr. Pugley, and a few others have all been included into one very large Uber scene in Modo. When I cut up the topology and redirect to optimize our new Dawn, our other key figures will also be affected, and thus optimized for 2.0 releases to follow. They will all STILL share the same mesh, and can share morphs and new maps.

*Other tidbits and techie stuff to follow as this thread progresses.

I imagine some will ask about facial rigs and special handles to add control and such. None of these things I know about with any expertise, and will be better answered with discover by Paul and others. Also some will want to know a release date. We don't have one. Way too early for any of that. But... having said that I have my own set of wishes for Dawn 2.0, and one of those is to have her released by early summer.

A goal of revisiting our Dawn and making improvements is because well... she's older now, and needs an update to match the needs of this community. Also, I now have a huge nest egg stored up of animals that can still be advanced will little input from me, so I can focus on our core human figures for the bulk of my modeling efforts for a while now. We also wish to dispel the hearsay and rumors that have been propagated soon after the release of our Dawn 1.0 that she is unusable in Poser and Studio for that matter. Dawn S.E. works GREAT in both of these software products, and Dawn 2.0 will be even better.

Our team has been creating high quality content for this market since the early days of Poser and for Poser, and before the thought of Studio was even conceived by me and Dan Farr. We know what we're doing and can do it well. We create what we love and what we're very good at. So with all of this having been said, as a lead in to this thread, we collectively give you our new WORK IN PROGRESS of our Dawn 2.0. Reworked topology is not shown here yet because I couldn't help myself, I just needed to showcase our early shaping of our new base thus far.

Your thoughts and impressions most welcome. Know too that added morphs can work wonders to fill the needs of the many.

Dawn2Work7.JPG

Dawn2Work8.JPG

Dawn2Work9.JPG

Dawn2Work10.JPG

Dawn2Work11.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
A few early close ups. I've reworked her head for an improved look and more natural shape. Not such an upright forehead and cranium. I've also reshaped her nose here and lips, cheeks, jawline and chin. She has a more slender neck as well.

Dawn2Work12.JPG
Dawn2Work13.JPG

These first 2 images are orthographic view.

Dawn2Work14.JPG

Dawn2Work15.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
A few screen grabs of body shots. Notice the thinner neck, thinner upper arms and forearms. Her body posture is altered as well. She's not so stiff and straight, but her body has more of s natural curve and slope from the side view. In other words her body sits under her better. She has a smaller upper torso now and not as deep from front to back. I've also brought her shoulder blades up and in. Still playing with the navel, could be a bit smaller now, but it has a more natural shape to it.

I've also created some subtle stuff, like a natural slope from the upper chest into the breast area, a softer under edge on her gluts. Playing with the rib line shaping into the abs.

Dawn2Work1.JPG

Dawn2Work2.JPG

Dawn2Work3.JPG

Dawn2Work4.JPG
Dawn2Work5a.JPG

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Personally I'd like to see the nose less distintive, the shpaing on the tip may be a pain to get rid of, I know one of the Daz base characters has that and its really hard to morph out

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Personally I'd like to see the nose less distintive, the shpaing on the tip may be a pain to get rid of, I know one of the Daz base characters has that and its really hard to morph out

I'm not sure I follow. I've already morphed this same nose mesh into a wide variety. What I'm presenting here is just one. The mesh can support a myriad of shapes without issue. This new nose shape just happens to be more distinctive and less generic or vanilla. Having said that I will tweak it some more. So thank you.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I'm not sure I follow. I've already morphed this same nose mesh into a wide variety. What I'm presenting here is just one. The mesh can support a myriad of shapes without issue. This new nose shape just happens to be more distinctive and less generic or vanilla. Having said that I will tweak it some more. So thank you.

Ok I may have misunderstood; are you saying that this is not the default nose?

Attachments

• Dawn2.JPG
    Dawn2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 576

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Boy did I ever go to sleep way too early last night! I'm loving what I'm seeing Chris, and it definitely :doesnotsuck:!!!

