• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Cheongsam Dress for Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Some of you might have seen this dress in my renders. It's something I have been working on for quite some time, and now it's almost done. It fits Dawn, Sora and CatsEyes, and supports most of the Dawn full and partial body morphs. It comes with 6 body handles to help with posing, even the more extreme ones.

This dress has a couple of special features:

==> It can work as super-conforming, and also as semi-conforming, where only the hip can be turned into dynamic cloth, while the rest stays conformed. This has several advantages:

* The same dress can be used for both kinds of fitting.
* Dynamic simulations run only at the hip group, so they are much easier to setup and faster to process.
* Only the hip group can be turned into dynamic cloth, so you don't have to setup dynamic groups.
* The rest of the dress is still conformed, so you can use all the body morphs you like.
* You can use it as conforming for simple poses, or semi-conformed for more challenging ones.

More details below.

Promo_00_600x800.jpg

These 6 body handles can control several parts of the bottom skirt individually.

* Only the front
* Only the left front
* Only the right front
* Only the back
* Only the left back
* Only the right back

Promo_03_600x800.jpg

I have included a special JCM that allows Dawn to sit down with the dress in a more natural way. When you make your poses, use Dawn's "Legs Bend" dial from the Legs -> Control dial group, and this will activate the special sitting JCM. The body handles can provide additional fine control. Alternatively, you can also turn the hip group of the dress into dynamic cloth to produce a realistic drape.

Promo_04_600x800.jpg

Not everybody knows how semi-conforming works. so I am including a tutorial for that in the readme file that ships with the dress. Just follow the simple steps to clothify just the dresses' hip group for challenging poses like the one below. This will create the most realistic draping in any pose, and thanks to semi-conforming, it will be easier to setup and quick to simulate. You can see how to do it in my video tutorial here:

Promo_05_600x800.jpg

The second special feature I provide with this dress is the ability to set your own custom colors to cloth and pattern parts individually. You will not be stuck with the more than 30 presets. Create your own color combinations by clicking the color swatches as shown below. No matter what colors you pick, the texture details are always preserved. Can't be simpler than that!

I provide a step-by-step tutorial on how to take advantage of this in the included readme file. Below you can watch a video tutorial showing how to create your own color sets for the dress. :)

Promo_07_600x800.jpg

Last edited:

AllenArt

Eager
Very cute dress :)

Looks good, but since it's hybrid dynamic I suppose it's for Poser only?

Even if it is, you should be able to get it into DS well enough with the transfer utility and it should perform well since it's on the tight side :). The TU works better on tight things than looser stuff.

Laurie

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you, mininessie and Laurie!

Looks good, but since it's hybrid dynamic I suppose it's for Poser only?

This dress is traditional super-conforming by default, so you don't have to use dynamic cloth if you don't want to. That's completely optional. I just wanted to show how to do that in case people wanted to do it, and also show the optimized way to get it done very quickly. But make no mistake, this is not a dynamic dress. ^^

Leana

Enthusiast
This dress is traditional super-conforming by default, so you don't have to use dynamic cloth if you don't want to. That's completely optional. I just wanted to show how to do that in case people wanted to do it, and also show the optimized way to get it done very quickly. But make no mistake, this is not a dynamic dress. ^^
Yes, I noted that you could use it as conforming too. That doesn't mean it will be compatible with DS though.

And yes, I know I can use the transfer utility to try to convert Poser items to DS. But the results are often less than stellar, even for tight dresses, and custom bones like the provided posing handles generally don't work properly after conversion (even following the tutorial to keep custom bones). Not to mention the fact that materials probably won't be compatible, but after all those years I'm used to that ;)

So if a Dawn product has no DS version, that's usually a miss for me. Which is why I don't use Dawn as much as I'd like, as the poor girl basically has nothing to wear in DS....

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Indeed, the materials are entirely made of overlays, which is what makes them so versatile. I made similar overlay materials in DS using Shader Mixer, so I know it can be done - though DS previews won't show the results until you render.

Which is why I don't use Dawn as much as I'd like, as the poor girl basically has nothing to wear in DS....

All products I have released until last year had a DS version, and I made quite a variety of outfit styles. ^^

Leana

Enthusiast
Indeed, the materials are entirely made of overlays, which is what makes them so versatile. I made similar overlay materials in DS using Shader Mixer, so I know it can be done - though DS previews won't show the results until you render.
Yes, you could do that with shader mixer, or maybe LIE if overlays are simple enough.
All products I have released until last year had a DS version, and I made quite a variety of outfit styles. ^^
I have your Brunhilda Outfit, which I love. The rest is sadly not the type of clothes I would use.
and you can use clones for her in Daz...i used them and this way i have a lot of clothes for her
here are free clones : Dawn special edition clones - 3D Model - ShareCG
I made my own clones when Dawn was released, though not perfect they are rather useful. But you have the exact same problem as when converting Poser clothes: there's only so much you can do with autofit / automatic rigging.

Btw, distributing clones for DAZ figures without their permission doesn't seem such a great idea to me...

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Btw, distributing clones for DAZ figures without their permission doesn't seem such a great idea to me...
Well...really it consist in make a pose for Dawn based in V4 or other figure default pose and save the clone basically as a pose (clone format i know)...no mesh or texture or anything from the other figure is included...so i think this can´t be an infraction of the rules ...but well...it is my opinion.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have your Brunhilda Outfit, which I love. The rest is sadly not the type of clothes I would use.

That's why I vary the clothing styles in my store - there will be something for everybody. ^^

custom bones like the provided posing handles generally don't work properly after conversion (even following the tutorial to keep custom bones).

In reality I have only added the body handles to help with more extreme poses. The weight maps will hold it together for most "non-extreme" poses. By "extreme" I mean poses a woman could never do in real life while wearing a dress. ^^

One additional thing is that the dress was build and grouped using 100% unimesh geometry, which makes is quite compatible with DS. In other words, I didn't use any OBJ creased by Poser, which is important if you want to import it into DS. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sooooo, when can we expect to see this in the store?

Right now, if it depended on me. :D I have just added the body handles a few days ago, so it's still under beta-testing. In the meanwhile, I have been writing the documentation, making the video tutorials (2 included!) and making the promo images. It may not look so, but the semi-conforming design and the overlay materials make this dress quite unusual. I like to push the limits of versatility, and this dress is doing that in 2 fronts. ^^

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Don't laugh Ken, but I've wondered how to do that with the top/dress of an outfit Sanbie donated as a freebie for Diva. I just can't get it to sim properly in Poser, but with my lack of rigging skills, I'm not sure I could do what you've done, but I think it would be just the answer I'd need to get it to work as a hybrid dynamic outfit.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
the answer I'd need to get it to work as a hybrid dynamic outfit.

It has to be designed with a single solid group for the part you want to make dynamic, and most dresses don't do that. This is why I've mentioned this dress was designed especially to allow this functionality. I think it is only possible with weight mapped dresses and skirts. I think legacy Poser/DS grouping requires split groups for the legs and hip, and this will not work for semi-conforming. My other dress for Dawn, the "laced sundress" was also especially designed for semi-conforming, and it works well with a that because the grouping was meant for it.

Check if your dress has that kind of grouping at the bottom. If not, you would have to redo the grouping and rig it again. The rigging can be made easier if you transfer the weight from the old to the new version, but differences in vertex count and order will introduce some spikes that need to be smoothed out. An easier way would be to convert the dress figure into a prop and run the whole thing as dynamic. That would be quicker, but you have to make sure all groups are welded. You can do that in Poser with the Grouping Tool. :)