• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Converting DS G3F/G8F hair to Poser

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OK, so I saw this AprilYSH hair over at DAZ and just love it. I've waited a very long time to see a really good small curl, curly hair. So I had to grab it even if I don't have G3F, G8F or DAZ.

I found a friend with the hair and had them export the object and the morph objects out for me and proceeded to rig the hair as a prop for Dawn and/or Dusk. It really is one of April's better hair styles.

Took me all of about 25 minutes to rig it as prop hair (I think prop hair is far more versatile) and load the materials.

Karissa hair for Dawn/Dusk
KarissaHairDawn.jpg

quietrob

Extraordinary
You were able to do this without the aid of the DSON importer? It looks quite amazing. I've less than a little luck when trying to use G2F hair on a poser character when just importing it via DSON and parenting the hair to the head after resizing and rotation. While I don't have any DAZ friends that aren't here, at least it gives me hope because I'm interested in a couple of hair props but hesitate on blowing the cash on something I can't use in my favorite software.

Again, wonderful job!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You were able to do this without the aid of the DSON importer? It looks quite amazing. I've less than a little luck when trying to use G2F hair on a poser character when just importing it via DSON and parenting the hair to the head after resizing and rotation. While I don't have any DAZ friends that aren't here, at least it gives me hope because I'm interested in a couple of hair props but hesitate on blowing the cash on something I can't use in my favorite software.

Again, wonderful job!

I did. I have nothing DS installed on my computer except my old copy of DS3A. No DS4, no DSON.

It is dependent on a patient friend who will export the object from DAZ along with any morph objects and me just bringing them into Poser like any other modeled object needing rigging.

I purchased it, so I had all the textures and didn't need anyone to do any work on those.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Terms : Importer. DSON Importer.
Converter. The Willdial/Lululee Genesis 3 to Poser converter.

This is the hair I want to get into Poser. I spoke with a guru who said (To quote private correspondence so I won't reveal the guru) in regards to using the importer.

Hair and Clothing do not need to go through the converter. Word of caution. I have noticed that some vendors are getting very sloppy with rigging Genesis 3 items. Some times DSON Importer has trouble with them.
Bella Hair Add.jpg

So now I'm wary of using the Importer on G3 items. I do own the latest version of DAZ and Poser. I wasn't aware there was an OBJ file. I thought it was all some proprietary format.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Terms : Importer. DSON Importer.
Converter. The Willdial/Lululee Genesis 3 to Poser converter.

This is the hair I want to get into Poser. I spoke with a guru who said (To quote private correspondence so I won't reveal the guru) in regards to using the importer.

Hair and Clothing do not need to go through the converter. Word of caution. I have noticed that some vendors are getting very sloppy with rigging Genesis 3 items. Some times DSON Importer has trouble with them.
View attachment 27085

So now I'm wary of using the Importer on G3 items. I do own the latest version of DAZ and Poser. I wasn't aware there was an OBJ file. I thought it was all some proprietary format.

There is an OBJ file, it's just embedded in the duf file. Just export an object out and I'm certain some of the DS users here can tell you specifically what format to use.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The geometry is embedded in the duf file but can be exported as an object file from DS using the export menu. It can also be exported as a cr2 but if you want the morphs to show up they need to have been dialed in prior to exporting from memory.

RobZhena

Adventurous
I just started playing with Wilding G3F hair that I exported from DS as an obj. The rigging doesn't show up right in Poser if I export anything at all made for G3, so I'd love to hear how that works. I hadn't thought of exporting the dialed in morphs as obj's, too. I was experimenting with the new Blacksmith3D, which allows creation of movement morphs fairly easily.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The geometry is embedded in the duf file but can be exported as an object file from DS using the export menu. It can also be exported as a cr2 but if you want the morphs to show up they need to have been dialed in prior to exporting from memory.

Do you mean I have to activate the morphs before exporting them?
So I would dial in the morphs, export each one as an OBJ? I'm such a rookie. I always thought morphs were part of the pose files. RobZhena makes exporting G3 Hair extra perilous for those not aquainted with adding morphs. I mean, It would be best to export all the morphs to aid in fitting the piece as much as movement of the loose hairs pieces.

No! I didn't say minitutorial! (well it is a nice thought)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I just started playing with Wilding G3F hair that I exported from DS as an obj. The rigging doesn't show up right in Poser if I export anything at all made for G3, so I'd love to hear how that works. I hadn't thought of exporting the dialed in morphs as obj's, too. I was experimenting with the new Blacksmith3D, which allows creation of movement morphs fairly easily.

