• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Christmas lights in Poser?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I know when I was still using DS, and I think when I started using Poser again, I used to place small point lights inside small light bulbs and candle flames. That said, however, if you want a bunch of small Christmas lights, that would be a bit much, and not that easy to do.

What if you made the light bulb's material emissive? I think raising the Ambient setting high will accomplish that. I'm not sure how you would accomplish it if you wanted to set up an animated version where the lights would be blinking, UNLESS, you had two different materials for each bulb, one emissive, and one not.

I'm sure someone will come up with a better idea.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
How would it be possible to light these?
Is this for Christmas tree lights, or what? I'll agree with Miss B that if there are a lot of lights, it will be better to make the lights emissive.

In P9+ Firefly, I would duplicate the light bulb array mesh, "shell" it inward slightly in a modeler program, and use that new mesh as an (unseen) IDL emitter.

In Superfly, it's much easier; add lightcasting boost nodework to the light bulbs.

If you can show a pic or give a verbal description of what you want to light up, that would help.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Is this for Christmas tree lights, or what? I'll agree with Miss B that if there are a lot of lights, it will be better to make the lights emissive.

In P9+ Firefly, I would duplicate the light bulb array mesh, "shell" it inward slightly in a modeler program, and use that new mesh as an (unseen) IDL emitter.

In Superfly, it's much easier; add lightcasting boost nodework to the light bulbs.

If you can show a pic or give a verbal description of what you want to light up, that would help.
I'll let Janet explain what the lights are for, but basically, they'll be wrapped around something as you would wrap them around a tree, and they're nice lights.

It never occurred to me to duplicate the mesh and inset it, but now that I think about it, that's how I've done liquid in drinking glasses, so a very good suggestion. I just thought raising the Ambient on the materials of each light she wants "lit" would give the light a glow.

As far as your suggestion for SuperFly lighting, what nodes would you suggest for a lightcasting boost?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
...duplicate the mesh and inset it... liquid in drinking glasses, so a very good suggestion. I just thought raising the Ambient on the materials of each light she wants "lit" would give the light a glow.

As far as your suggestion for SuperFly lighting, what nodes would you suggest for a lightcasting boost?
Raising the ambient would cast a little light, but not with the strength you would expect from the apparent brightness of the bulbs. Using a LightPath node with a pair of math nodes (as magnifiers) will enable the "emitter" lights to actively cast light. It is the difference between the amount of light diffusively bounced off a passive object, versus the amount of light broadcast out from a luminous source source.

Once I see what Janet is trying to light up, I'll try firing up workstation Cameron, and hope she's intact. Two of my workstations (TinkerBell and Galadriel) have lost their C drive connection, and I'll need to modify them to use a PCI/PCIe RAID card and rebuild their C drive. Workstation Urania's secondary drive died, and that contained my older (pre-UAC) programs, my Poser runtime, my scene and modeling files, and my tut screenshots. I'm having a bad computer summer.:(

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Here's what it's for. How do you set up and IDL emitter? Where is lightcasting?

lights.jpg

seachnasaigh

Energetic
That's a good candidate for mesh lighting.:) Particularly because of the antlers and wiring in close proximity to the lights; the antlers and wiring should be passively illuminated by nearby lights. Simply making the bulb materials ambient won't do that (well), but mesh lighting will.

What version of Poser do you have?

If P11, do you have a preference for Firefly or Superfly?

Do you model?

Geometrically speaking, the Firefly IDL emitter will be a closely-fitted mesh surrounding each bulb. This emitter mesh will have its properties set to be *not* visible in camera (but the camera *will* see the lightcasting effect). The emitter's material will be hyper-ambient (beyond 1), maybe 15 or so. For Firefly, you will need to render with indirect diffuse lighting enabled, and give that (and the IDL quality) several samples.

In Superfly, no new emitter mesh is needed; just add my boost nodes to the bulb material. Rendering in Superfly, give mesh lighting extra samples. The cluster of lightcasting boost nodes is in a couple of my freebie materials packs. The boost node cluster is a partial MT5; add it -don't replace- to your existing bulb material.

I'll have to boot Cameron up to be able to post any diagrams/pics.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'd like to do both Superfly and Firefly. Yes I model. Thank you!

Miss B

CV-BEE
WOOT!!! Seach is IN THE HOUSE!! I knew he'd come up with something good, as this sort of thing is in his wheelhouse. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
Raising the ambient would cast a little light, but not with the strength you would expect from the apparent brightness of the bulbs. Using a LightPath node with a pair of math nodes (as magnifiers) will enable the "emitter" lights to actively cast light. It is the difference between the amount of light diffusively bounced off a passive object, versus the amount of light broadcast out from a luminous source source.
Ahhhh, good information. Thanks!

Once I see what Janet is trying to light up, I'll try firing up workstation Cameron, and hope she's intact. Two of my workstations (TinkerBell and Galadriel) have lost their C drive connection, and I'll need to modify them to use a PCI/PCIe RAID card and rebuild their C drive. Workstation Urania's secondary drive died, and that contained my older (pre-UAC) programs, my Poser runtime, my scene and modeling files, and my tut screenshots. I'm having a bad computer summer.:(
Oh no, not good news. I think I've always read about TinkerBell in most of your comments in various forums. I always liked how you named each of your workstations. Makes talking about them interesting. ;)

That said, I hope you get them all back up and running at full speed sooner, rather than later.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Ah, you model; that opens possibilities.:) If that string of lights is one of your models, I'd say export an OBJ of it in that "pose" used in the scene, and send it to me. I'd make both the FF IDL emitter and a surrounding "glow aura" mesh. If it's a purchased item, then I'll suffice with making screenshots of an example bulb, emitter, and aura mesh group, plus the properties settings, material setup, etc.

Howdy, Miss B!:sneaky: Chances of recovery are good for TinkerBell if I don't try to boot her up until I have installed a new RAID controller. Similar for Galadriel. I'm not sure either way for Urania's secondary drive. That secondary drive had all of the screenshots and diagrams, my modeling build projects, plus my main Poser runtime, and all of the older programs which need to avoid Windows' User Account Control. I'll have to look through some external hard drives for a D drive Acronis backup.

Last edited:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
How cool is this?!?

lights4.png

Yes it's a project I'm working on for Christmas to sell. Screenshots would be very helpful though.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
It glows!:cool: Oh, for mesh lighting in general, I lower the scene lighting (looks like you've done that), and to get rid of the grain in Superfly, I set the overall samples absurdly high, let it continue to render until it clears, then cancel the rendering and export image. It *will* take considerably longer to render than a conventionally lit scene.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I kinda like the graininess. Light looks that way to m sometimes.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
This is the first time I've seen Poser do anything like that. It's awesome!

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I kinda like the graininess. Light looks that way to m sometimes.
I often apply the anisotropic node to water or jewelry to get that sparkly starlight effect.o_O

In the meantime, here's a small sampling of simple glowy props. Feel free to reverse engineer them. The glowy bioluminescent ball *might* have animated texture, but I don't remember offhand. I *think* they may have dual root materials, so that they work for either Firefly or Superfly.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OMG, I just downloaded that set two minutes ago Seach. I have a number of your goodies, but for some reason didn't have that one. So now I do. ;)