• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Anyone have a good recipe...

eclark1894

Visionary
... liven up some green beans? ...Or collard greens? Or any vegetable side dish for dinner. I've never been very inventive when it comes to vegetables. Usually, I just throw them in a pot of water and boil the heck out of them.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
With green beans add some bacon bits , a touch of pepper and some onion flakes or onion rings.
Same for the greens. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Ham is good too.
My niece and daughter make green bean casserole but the use those crunchy onion bits and some kind of gravy.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
your problem might be boiling the heck out of them :p

I like them with bacon (ham work too) but another option is boil until just tender drain and return to pan and add butter and garlic and toss over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until coated.
You can add extras to this, for example Pine Nuts, bacon, ham etc.

(sorry, I don't know what collard greens are let alone how to dress them up :D don't think we have that here in Aus)

Was curious what other people do so googled and found this interesting one: Green Beans With Pecans and Maple Vinaigrette
More elaborate one: Marinated Green Beans with Olives, Tomatoes, and Feta Recipe

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I happen to like 3 bean salad, which consists most often, though I've seen alternative beens in some recipes, of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), kidney beans and green beans.

Here's a recipe that looks similar to how I've had it, though I have to say I've not made it myself.

Three Bean Salad

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
hmmm looks good Miss B, I might have to try that (but I'd have to leave out the cayenne pepper as I'm allergic to anything related to Chili/Bell Peppers)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I probably would leave that out too. A friend of my sister-in-late used to make it all the time when I was out in Tucson visiting. I've also had it with 5 beans, but I don't recall what the other 2 beans were. I just know I liked the bean salad as a nice side dish.

Quick pickle them. We have a ton of green beans from our garden so if I am lazy I save commercial dill pickle juice and then heat it up and pour it over blanched green beans in a clean jar(s). If you don't have pickle juice it is easy to find a recipe that makes pickling liquid which is basically just water, salt, vinegar and spices. Add a few hot peppers or red pepper flakes and so yummy. P.S. This is even better with blanched asparagus when it is in season.

Also for a side dish. Tempura Green Beans: Fry as any tempura veg. Also Blistered Green Beans : Ree Drummond : Food Network I don't like Ree that much but blistered green beans are the bomb and this is the easiest recipe I found. I put toasted sesame seeds on it too for a little more interest.

I also used some red cabbage to make kimchi. It is actually very good although I was scared of it in the beginning. You can use most vegetables to make Kimchi not just cabbages and it is a great accent for a lot of foods. If it is a crispy veg it will work. Red Cabbage Kimchi | Garden Betty

Now if some kind person could just tell me what to do with 20+ patty pan squash, 10+ cantaloupes, and a gillion tomatoes. And coming behind are winter squash and pumpkins. I know how to store those with the onions and potatoes but I am going to have a pile of veg in my basement closet...

eclark1894

Visionary
I looked in the freezer and discovered I didn't even have beans. I had collard greens instead. I still took Fairy Light's suggestion.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Dragonsegg, I love cantaloupes juiced (and that takes up a lot) :)

Ah well, eclark, like I said I couldn't help you with the colard greens (I looked them up and the closest we have is Kale and I don't like that :)) but at least you have some ideas for beans in the future :D

eclark1894

Visionary
Quick pickle them. We have a ton of green beans from our garden so if I am lazy I save commercial dill pickle juice and then heat it up and pour it over blanched green beans in a clean jar(s). If you don't have pickle juice it is easy to find a recipe that makes pickling liquid which is basically just water, salt, vinegar and spices. Add a few hot peppers or red pepper flakes and so yummy. P.S. This is even better with blanched asparagus when it is in season.

Also for a side dish. Tempura Green Beans: Fry as any tempura veg. Also Blistered Green Beans : Ree Drummond : Food Network I don't like Ree that much but blistered green beans are the bomb and this is the easiest recipe I found. I put toasted sesame seeds on it too for a little more interest.

I also used some red cabbage to make kimchi. It is actually very good although I was scared of it in the beginning. You can use most vegetables to make Kimchi not just cabbages and it is a great accent for a lot of foods. If it is a crispy veg it will work. Red Cabbage Kimchi | Garden Betty

Now if some kind person could just tell me what to do with 20+ patty pan squash, 10+ cantaloupes, and a gillion tomatoes. And coming behind are winter squash and pumpkins. I know how to store those with the onions and potatoes but I am going to have a pile of veg in my basement closet...
I have no idea what "patty pan" squash is (I'm assuming though that it is a squash) and I don't like cantaloupes, okra or tomatoes. Never have, never will.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Patty pan squash is a summer squash. It's small, round, and shallow with scalloped edges.

Now, I love cantaloupes, winter squash, and like tomatoes ... to some extent. I'm not crazy about summer squash. Acorn or Butternut squash or yams are great in a slow cooker. I'm lazy though, so purchase butternut squash already cut up. Yams I just scrub and toss in a slow cooker and walk away for a bunch of hours (like about 6-8) and voila. Perfect yams! When the squash or yams are done, I usually just mash them and add butter and salt. With yams, sometimes, I'll sprinkle them with cinnamon and cloves.

I should try "baking" potatoes whole in the slow cooker. Normally, I just microwave them for about 10 minutes. Carrots, potatoes, turnips, garlic and apples or pears cut up make a great slow cooker stew ... with or without meat.