If you are working with an object file, there is no rigging.

Import the obj file, just move it into place with the translations dials, scale if necessary (I usually scale using each dial, not just scaling them all at once) parent the hair to the head (object>Set Parent) and then save as a smart prop. Again, I use prop hair if at all possible because it will fit more figures with a small bit of work.

Now, if you want to add back in the original morphs, you should have exported each morph as an object (sorry, you'll have to ask someone who uses DS how to) then, with the hair loaded and smart propped, choose Object>Load Morph Target and select the object file and name the morph (it will default to what you named the exported object). Repeat for each morph object you have available, then resave the smart prop with all the morphs set to 0.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think he was referring to my comment about cr2's
To be honest I havent tried to create cr2's that have the new ds weight mapping I would have expected it to work though, looks like its an aspect of ds that needs to be fixed if it doesn't. You could try converting it to triax though prior to exporting in the scene tab menu.

Do you mean I have to activate the morphs before exporting them?
So I would dial in the morphs, export each one as an OBJ? I'm such a rookie. I always thought morphs were part of the pose files. RobZhena makes exporting G3 Hair extra perilous for those not aquainted with adding morphs. I mean, It would be best to export all the morphs to aid in fitting the piece as much as movement of the loose hairs pieces.

No! I didn't say minitutorial! (well it is a nice thought)
To get the morphs to show when exporting to cr2 you have to dial them in first at least thats been my experience with them but I dont qualify as an expert.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
To be honest I havent tried to create cr2's that have the new ds weight mapping I would have expected it to work though, looks like its an aspect of ds that needs to be fixed if it doesn't. You could try converting it to triax though prior to exporting in the scene tab menu.

To get the morphs to show when exporting to cr2 you have to dial them in first at least thats been my experience with them but I dont qualify as an expert.

No they need to export object files, not a CR2.

RobZhena

Adventurous
If you are working with an object file, there is no rigging.

Import the obj file, just move it into place with the translations dials, scale if necessary (I usually scale using each dial, not just scaling them all at once) parent the hair to the head (object>Set Parent) and then save as a smart prop. Again, I use prop hair if at all possible because it will fit more figures with a small bit of work.

Now, if you want to add back in the original morphs, you should have exported each morph as an object (sorry, you'll have to ask someone who uses DS how to) then, with the hair loaded and smart propped, choose Object>Load Morph Target and select the object file and name the morph (it will default to what you named the exported object). Repeat for each morph object you have available, then resave the smart prop with all the morphs set to 0.

I should have clearer. I have never successfully exported a cr2 with G3 rigging and been able to convert it. Like you, I create a smart prop. But exporting the morphs as obj's and loading morph targets is a clever idea.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I should have clearer. I have never successfully exported a cr2 with G3 rigging and been able to convert it. Like you, I create a smart prop. But exporting the morphs as obj's and loading morph targets is a clever idea.

Yeah, you can't convert a DS GenesisX CR2 to a Poser anything. You have to deal with object files only.

The rigging is just too different.

I hear, however, that Genesis8 has regular weight mapping, not Triax. Not that I have a clue what that means coming from DAZ, which seems to re-define everything to their own terms, but it may mean conversion is easier. No clue.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I suppose I'm lucky. I've always been able to import Genesis 1 and 2 easily into Poser. There was that slight wait that made you think everything was going to crash and then it was in. Even old scenes using Genesis 2 chararacters still load without a glitch. However, importing and resizing Genesis 2 hair has always been a hair pulling hassle. The thing is, very few vendors still make hair for Poser characters (Although I suspect they may be coming back soon). The hair I inquired earlier is Genesis 3 which supposedly can be imported via DSON.

I haven't used Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 or whatever its called now. It's all rather confusing. All I want to know about is how to properly perform the title of this thread. It's best to know it's reliable before I blow that 12 bucks as my budget is still a bit limited. I have to admit that Glitterati render certainly gives me hope. By the way, I love Summer Renders! It's time for the beach!

RobZhena

Adventurous

I tried converting tthe hair to triax, exported it, and again got an unusable cr2. Ah, well.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to understand^^ But is there a way to extract the .obj- file from the duf file via texture editor? I don't have DAZ Studio, but I'd love to have this hair for poser - rigging wouldn't be a problem witzh this style, of course, so a simple prop would be good for me.
Grand Siecle Hair for G3 females 3D Figure Assets powerage

I have no idea what the texture editor is, but that's not how we did this one.

We just exported an object file from DS, File>Export and then I re-rigged it in Poser as prop hair, using the original texture files to create Poser material files.