That said, so far my only comment is, yes I'd like to see her navel/belly button smaller. The only question I have, which will make this end user very, very, VERY happy is, with the separate fingernail mesh you (or Paul) will be including morphs to change the length of her fingernails to suit? I've always been adding the morph from other Dawn characters that include them, so it would DEFINITELY be a plus, and time saver, to have them included with her base mesh. ~hint, hint, hint~

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
She's looking good!

I like your idea of enlarging the prominence on her Ulna.

Here are my suggestions from the Dawn 2.0? topic. I'm sure I'll think of more (Yep. I did!)
  • A Foot Pressure morph to flatten and spread the foot and toes (heel, ball of the foot, and toes) similar to the Dog and Cat Paw Pad Pressure morph
I'd also like to see additional morphs for the Feet and Hands:
  • Foot Narrow, ToesNarrow (Negative values of both don't seem to do anything), as well as an Ankle Bone Protrude
  • Wrist Bone Protrude.
Could AnkleThin be moved to Feet rather than Legs since WristThin is under Hands, not Arms.

I've never been crazy about the rib and "six pack" protrusions, but I'd like to see more definition in the Leg, Feet, Arms, and Hands, as well as a morph to smooth/lessen the Ribs and Abs protrusions.
  • Smooth Abs (Figure 3)
  • Definition2 (Figure 1 & 2)
  • I frequently use the separate Head, Torso, LegLeft, LegRight, ArmLeft, ArmRight morphs (Aged, Amazon, BodyBuilder, Chubby, Obses1, Obese2, Pear) and would like to see Definition (and Definition2) available as separate Head, Torso, LegLeft, LegRight, ArmLeft, ArmRight morphs.
While I attempted more defined hands and feet with Aoide, I'm not an anatomy person. But in addition to narrow hands and feet morphs, I'd like morphs to make the knuckles and toe joints more prominent (especially for older versions of Dawn) (Figure 4)

What I'm hoping for is something along these lines.
Granted, this can be currently achieved through the use of current morphs (listed on each figure).

Figure 1 - Upper

Dawn Upper.jpg

Figure 2 - Lower

Dawn Lower.jpg

Figure 3 - Abs / Ribs Smooth

Dawn Upper AbsRibs Smooth.jpg

Figure 4 - Aoide Hands and Feet

Dawn Aoide Hands Feet.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
While I attempted more defined hands and feet with Aoide, I'm not an anatomy person. But in addition to narrow hands and feet morphs, I'd like morphs to make the knuckles and toe joints more prominent (especially for older versions of Dawn) (Figure 4)
I have to agree with this suggestion. While playing with the La Femme character, I noticed she loads with her knuckles pronounced, but they included a morph to "Smooth Knuckles". Here we can do the opposite, by having Dawn's knuckles smooth by default, but having an added morph to make them more pronounced as Satira suggests.

In fact, I'm liking all of Satira's suggestions. I'm not one who's ever gotten into character creation, but Satira does it all the time, so having these additional options will make Dawn 2.0's base easier for folks who do it all the time, and for those, like myself, who might want to attempt creating their own characters.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Since I could not reply to posts on the original thread I guess I will need to post here (would help bringing those posts here for continuity sake, no?)
NO! Absolutely not "THE CARMEN" for her gen morph! Too personal Chris and it implies too much for me anyway....(Is that what you all think of me!?)....unless you add more details! Hell if I am going to be saddled with that nomiker might as well make it deliciously detailed LOL
The foot flat weight pressure morph is a nice idea as long as it also spreads the foot especially the ball of the foot and toes as well.

AerySoul added it for his last WM solution for V4+ sold for short time at RDNA before they changed their name AGAIN pulled out of yet another vendor site RDNA and flew back to DAZ to work their GENESIS figures. I don't think there is a single other vendor who has gone through so many name changes and store closures and moves than them. Though they have done great work through the years and I have purchased almost all their products going back to V2, all those changes and moves have been fatiguing!