• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Another dynamic cloth option

DigiDotz

Adventurous
also the figure posing looks well done in whatever program it is, dragging the shin to change the pose etc
Could be healthy competition for the virtual world dynamics thing if it gets to release stage.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's a game engine for Unity with a custom front end he built. So far the only thing about this actually connected to Studio is the figure and poses.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
He's talking about creating a script to return the dynamics to DS for rendering. It will be interesting to see where he takes it.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Unity, hmm I wonder if there will be licensing issues then. I hope not cause it does look like it could be great!

eclark1894

Visionary
Unity, hmm I wonder if there will be licensing issues then. I hope not cause it does look like it could be great!
I don't think so. From what i read in his post he says he's writing it fro the ground up, so it'll be his creation. I think what he's showing there is his concept of what he'd like the finished product to be.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

Using Unity shouldn't cause any issues. It's purpose for being is to allow people to create software to sell/distribute. And I'm pretty sure their physics engine wasn't built by them form the ground up as is. Can't remember where they got it from but I remember trying to deal with a bouncing issue and discovering that it was part of the physics engine they were using (yep, Unity user here). And Unity does has a free download version, so if it required Unity, that wouldn't be an issue. That being said his interface looks nothing like Unity.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah...iirc it's only when they want to sell at a certain level that money becomes involved in using it. They designed it to make it easy for indie game makers to use.

eclark1894

Visionary
Using Unity shouldn't cause any issues. It's purpose for being is to allow people to create software to sell/distribute. And I'm pretty sure their physics engine wasn't built by them form the ground up as is. Can't remember where they got it from but I remember trying to deal with a bouncing issue and discovering that it was part of the physics engine they were using (yep, Unity user here). And Unity does has a free download version, so if it required Unity, that wouldn't be an issue. That being said his interface looks nothing like Unity.
He said he wrote his own front end. I'm assuming that's what he meant.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yeah...iirc it's only when they want to sell at a certain level that money becomes involved in using it. They designed it to make it easy for indie game makers to use.

Yeah, as long as your company isn't making more than $100,000 a year, you aren't required to use Unity Pro for any of you projects. And Unity also makes a lot of it's money by selling assets, kind of like how Daz makes money from content not the software. In fact Daz is trying to sell models and content through Unity as well, although I believe it's mostly a different catalogs than the standard one. I tried to take a look at it once, but it's only accessible through Unity, and their (Daz's) interface was so clunky that I gave up quickly.

He said he wrote his own front end. I'm assuming that's what he meant.

Ah yes, that's what I was trying to say. All this this reminds me that there is some sort of cloth simulation/dynamic cloth built into Unity. Although I don't think it's half as good as what this guy has done. To be fair I've never really used it, as I do my 3d work in Poser, to make renders that I import into Unity as images. (I'm a big Unity user if you can't guess at this point).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've always been interested in trying it out...just never had the time. What you've said fits with what I remembered from reading a long time ago.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Totally cool. Looks like there will be more than one choice for Studio in the near future! :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I understood this is not a cloth simulator, but instead a softbody dynamics simulator. We can do this in Poser with the built-in Bullet engine in almost real-time, but collision detection is too low precision at best, and it runs on CPU, which won't compare to this massively parallel GPU processing. Sounds like a great idea for Compute or CUDA, since it does LOTS of the same kind of calculations over massive amount of points - pretty much like we already do with 3D accelerated games on the GPU.

Bullet softbody dynamics can already run in near real-time on the CPU, so I can imagine the performance if done over the GPU. That would allow increasing the collision precision, and make a real-time cloth simulation as seen on the demo video possible. Really a great idea, and perhaps this will be the future of dynamic simulations. I can already run real-time hair sims with Bullet's softbody dynamics with just the CPU, so imagine if that could be GPU accelerated! :D