• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Copyright

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Hello,

Not sure where to post this, (please move if needed.)

I am starting to build a (Horse)carousel. I purchased [a license to use] the HW Horse and need some info as if I can use a posed static model(obj file) of HW Horse to create a mesh around [the shape of] it. I would not be extracting any mesh from HW horse, only using the shape as a guide for my own mesh. (The mesh(model) of the horse I want to build would be a single mesh that includes the saddle/tac and various decorations etc.)

If that would be an issue. Would I be allowed to take rendered images of the HW horse and use those as a guide for my model?

Regards,

Steve

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
It sounds like a cool project. @Chris would be better at addressing the technical aspects of this than I would.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds very similar to what someone making clothing does so I think it would be okay but best to check with Chris.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Hello,
Thank you all for the replies. :flower01:

I know it can be a bit of a grey area, so that is why I asked.
I know if the model would just be for my own use it would not be a problem. But because others may want the carousel when it is finished, I need to take care and ask.

There is no rush for a answer. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I'd love to have a carousel Steve, and welcome to the HiveWire forums from me as well. ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yes welcome Steve. Good to see you here. Sounds like you have an ambitious project on your hands. I wish you luck with it for sure.

We have our End User License Agreement found on the bottom left of our home page for your review. If you look at #8 Derivative Content you'll see that what you would have in mind would indeed be in violation as you'd be using our original mesh even though you pose it, as a template or guide to create from, with your new mesh being derived from the HiveWire mesh.

But, if you simply use it as a guide or an extra resource among other resources and try not to match ours exactly, then you'd be fine. Does this help?

As a publisher of artist's content that often refers to our mesh as a starting point to work from, we often see a real need to make realistic concessions. If you were to submit your final product to HiveWire to sell here, we'd have more leniency.

I'd say just be careful not to make it look like our model. Again, just use ours as an extra resource. Also, we'd have no problem with you using a 2D rendered images as a guide.

I use photos and combinations of photos as guides and helps for creating 3D meshes a lot. But they don't end up looking like a specific image.

Hope this helps Steve.

I'm impressed that you'd even be asking your questions. Kudos to you, and good luck with your project.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

If I think the model may infringe(on your copyright/EULA) in any way, I will send you the model [for you to check] before I give it to 3rd party.

Best Regards.

Steve

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sounds perfect Steve. Thank you so much.

I'm so sorry for this late response on my part.