• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Can you guess what it is yet ? :)

To confuse poor McGyver's pancreas even further, and because it's 3:48am, mostly that I'm too lazy to type anything else.
Here's how I explained things at rendo....

I try to spend as much time as possible avoiding the currently reality (especially shop greeters wearing yellow jackets trained at the Pol Pot Charm School) by hiding in my garage. Hence I didn't know much of what transpired at the press conference, only that people had said it was...well... different.

Thus a trip to various news website, for roundness includes... one with long words like the Guardian.
The BBC because they do pictures you can colour in.
And lastly, because my brain deserves self flagellation, the Daily Mail.

For those less blessed ..or possibly cursed...than us Brits, the Mail isn't as high brow as Garfield or Snoopy.
Instead it's aimed mostly at those who believe the ideal world would be one that resembles a Hornby train set (with steam of course).
We are still at war with the Germans and we beat them at soccer.

Dr Who isn't female and the biggest jolly bad show of all...
One of the royals didn't marry an American, even though 90% of Daily Mail readers have the Megan swimsuit special on the back of the toilet
door. For when they need a quick blast of Ivor Bigunn's biggest selling album.

So when that paper wrote, in all seriousness....

"Four Seasons Total Landscaping in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is situated next to Delaware Valley
Cremation Center and Fantasy Island Adult Books, where owners host 'D**do Madness' sales throughout the year."

....you just know it's gonna be a good one :)
Moreso when I saw the pictures and even the building looks so different.

So I just had to make this one, as a 3 piecer because that won't take months to do.
But I didn't realise until using streetview, the visuals and geography isn't so clear cut as the papers say.
What you see is the back of the building, the cremation place is opposite the front, and the bookshop isn't quite next door.

Oh and I hope everyone enjoys the WIP of building 3...
demobild03.jpg

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
The description just makes it sound more like the perfect hiding spot for Dr. X to concoct his nefarious plans. What hero is possibly going to expose his impressionable, spandex wearing sidekick to such a sinister neighborhood?

DanaTA

Distinguished
To confuse poor McGyver's pancreas even further, and because it's 3:48am, mostly that I'm too lazy to type anything else.
Here's how I explained things at rendo....

I try to spend as much time as possible avoiding the currently reality (especially shop greeters wearing yellow jackets trained at the Pol Pot Charm School) by hiding in my garage. Hence I didn't know much of what transpired at the press conference, only that people had said it was...well... different.

Thus a trip to various news website, for roundness includes... one with long words like the Guardian.
The BBC because they do pictures you can colour in.
And lastly, because my brain deserves self flagellation, the Daily Mail.

For those less blessed ..or possibly cursed...than us Brits, the Mail isn't as high brow as Garfield or Snoopy.
Instead it's aimed mostly at those who believe the ideal world would be one that resembles a Hornby train set (with steam of course).
We are still at war with the Germans and we beat them at soccer.

Dr Who isn't female and the biggest jolly bad show of all...
One of the royals didn't marry an American, even though 90% of Daily Mail readers have the Megan swimsuit special on the back of the toilet
door. For when they need a quick blast of Ivor Bigunn's biggest selling album.

So when that paper wrote, in all seriousness....

"Four Seasons Total Landscaping in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is situated next to Delaware Valley
Cremation Center and Fantasy Island Adult Books, where owners host 'D**do Madness' sales throughout the year."

....you just know it's gonna be a good one :)
Moreso when I saw the pictures and even the building looks so different.

So I just had to make this one, as a 3 piecer because that won't take months to do.
But I didn't realise until using streetview, the visuals and geography isn't so clear cut as the papers say.
What you see is the back of the building, the cremation place is opposite the front, and the bookshop isn't quite next door.

Oh and I hope everyone enjoys the WIP of building 3...
View attachment 65617
So it was two different buildings? Hmph! :cautious:

Dana

Tonight's update...starting on the ground. This is being done using Carrara 5's backdrop 'mode' and it's Shading Domain Management 'mode'.

The former is something that's only taken me several years to work out how to do :)
But now I've sussed it out, found if you take a satellite image from Google maps and use that as the background it's possible to work accurat(ish) placements for things. It's also how the fronts of the buildings where done.

howto.jpg

The latter is also a nice concept.
It allows you to select small areas of a larger mesh and assign what I know as a material zone to that.
That's good here, because one of my bugbears with poser models is how to texture large areas (such as ground).

Yes, app specific shaders will always do a better job than an image.
Yes one large areas can use a single map.
However sometimes maps may be the only way to get a look, say for instance where a road merges into a dirt track.

And that's a problem because even a 2048x2048 map may get the jaggies.
But now using this approach I can break large areas into smaller separately mapped sections.
OK it won't totally solve this issue, but in theory it should reduce it.

After that it'll be the final bit of modelling, the power poles.

Wip4_a.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking great @mrsparky. Will this be available for Poser and DS as well, or only for Carrara? Curious minds want to know. ;)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
oooo ... another guess...
I'm guessing for Poser

which will also work in Carrara :geek:

and also load in DS .... wow ... what a guy :applause: or gal... as I still think it's Mrs Parky! :blossom:

Well my secret identity was nearly exposed on ITV news tonight ;)
Actually that bit's true, but they decided to go with a much more deserving carers story....

One sixth of unpaid carers spending 40 more hours a week caring due to pandemic | ITV News

On the positive side your TV will have survived the shock of my hairy visage :)
Plus to sooth your soul from that thought, here's tonight's mega exciting WIP.... a powerpole. in the modeller rather than a render and this one isn't finished yet.

Most likely these parts will be more representational than attempting accuracy.
That's because, for real world stuff, I like to model by looking, then moving that visual memory around what passes for a brainbox.
But while we have these types of poles in the UK, they tend to be more rural than urban.

powpoledem.jpg

DanaTA

Distinguished
The pole itself seems to be a little too thin. Though, it's hard to tell with no reference point of other objects to compare it with. Then again, maybe they're thinner in the UK. I wouldn't know.

Dana

Yes it probably is too thin, and maybe too long/too short , and yes getting references is the key there.

In the real world I'd use the old artists trick of closing one eye and holding up a pencil/finger/paintbrush.
In the modeller my virtual finger is a bit that's the length of one part pasted against another to get the distance/length right.
Which is great for length/distance not so great for width/depth.

But that's all part of the challenge of modelling :) not just 3d but real world as well. Such as my other current project, a model railway inside a coffee table. Something I've been working on in the daytimes, when the care role allows.

Sadly the 1st version was vandalised (it was taken from inside my garage and thrown into a puddle) after I stupidly left the door open one afternoon. But these events only make me want to improve things, thus my current challenge is rock making using some toy plastic rocks to "cast" from. I could use plaster or resin, but instead I want to use mostly paper. Lighter and much much cheaper.