• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Converting JPEG textures into IRAY shaders...?

brian foley

Has anyone seen a tutorial on this or even have done it yourself...?

I own ParticleFX for DS and the only thing stopping us from bringing this back to DS users is IRAY...
In 3Delight ParticleFX works...
In iray it doesnt...

brian foley

Very simple I might say...

All of my textures for ParticleFX are Mip mapped Jpegs..
I need to learn how to convert my jpegs into shaders for use in IRAY...
IRAY doesnt see the Particles from my emitters...Using instancing in DS thru my Plugin..

So the short Question...How do I do this...?
I am thinking I can still use the mip maps as the base texture then run the shaders off of that...?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I didn't know you could mip map Jpegs...I thought that was just dds files. Learn something new every day.

Yes I would imagine start by trying to link up an image. Might be easier to add your image to the item and import from the scene in Shader Mixer and see what you get. Don't start with the Iray shader if you want to keep it simple as it's like spaghetti...but if you don't mind that it will at least show what the set up is like.

brian foley

The problem I am running into is the Particals from my emitters is not seen as an object...
Hence I cant link a shader to...Man this stinks...
Must be a way to script this into the plugin...
If we can figure this out then everything is fine and dandy...

Never did get a reply back from Rob who created Daz Studio...

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Is Iray materials and Iray shaders the same thing? If you create a texture for 3delight, how do you make it an iray material? And is it even necessary?

On a similar subject: is there a way to convert .duf material files to .mc6 so the Poser users can use them?

brian foley

Yup just checked her page she has great tutorials which I will use in Renderings...
Alas tho nothing on converting 2d textures to shaders...
So I am thinking I need to learn how to convert to DAZ shaders first, then convert the DAZ shaders to IRAY...Maybe...?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I talked to some of my resources on FB DAZ Addicts, and they said, that you generally take the surfaces and apply the Iray Uber Shader to them, and then apply any other iray shaders you need. And viola you have Iray textures. If that's wrong, I'd be happy to hear what's different. As for shaders, though, they seem to be a whole different animal.