• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always liked Dr. Bashir. Then again, I don't think there was a single character on that show I didn't like.

Back in January of 2004, I went to a sci-fi convention and met Jason Carter, who played Ranger Marcus Cole, and Richard Biggs, who played Dr. Stephen Franklin on Babylon 5. I was shocked to learn 4 months later, that Richard Biggs had passed away at age 44.

Zaarin

Brilliant
I always liked Dr. Bashir. Then again, I don't think there was a single character on that show I didn't like.
I also loved the entire cast of DS9--something I can't say of any other Trek franchise. I felt a strong association with Dr. Bashir after they revealed his genetic modification; it felt like a suitable analogy to my Aspergers. And I respected him as a man of principle. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite character from the show (unless it were Garak), but Bashir and Odo were the ones I associated most strongly with. (Kira had the best episodes, though.)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Bashir and Sisko were my two favorites! It's pretty easy for me to identify with a healer-classed character in almost any setting, but Sisko always struck a very strong chord with me as well for numerous reasons. DS9 was SUCH a good show all around! It really had a lot of excellent, powerfully written characters and episodes in it.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
No wonder I love the Hive! :bee:Normally when I tell people that DS9 was my favorite Star Trek they look at my funny, and say things about how they just never bothered to watch it. Glad to know that there are some other DS9 fans out there.

I also loved the entire cast of DS9--something I can't say of any other Trek franchise. I felt a strong association with Dr. Bashir after they revealed his genetic modification; it felt like a suitable analogy to my Aspergers. And I respected him as a man of principle. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite character from the show (unless it were Garak), but Bashir and Odo were the ones I associated most strongly with. (Kira had the best episodes, though.)

So what you said made me realize why I liked that show so much. Almost all of the characters were struggling with identity in different ways. Not that that hasn't always been a Star Trek theme, but where as you often had the alien, who's place was unsure in the other Star Trek franchises, the humans, especially the Captains were always so sure they were where they were supposed to be (a.k.a. Star Fleet).

But Sisko had to struggle with how his choices to join Star Fleet effected his family, as well as the fact that another culture decided to make him apart of their religion whether he wanted it or not. Kira had to figure out her place now that she wasn't a rebel anymore, but part of a legitimate government, Garak had to struggle with the life he remembered wanting that didn't want him, and the new life he had found that did have a place. Dax. . . well Dax whose personality was in some sense the most fluid, was possibly the most sure of herself, which was interesting, since she was forced to prove to people how she was both the same and different across her life times. And so on.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Bashir and Sisko were my two favorites! It's pretty easy for me to identify with a healer-classed character in almost any setting, but Sisko always struck a very strong chord with me as well for numerous reasons. DS9 was SUCH a good show all around! It really had a lot of excellent, powerfully written characters and episodes in it.
Yes, even some of my friends who love DS9 best think I'm crazy when I say Sisko is my favorite captain. I love Picard--he and Data are really the only things I love about TNG--but Sisko is an incredible character, and Avery Brooks is an incredible and underappreciated actor.
No wonder I love the Hive! :bee:Normally when I tell people that DS9 was my favorite Star Trek they look at my funny, and say things about how they just never bothered to watch it. Glad to know that there are some other DS9 fans out there.

So what you said made me realize why I liked that show so much. Almost all of the characters were struggling with identity in different ways. Not that that hasn't always been a Star Trek theme, but where as you often had the alien, who's place was unsure in the other Star Trek franchises, the humans, especially the Captains were always so sure they were where they were supposed to be (a.k.a. Star Fleet).

But Sisko had to struggle with how his choices to join Star Fleet effected his family, as well as the fact that another culture decided to make him apart of their religion whether he wanted it or not. Kira had to figure out her place now that she wasn't a rebel anymore, but part of a legitimate government, Garak had to struggle with the life he remembered wanting that didn't want him, and the new life he had found that did have a place. Dax. . . well Dax whose personality was in some sense the most fluid, was possibly the most sure of herself, which was interesting, since she was forced to prove to people how she was both the same and different across her life times. And so on.
You're absolutely right. Star Trek always had that one character trying to figure out what it means to be human--Spock in TOS, Data in TNG. But the TNG cast in particular just felt so perfect (even when they weren't--Riker was an incredible jerk half the time [I highly recommend the SFDebris review of the episode "Ensign Ro"--it is hilarious how he deconstructs just how much of a jerk Riker is in that episode]), that it was nice to see a cast with some built-in conflict. I think Kira was a particularly great addition to the cast for that reason. I mean, she's such a complex character: she was a terrorist, but she's also extremely devout (which was refreshing after how TOS and TNG treated all religion like contemptible superstition)--and no matter what she's always so sure she's right. You don't always agree with her, but you respect her for it. While season 1 is overall weaker than the rest of the show, Kira's two big episodes from season 1--"Progress" and "Duet"--still rank among my favorites. Odo, too, because really Odo doesn't care about your rules or your regulations or your process, he just wants justice and order.

