• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Add your Render Challenges ideas here

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Add your Render Challenges ideas here. :drawing:

I thought we could all put our ideas for Challenges here so they could be gathered in one place and maybe there wont be such big gaps between them. :)

To me a challenge is just that, I don't think we need prizes since its a challenge not a contest (although prizes are nice :p). I see it more as a chance to try a new technique or something outside your comfort zone.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
One of my ideas I was thinking about is a challenge using a Freebie from here
eg: everyone has to use that item but could render it any way they liked.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
How about a Dusk Only challenge
(meaning Dusk as the only HW figure used, no Dawn or Harry etc since I think he needs more render love :D)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A Night challenge.

I don't really see many low light renders so this might be a good one.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A "quote" or "phrase" type theme, you know, everyone renders what best that phrase means to them.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
"Genre" themes eg: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Superhero, Nature, Landscape etc

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
"Technical" themes eg: Depth of Field (which we currently have going, yay!)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
"Post Work" Challenge.

This might still need to feature around another theme otherwise it would be too random or it could be someone supplies a basic render and everyone has a chance to post work it (that would be interesting to see everyone's results :D)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A "Colour" theme

eg: could be a render that is mainly "Red" or "Purple" etc
A "Sepia" or "Black & White" render etc.
Or even a render that is mainly one colour with a 1 pop of another colour (both specified colours).

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'm basically going to copy and paste my idea from the So where are the challenges then ? thread. I figure this will keep the ideas together.

Along the lines of showing character through poses, you could also do some themed stuff. For instance I know Ken's superhero out fit was recently released and there are several others in the works. So what if you had a superhero challenge, except maybe requiring that the image show defeat instead of victory. Or maybe a Fairy challenge, but the fairies have to be evil without simply being ugly, or something like that. It might be a nice way to mix things up with technical challenges, and then character challenges.
Also I don't know if there are any sticky legal issues with fan art, but taking an iconic figure of some sort (much like a recent Zoro render I saw @Lyne post) but emphasizing again showing who the character is, and trying to convey something about them.

Just some thoughts. And there might be better ways to do character challenges than that.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Just a thought!

I know in some places they set up a monthly challenge thread to generate ideas and themes from the community and they let it run for about a week.
Then, they take the ideas and create a poll for everyone in the community to vote on what the challenge theme will be for next month.

At the first of the month, they announce what the theme for that month will be and rules and/or guidelines for the challenge.

It would be neat if you could also get like an award banner added to your avatar icon if you didn't go with monetary or donation prizes.

They could include that in the newsletters to promote more community involvement.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes NA, that sounds similar to what Eric/Traveler used to do with the RDNA monthly challenges. I always liked the idea of having a poll to choose the themes. In RDNA's case, however, Eric always came up with the themes to vote on. I like the idea of the community coming up with ideas, and then having a poll to see which gets the most votes.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Great ideas! Keep them coming then errr "someone in authority" can look at NA's suggestion :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Agree totally Lorraine...

Not sure that I would say we're an authority...but Lorraine, Miss B and myself with Seliah are often involved in setting up the challenges so the people most likely to organise something like this are already here. :bounce:

We would need to run it past Lisa and Alisa but I like the idea also...