• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blinn, Phong, etc...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So.... I wanted to move this discussion out of the render thread before it completely takes over the Dusk render thread...

Blinn and Phong aren't exclusive to Poser. I've a set of advanced wood shaders for Studio which use them as well. Neither did anything I wanted so I just kept to the other options.

They're one of V3D's packages and came out some time ago. (One of their advantages is that they have the a rotated version when the texture needs to go at 90 degrees to the way it comes normally.) There are other options in them that I didn't recognize as well.

Well, I'll admit that I didn't realize these were in DS, but I can't say I'm too surprised either. I have not really done much with Shader Mixer/Baker at all yet. I mostly stick to the standard shaders, AOA_SSS, Ubersurface, etc. I think I know which shader pack you're talking about... and that's another case of I use the thumbnails to show me what each thing does because the names on the icons mean nothing to me. LOL

They have bricks in Shader Mixer which have access to Blinn and Phong. It's a fairly standard shader model and you see it in many programs that allow you to create shader networks.
Blinn–Phong shading model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah. Pen, I've seen that page before... I've read that page repeatedly. To be honest? Not even halfway through the first paragraph and I am already lost. It does not make sense to me - they might as well be speaking to me in Gaelic or Latin. I do not understand anything on that page. I've looked these properties up before, repeatedly, trying to understand them.

I just don't understand what they are, how to use them, how to know WHEN to use them, or what they're supposed to actually DO - and everything I've read on them is made up of so much technical jargon that my eyes glaze over and I get nothing from it... I need the explanations in English. I don't understand the math, and with everything I've read trying to understand some of these properties, it's so technical that I don't learn anything from it other than how to become more frustrated...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've looked at stuff like that a lot when I was trying to work out how to use ShaderMixer and it still makes my brain melt of my ears into a little puddle on the floor so I really get what you're saying.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Good idea...I don't know which thread I'm in half the time as I just click on the alerts.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Found this which is written in a more readable style...
Blinn-Phong reflection model

OMG wow, it's actually written in English!! LOL

Thank you, Pen! :D At least SOME of it makes sense now...

Good idea...I don't know which thread I'm in half the time as I just click on the alerts.

Yeah, I just didn't want to litter another two pages of the render thread with technical discussions, but I thought it was a good discussion just the same...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
There are some more...but that one is the most straightforward that I could find.

Phong + Blinn-Phong

This one is a bit more technical
https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse457/11au/lectures/shading.pdf

This one is more an expanded definition...
Define Blinn | Dictionary and Thesaurus

Yep...definitely an interesting discussion.

I can tell you that where the second one is talking about N and P that in ShaderMixer you need to have both connected for displacement and I think iirc that it may be N only for bump.