The Cardassians and the Dominion both brought a lot to DS9, too. Even in TNG I think it was apparent that the Cardassians were the most interesting and complex rivals the show had ever presented--far more nuanced than the brutish Klingons or crafty Romulans. Honestly, the Cardassians, the Bajorans, and the Ferengi are more human than the TNG Federation. And Dukat, Damar, and Garak were all such fantastic characters in their own ways. And then the Dominion felt powerful without feeling quite so godlike as the Borg--which meant that defeating them felt considerably less deus ex machina (except, you know, that one time it was a deus ex machina ;) ). And then there was the conflict because Odo was a Founder. And Weyoun was so delightfully slimy--Jeffery Combs was fantastic (as Brunt, too, of course).

My friend and I joke that the extras on DS9 got more character development than some of the main characters on other Trek shows. And even though it's a joke...it's still true. Ensign Kim could get sucked out the airlock and no one would even notice he was gone; Morn goes missing and he gets an entire episode about it. But, of course, Morn never shuts up... ;) (Fun fact: Morn was in more episodes than Jake Sisko. In season 7, both Rom and Nog were in more episodes than Jake.)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Love the new avatar even though it's hard for me to have peoples' "faces" change - though I know it's you ;).

I loved all the Trek series (not as crazy about Enterprise) - got a bit tired of the war in DS9 but still loved the series. The Ferengi episodes always had us laughing so...

Zaarin

Brilliant
Love the new avatar even though it's hard for me to have peoples' "faces" change - though I know it's you ;).

I loved all the Trek series (not as crazy about Enterprise) - got a bit tired of the war in DS9 but still loved the series. The Ferengi episodes always had us laughing so...
I have avatar restlessness. :p

I think what I liked best about DS9 was not the war but that it showed people being people. My favorite Ferengi episode is "House of Quark." :D "I am Quark, son of Peldar, here to answer the challenge of Deghor, son of...whatever." :roflmao: Also: "I like you, Quark. That's why I'm going to allow you to take your hand off my thigh instead of shattering every bone in your body."

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, even some of my friends who love DS9 best think I'm crazy when I say Sisko is my favorite captain. I love Picard--he and Data are really the only things I love about TNG--but Sisko is an incredible character, and Avery Brooks is an incredible and underappreciated actor.
Oh, I was already a fan of Avery Brooks from his stint as Hawk on Spencer For Hire.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Oh, I was already a fan of Avery Brooks from his stint as Hawk on Spencer For Hire.
I've only seen him on DS9, but it's enough reason for me to love him. I understand he's mostly doing theater now. I heard he played Willie Loman in Death of a Salesman a few years ago; I scoured the internet to find a recording but to no avail. :( He's also played Othello in Shakespeare's Othello among other roles. And I understand he teaches classes at Rutgers.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh you would've loved him as Hawk. He was more or less a not so law abiding individual, who Spenser (I spelled it wrong in my initial post) would call when he needed some underhanded stuff done. He was very cool. ;)

There was also a spin-off show called A Man Called Hawk, which aired after Spenser For Hire ended. I don't recall if I watched it, but I probably did.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I loved Spenser for Hire, but then I love and own all of the Spenser books including the new ones written by Ace Atkins. I had a quiet weep when Robert B Parker died.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never read the Spenser books, but I think I read a couple of the Jesse Stone books, which led to the TV show starring Tom Selleck.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I think you would love them, Miss B. They often come up on Amazon Kindle sales. You can read them out of order but I find it's more interesting to read them in order, to get the story of the protagonists as well as the actual caper. Spenser is a very erudite, very well read PI and the books have led me to some interesting places. Hawk is Hawk ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I didn't hate Enterprise, I just didn't think it was as good as any of the other ST series. I'm not a huge fan of Scott Bakula, but the rest of the cast was fine.

What I didn't like was the writing (or maybe it was the directing) of the episodes. When they announced they were going to make it better and the characters stronger, I found they just made it angrier. That's what I thought of the whole series . . . just a bunch of angry stories.

It was supposed to be the precursor to the original ST series, but it didn't seem like it. Maybe the "bridge" wasn't as modern or futuristic looking as the other series bridge scenes, but it didn't seem like an "earlier" interpretation of the storyline to me.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I thought Enterprise was okay... I didn't think it was "great," but it was okay.

Mostly I think they were trying to show a NOT Utopian time period, thus all of the "angry" writing on the episodes, IMO...