• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Damn Hurricane

eclark1894

Visionary
I live in North Carolina. We had one of those "houseguests" that you don't want to see, but they come visit you anyway, and when they leave everything's a mess. Well, Hurricane Matthew was the houseguest, and when he came to town, he left things in a shambles. We're still cleaning up. Me, I'v been in one powerless building or another all weekend. My house still doesn't have the power back yet. Of course, everybody all around me does. Literally. I'm typing this on my work machine. I had to come to work so I could watch the season premiere of Supergirl. Anyway, time to go home to a pitch black house.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry to hear that!

By the time it got here, it was just a heavy rain storm. At least ... I think. Since I don't go out in the world on my days off, I haven't seen any damage.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hope the power's back on soon, Earl. My heart's with all affected by Matthew...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Sorry to hear that!

By the time it got here, it was just a heavy rain storm. At least ... I think. Since I don't go out in the world on my days off, I haven't seen any damage.
You think that heavy rain we had in the North East yesterday was part of Matthew? I didn't think he got this far north yet. From prediction images I've seen, he's supposed to turn to sea about half way up the coast. I certainly hope so, as we're right on the coast. ~shakes head~

Sorry to hear you were affected by Matthew, Earl. Take it easy, and we'll see you when the lights go back on.

Virtual_World

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
So Sorry! I understand how you feel, where I live we were without electricity and water for almost a week; but for a different reason.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So sorry to hear that Earl...hope it's all back on soon.

VW, hope your electricity is back on too!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The last update Sunday was that Hurricane Matthew continued to move northeast out of the Philadelphia area and would be completely gone by the afternoon.

Glad you have power back Earl!!!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
SO SO sorry you went through all that Earl. My mom is down in Florida, luckily on the Gulf side so she just got rain and some wind. Sounds like Mathew still had some hot air to blow by the time it got to the Carolina's. I was under the impressing he was running out of steam but you know forecasters, they are wrong more times than they are right it seems.

Glad your electricity is back. WHEW!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad you got your power back Earl. I've gone through a couple/three blackouts years ago, and they're no fun at all.

eclark1894

Visionary
Glad you got your power back Earl. I've gone through a couple/three blackouts years ago, and they're no fun at all.
No, they're not. I'm a child of the 60s though, in semi-rural NC. I didn't have much experience with "rustic" living, but I have had some. Including outhouses and pee pots.;):eek:

If you're a millennial, you're probably going to die if your power ever goes out for any real length of time.:sneaky:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
HAHAHA you said it Earl. I can live by a candle and gas stove, as I've done in my current building with it's ancient wiring. Electrical goes off for a few days every year it seems. This year we got a reprieve from this ongoing issue for what ever reason but I don't count on it NOT happening again!

Miss B

CV-BEE
We haven't had any blackouts here in NYC for decades, but I think that's owing to Con Ed's cutting the power down some during the really hot summer months. It's annoying to say the least when your A/C isn't running as high as it usually does, but when they do that, they're cutting down on the high usage that often causes the blackouts. I guess in the long run, it's better. I'd rather this than having no power at all.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thing is, it's been awhile since a hurricane has hit us here in NC. This one wasn't even that bad. Matthew just grazed us. I used to prepare for hurricanes by having batteries, matches, candles and tap lights. I got cocky and didn't do what I should have. Gonna change that, starting next paycheck.

P.S. Something I'm sure Richard can attest to, and ladies, you can ask your significant male counterparts, if you "graze" a man in just the right spot though, he'll still go down... hard.;);););):sneaky:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thing is, it's been awhile since a hurricane has hit us here in NC. This one wasn't even that bad. Matthew just grazed us. I used to prepare for hurricanes by having batteries, matches, candles and tap lights. I got cocky and didn't do what I should have. Gonna change that, starting next paycheck.
I did that in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy back in 2012, and now I have a flashlight in every room, and I hoard AA and AAA batteries. I do use some of them for various other reasons, like my book light, and this WiFi keyboard I'm typing on, all the time, but I keep buying more to make sure I have a good supply.

Carey

Extraordinary
Had power go out for eleven days in the heart of winter here a few years ago, Had to find homes for several birds very quickly and several died. It cost us thousands of dollars that insurance would not cover and we literally had to beg to get our power back and was able to get a temporary hook up due to me being disabled, which just meant we had to pay 200.00 for the temporary hookup, then pay to be disconnected so they could repair the line to make it a normal hook up. All of which we had to pay for.The electric company did give us 37.00 dollars back for loss of service though. The city refused to cut down the rotten old tree that cause the problem, but agreed to finally trim it...a little bit....

Sounds like you made out Okay, it could have been so much worse, still My thoughts identify with the pain you went through...

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yeah, we've had a lot of power outages over the years in our last home..lots of trees, times when we had days without power. We may be facing that again right now, as the remnants of Typhoon Songda is about to crash into Washington State this afternoon - high wind warnings, so not sure if power will be out and if so, for how long. We live in one of the typically more sheltered areas, but we'll see.

Interestingly, Hurricanes, Cyclones, & Typhoons are all the same thing -intense low pressure systems, only difference is where they are:

Hurricanes: Atlantic and Northeast Pacific
Typhoons: Northwest Pacific
Cyclones: South Pacific and Indian Ocean.