• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

D-Forms and Distribution?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wish we had those real-time modifiers in Poser as well, but on the other hand, we have the Morphing Tool to fix such things permanently. Somehow, those modifiers can slow a scene down because they are applying global corrections in real-time. I wish we could apply those corrections only at selected trouble areas instead of globally to the entire outfit. It's great to hear that D-formers also have weight maps now. In what version was this introduced?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I love the smoothing and push modifiers and wouldn't be without them. I find that as long as they're not set to extreme amounts they don't slow my system down and I don't have a high end system.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like them too, except when they cannot fix pokethrus no matter what amount is applied. They are either go or break. If I increase the value, it has side-effects at other parts of the outfit, so we have no localized control with them. Things like pokethrus are a localized issue, and should be handled on a local scope. Unfortunately, these modifiers can only be applied globally. However, conforming works so much better in DS that we end up with way less pokethrus in general. But when they happen, global modifiers should not be the only way to handle them. That's why I think DS really needs something like the Morphing Tool - not only for content users, but also for creators to fix morphs without having to use external tools.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Stubborn poke-thru - I also use Push Modifiers to deal with this as well, generally at values of 0.10 or 0.20 is enough to fix what poke-thru remains after adding a Smoothing Modifier.

Another thing on smoothing modifiers - if I find it's slowing my scene down, I just turn them off (there's an on/off button in the Parameters tab) - then I finish building my scene and turn them back on before I go to final render... that does help, and I do the exact same thing with Sub-D as well for the same reasons.

I agree that a more localized solution would be better, though. And sometimes I will just break out the d-forms and make a quick on-the-fly poke-thru fix of my own when the poke thru is just a small spot in one place or two.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I haven't had any luck with posing hair via D-forms in DS. I will have to give it a try on the Poser magnets the next time I'm in Poser, though! That's a great idea, and something I never thought to try until well after I had migrated to DS... LOL. :D Thanks for the reminder, Ken!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Exactly! For those who want to do the job in house, these are the tools to use. ^^