• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

China Blaze for Dawn

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Moved this to the Across the Community forum

HW has a hefty penalty if I sell it elsewhere.

Not a penalty - you just get a higher percentage, understandably, if it's exclusive here -just like other stores. You still get 45% on anything that is non-exclusive, as opposed to 60% on things that are. And you can always change it from non-exclusive to exclusive at a later time if you want :)

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Hivewire's non-exclusive percentage is actually pretty comparable to the exclusive percentage you get at other brokerages. I, too, avoid buying anything over $0 at CP if I can help it. Expiring download links are not cool.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Expiring download links are not cool.
My biggest complaint against CP as well, though I always backup everything I download to an external. Still, I don't know any other store that does that.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Not a penalty - you just get a higher percentage, understandably, if it's exclusive here -just like other stores. You still get 45% on anything that is non-exclusive, as opposed to 60% on things that are. And you can always change it from non-exclusive to exclusive at a later time if you want :)

Don't you find this a bit counter intuitive? I would think you'd be encouraging vendors to get Hivewire figure stuff in as many stores and in front of as many potential customers as you can. These figures really need the exposure, so putting them in one place seems counter intuitive to me.

But, what do I know?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Don't you find this a bit counter intuitive? I would think you'd be encouraging vendors to get Hivewire figure stuff in as many stores and in front of as many potential customers as you can. These figures really need the exposure, so putting them in one place seems counter intuitive to me.

But, what do I know?

That was exactly my first thought when it comes to giving Dawn more exposure, but I understand why stores want to keep products exclusive, or at least discourage vendors from selling elsewhere. It's when the commercial and marketing sides don't agree with each other.

But this will be a good opportunity to test the theory, by comparing CP and HW sales numbers, so I can shed some light on my own questions concerning giving Dawn more exposure. If people won't buy Dawn products at CP, that will put my mind at ease, since I have been selling my Dawn products here exclusively since 2013. Maybe this is not a good time for testing sales (right after Xmas), when people are typically out of money until March, though. I will need more time to come to a conclusion.

If I find that there is no demand for Dawn products at CP, I will simply move it back here. ☺

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here again I am GREATLY enjoying the ability to reply with multiple quotes! \(^o^)/

It will be interesting to see Ken...is that where most Poser users buy stuff these days?

I don't think so, Pen. My best guess is that Renderosity is the largest Poser market, possibly followed by RuntimeDNA, and then Content Paradise. In reality, CP was never a huge market, but it's still Poser's own store. That is not to say they don't sell DS products as well, but people who want that would rather go straight to DAZ3D. :)

There always is that option. ;)

There is this usual sales decline between January and March, so we will have to wait a while to have more conclusive results. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I would never look for DS products there...but then I tend to avoid CP due to their download restrictions.

Yep, that makes sense...I'd wondered with the influx of genesis at those sites if things had changed recently.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Expiring download links are not cool.

That's why I kind of implemented a sort of make-do serial system with the few things I do currently offer for sale over there. If people bother to read the product read-me files, they'll find the info they can use to contact me if they have an HD crash or need to re-download one of my items at a later date. I have not gotten any backlash from CP management on this, but then I only have a very tiny little corner in their big flea market over there, and I'm not a big seller. I suspect that CP wouldn't be happy with me about it if they noticed it, but I just cannot and will not make a customer pay more than once for the same product.

It will be a moot point soon enough... once I have Nataani actually on the shelf here at HW, I will be emptying out what few things I have over there. Some will be moved into my freebies, others will be combined into like a small bundle pack and offered here, and Sani at least (he's an M4 skin), I will need to do some small editing to his package (removing the genitalia mats and files) before I try to move him over here.

The expiration dates on downloads is the biggest reason I do not buy much over there. I honestly don't know how CP turns much of a profit on that... I can't be the only one who will buy the products in other stores due to their expiring downloads. To me, it just makes very bad business sense to be the one store that makes people pay for the same product, when every other store in the market is smart enough to keep the download links viable for consumers for re-download at any point.