I hate green beans unless they are Green Giant or Libby's canned cut green beans. I rarely like cucumber, and can tolerate onions only in certain circumstances. Powered :wink: or so finely chopped that I can't even see it. Never, never, never, in a green salad, potato salad, or egg salad. Garlic added to potato soup is fabulous as is it when added to mashed potatoes or stews. Just don't go overboard with garlic or your tummy is going to be very, very, VERY unhappy and crampy. At least ... that's what I discovered when I had a lot of garlic one week.

While I love bacon, it has to be by itself or in a BLT. Definitely should not be chopped up and cooked in green beans or any other vegetable. Same with ham.

I tried kale salads, but don't particularly care for kale either. Greens belong in a salad and never cooked. Spinach I can barely tolerate ... as long as it's baby and in a salad. I like most salad greens ... except the bitter or peppery salad greens.

I absolutely love broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and carrots. Those four ... along with the occasional corn and peas are my standard vegetables. Steamed (but not oversteams) ... with butter and salt. Although, I tried cauliflower "steaks" a month or so ago, and really liked it. I suspect I'd like roasted brussels sprouts or cauliflower. I've tried them both pan roasted. Carrots are absolutely yummy pan roasted. I rarely like to use the oven ... it's just too big to use the oven for one person. So once I get a microwave convection oven, I will probably "oven" roast vegetables more often. They have a far more complex flavor roasted than when steamed or cooked in boiling water.

Navy beans and cranberry beans are cool, and I on the fence with pinto and great northern. But I don't like kidney or lima beans ... at all. And I'm not really sure I like lentils.

In some cases, it's not the flavor at all that I don't like, but the shape or color. It's why I don't like yellow or orange M&Ms, but I like red, green, blue, and brown M&Ms. Yeah. Weird.

Needless to say, I'm not the easiest person to cook for. And ... it's rather rare that I experiment.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Green Beans or Wax Beans --

Add 1 medium onion (chopped) to a pot with beans and water.
Plop a pat or two of butter in the pot with the veggies and water.
Add pepper to taste. (as much or as little as you like.)

Cook for about five minutes. You want the beans to still "pop" slightly in your mouth when you bite into them.

Drain the water. All of the water. Add some breadcrumbs to the veggies, and mix it together. You may need to add a little more pepper to the dish at the end. Breadcrumbs will be a little bit like a paste mixed in. They add a touch of flavor, and a little something different to the texture of the beans. If you can find them, my daughter and my Bear like the "Italian" flavored bread crumbs mixed in with veggies.

For crispy breadcrumbs instead, you would drain the pot of veggies, put everything in an oven-safe dish, then add bread crumbs on top and stick the whole dish into the oven at about 350 degrees for five minutes or so. Just enough for the bread crumbs to crisp up.

Optional Additions :
You can add a little bit of corn or potatoes to the beans as well. If adding potatoes, cook the pot until the potatoes are soft enough to be done. Beans will be a little more soft in the case of the potatoes, and you would probably want to do the oven method for the bread crumbs to add a little crunch texture to the dish.

------------

I also make a Three Sisters Soup which uses pinto beans, green beans, squash, and corn. Not everyone likes that kind of a soup, but if you want my recipe for it, I'll gladly write it down for you. Just let me know.

General rule of thumb, Earl, with veggies. If cooking/boiling on the stove, you want them tender but NOT mushy. Don't cook them so far that they turn to goop. If they come out mushy, they're overcooked, and you've actually cooked out ALL of the nutrients, and might as well be eating grass. :)

Many "greens" are just as good in raw form (make sure you wash first!) as they are cooked.

Also, many veggies and greens will bake nicely in an oven, too.

Spinach - Brussel Sprouts - These are great if boiled until tender (NOT mushy!) and then you just put some white vinegar on top of them. (With Brussel sprouts, cut the sprouts in half, and THEN put the vinegar on top. Vinegar is added at the table, to taste, by each person on their plate.)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh Satira, you sound pretty much like me :D (except I can't do winter squashes/pumpkin I have an intolerance to them). We just call your "patty pan squashes" squashes here as we pretty much call all the winter ones pumpkins (and I don't think we have as big a range as you do). I found they like tomatoes so if you chop them up and put in something like a spaghetti sauce they're not so bad. I don't do green salads at all, the only leafy greens I like are cabbage and occasionally I can do baby spinach. My friend makes a rockin' good potato salad because her partner doesn't like onion either like me.

Seliah, I hate Brussel Sprouts boiled, I love them roasted or pan roasted (I think its because growing up everyone boiled the heck out of them and the were horrible, no wonder everyone thinks they hate them, they never had them done properly :))

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't like Brussel Sprouts either. I much prefer Brocolli for a green vegetable, other than green/string beans.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I like most veggies and fruits and nuts and.. basically anything that grows out of the ground. LOL

Brussel sprouts are usually over cooked by most people. They're not supposed to be mushy! I like the idea of roasting them, though. I will have to try that out some time. It sounds good. :)

Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussel sprouts, peas, corn, wax beans, green beans, squashes, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, milkweed, dandelion, staghorn sumac, mulberry, acorns...... okay, I'll stop. LOL ^_^

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think I lost you after potatoes Seliah. :D Though I have to say I don't eat cooked spinach, unless it's in a quiche. Fresh spinach salad, however, I love.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
When I was a kid, my mom used to put toasted almond slivers in our green beans and they were wonderful that way, just a bit of a crunch and that warm nutty flavor, along with a touch of butter.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, but I'm not a big almond fan. The only thing I've ever liked them on was Almond Joy, and nine times out of ten I only bought them when i couldn't get an actual Mounds.