• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Building my portfolio

Dan30

Adventurous
Helo again dearest bees,

Until I will find time and inspiration to create some images with the Hive pets, I thought I share with you some of my recent creations, meant to go into my future portfolio... They are not 100% complete, and every time I look at them I feel I still want to add or to change something. You know how it is...:laugh:

This one I called "Cutting close around the rock"

upload_2016-10-2_1-14-3.jpeg

And a similar one from another angle

upload_2016-10-2_1-18-28.jpeg

These next two desperately need some life into them...
"Roadblock on Harpwood trail"

upload_2016-10-2_1-22-44.jpeg

"Rocky pass at sundown"

upload_2016-10-2_1-26-9.jpeg

And my latest addition...

"Parenting in the Big Blue"

upload_2016-10-2_1-29-2.jpeg

Hope you like it!:p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hi Dan, these are really nice renders. Why don't you upload them to an Album in the Media section of the forum. That way, when you start rendering some of the HW characters, you can just post a link to the image in your gallery, rather than having to upload them in more than one render thread, if you happen to have more than one of the HW characters in the same render.

Dan30

Adventurous
Miss B, thank you for the tip. I think I will do that with my finished work. See, this new bee, me, doesn't yet know the rules of the Hive...But will learn!:)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
GASP! Vue?? Thought they were photos!! WOW!! You make me want to buy Vue...but the time to be THAT talented... groan... sigh.. Also Ken's moths and birds would make nice additions to bring life... ?

Dan30

Adventurous
Lyne,
Thank you for the kind words. No, they were not made in Vue...but DazStudio. They are all iray straight renders. And only slightly adjusted for contrast in post. I just acquired some insects for the job.:laugh:

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
OMG...That water is superb!!...I thought they were photos too Lyne...and done in Daz Studio...Man they are just sooooo good!!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It must be the Iray renderer, because I never saw such good water for years, except in Bryce and Vue. Of course DS and Poser have come a long way, so they may do water much better now.

Dan30

Adventurous
This new bee is blushing now!:x3: Thank you all! Miss B, yes they can do water much better thanks to the new render engines but boy, that was a long shader tweak. Shudder...

Banditcameraman

Enthusiast
GASP! Vue?? Thought they were photos!! WOW!! You make me want to buy Vue...but the time to be THAT talented... groan... sigh.. Also Ken's moths and birds would make nice additions to bring life... ?

:yeahthat:

Because I thought they were photos /me faints :barefoot: In other communities they would demand to see a wireframe to prove it's not ;)

You definitely have an understanding not only of framing and composition, but also of the complexity of light and material settings. Before I retired from production I was trained and worked lighting cameraman and that knowledge still serves me in good stead when it comes to PBRs :)

Szark

Awesome
Banditcameraman is correct with what was said but, yes there is always a but, have you noticed how perfect all the leaves are in the forest trail scene. Well there all look prefect to me given the small size of the image. It irks me a little that very few vendors add insect damage etc. In DS I use the Geo Editor Tool to separate some leaves close to the camera and add the details in Photoshop.

Dan30

Adventurous
Szark,
Harpwood Trail (The Harpwood Trail for Daz Studio | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D) is a fine product made by a reputable artist, Howie Farkes, well known in the Carrara and DazStudio community...
In that particular image I just added the fallen tree and the ivy covered one from the right. Nothing else was altered... Yes, that is a carefully crafted product, like everything else he did so far.
And those leaves in the foreground, close to the camera were intentionally left there. I thought they add additional depth to the scene.

Szark

Awesome
Oh I know Harpwood and Howie...I have been around for a while now and that was the first thing I noticed in his promos. I am not bashing anyone just pointing out a few realism details that a lot of folks miss. Just sharing and helping.

Look at this Iray render I did and see the leaves. Stonemason uses real leaf photos so we get the detail I referred to.

now if you not bothered about realism than please ignore me, I am just detail orientated.