There is this usual sales decline between January and March, so we will have to wait a while to have more conclusive results. ^^

Yeah, testing the sales numbers from January to March might not be a good idea... post-Christmas rush people are always tight on money. Even in 3D, there are often lots and lots of big Christmas-themed sales, and 3D wallets empty out pretty quickly. Maybe see how the sales go from April through June and see what the numbers look like then? Just a thought. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The expiration dates on downloads is the biggest reason I do not buy much over there.

I wonder if this is a Poser/DS market thing? Basically anything I buy online (non-3D related) offer a link that in most cases expires in a matter of hours or the next day. I am not defending one or the other, but in my experience, online stores don't use to keep download links for very long. That's why I suspect Poser/DS products may be an exception?

Yeah, testing the sales numbers from January to March might not be a good idea... post-Christmas rush people are always tight on money. Even in 3D, there are often lots and lots of big Christmas-themed sales, and 3D wallets empty out pretty quickly. Maybe see how the sales go from April through June and see what the numbers look like then? Just a thought. :)

Yup, that's the plan. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I bought Poser at Rendo due to the download restrictions. If I can buy something elsewhere I will...and I don't buy much over there at all these days.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE

But, what do I know?

That was exactly my first thought when it comes to giving Dawn more exposure, but I understand why stores want to keep products exclusive, or at least discourage vendors from selling elsewhere. It's when the commercial and marketing sides don't agree with each other.

Just to be clear, I did not say that "HiveWire ONLY wants Items to be sold exclusively here".

The comment made was "HW has a hefty penalty if I sell it elsewhere", which implies that it is not worth selling something at HiveWire as well, if you are also selling it at another store.

The points that I was making were:
1) There is not any "penalty" for vendors choosing to sell something elsewhere AS WELL AS at HiveWire's store. You simply are rewarded for selling the product here exclusively by getting a slightly higher percentage of the sales...just like at other 3D marketplaces.

We have CAs who choose to sell products here and also sell that product elsewhere. That's an option when you submit a product.

2)If a product is sold here non-exclusively and the CA wants to later change it to being exclusive, they can, and then they'd get the higher percentage from that point on.

There are 3 options for people selling products for HW figures:
1-Sell them here exclusively
2-Sell them here and at another store as well
3-Sell them only at another store

What store wouldn't prefer 1 or 2? ;).

That said, this is the only 3D store's forum I'm aware of that not only ALLOWS people to link directly to products at other stores, but has a specific forum for people who are choosing option 3, to promote their products for HiveWire figures.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wonder if this is a Poser/DS market thing? Basically anything I buy online (non-3D related) offer a link that in most cases expires in a matter of hours or the next day. I am not defending one or the other, but in my experience, online stores don't use to keep download links for very long. That's why I suspect Poser/DS products may be an exception?

Perhaps it is specific to just the Poser/DazStudio markets. But even if it is, this is how it's been done for at least the last 14 years that I've been in the hobby, and having one store suddenly decide (they've been doing this for a few years, yes I know) to expire the download links can't possibly be doing them any favors. It would be different if this change was happening in every market geared towards our hobby, but that is not the case... and at least for me, it costs them sales.

I will only buy an item from CP if I cannot find it anywhere else, AND cannot find something else suitable to fill that purpose anywhere else. Nor will I pay for an extended download period, when that still entails an expiration date. If the extended download thing granted a non-expiring download, I would at least be a little more tempted to purchase from their market, though I would still use them as a last resort due to having to pay for that non-expiring download date in the first place. In the rare instances that I do make a purchase from them, I immediately back up the zip file to multiple places, because I won't pay a second time for the same product.

Regarding the package that started this thread, though... :D

I really do like it very much. I think it's really nice - and I love the colors on it. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Seliah (Childe of Fyre): Maybe CP does that because it's under SMS now (since Poser 7), and SMS sells a LOT of other stuff besides Poser. Actually, we can barely find Poser at the SMS web site - you have to spend some time searching until you find it. There is no mention of Poser at the front page, and it's placed at the last category in their product's list. Like most other non-3D markets, all links expire quite soon after purchase. I bet that's what this is. :)

I am glad you've liked the outfit! It ships with dozens of textures. ^__^

@Alisa: That's a bit of sugar-coating, but that's alright. :)

@sanbie: Thank you! The character is a mix of about 50-50 of Willow and Nissa. I actually had to hack Willow to separate the head morph from the body. ;p