• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A strange way of working.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Aside from the two occasions where they admitted they were at fault, there really is no proof that the breach happened at Rendo
Actually, from what I understand, Renderosity uses PayPal for all their purchases, even if you want to use a credit card, but since my card got hacked back in November for the second time in the same year, I now go directly to PayPal to make any purchases there without any problems.

I believe, though as you say have no proof, it's a Point of Purchase issue, where some hacker was able to get in the path between Renderosity and PayPal, and that's where the information is being stolen, so it's not directly the fault of Renderosity, or PayPal for that matter.

McGyver

Energetic
Well, I'm glad to hear you've only been blocked for 24 hours.
Since they blocked your account, that indicates a ban on commerce between you and them...
One of the definitions for embargo is "to place a ban on trade, a country or commodity"
So technically they've placed an embargo on you.
That's cool... You are like a rouge nation now.
The great Hornet3D Embargo of 2017.
Don't feel bad, be proud... you are right up there with North Korea now.
I hope this helps.

Hornet3d

Wise
It is good that you have received an explanation, and that the ban was only temporary.

As to what they mean about it, I can imagine it has to do with some posts you've made where you have stated that you refuse to shop at Rendo because your CC got hacked so many times. Aside from the two occasions where they admitted they were at fault, there really is no proof that the breach happened at Rendo, and I can understand how it might get tiresome for some people, and certainly for Rendo, to see that accusation over and over again, even if it's only implied and not directly. That might be what they meant about lying as well (mind you I'm not saying you are lying, but from their point of view, it might be seen that way). Just my two cents, and for the record, I have never been offended by your posts :)

Thank you for that, you could well be right. I could explain further but that could be seen as just continuing the subject and so I will let the matter drop. Clearly I am not happy with the ban but I will take it on the chin. If they decide to unlock my account I intend to move to 'lurk' mode with the exception of where I think I can help fellow others with their art. My skills are limited so that will be a fairly rare occurrence anyway. To say any more would not help so I will keep my feelings and thoughts to myself.

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Actually, from what I understand, Renderosity uses PayPal for all their purchases, even if you want to use a credit card, but since my card got hacked back in November for the second time in the same year, I now go directly to PayPal to make any purchases there without any problems.

I believe, though as you say have no proof, it's a Point of Purchase issue, where some hacker was able to get in the path between Renderosity and PayPal, and that's where the information is being stolen, so it's not directly the fault of Renderosity, or PayPal for that matter.

Your comments are welcome and noted, I hope you will understand if I don't comment further.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I'm glad to hear you've only been blocked for 24 hours.
Since they blocked your account, that indicates a ban on commerce between you and them...
One of the definitions for embargo is "to place a ban on trade, a country or commodity"
So technically they've placed an embargo on you.
That's cool... You are like a rouge nation now.
The great Hornet3D Embargo of 2017.
Don't feel bad, be proud... you are right up there with North Korea now.
I hope this helps.

Thanks I needed something to make me smile although being compared with North Korea may not help much, then again my grip on sanity is tenuous at the best of times.

Hornet3d

Wise
Honestly that's totally ridiculous, I've seen your posts at rendo and have never seen you be anything but polite considerate and understanding.
I've been way more critical than you have ever been I hope that it is just an error and that you get it sorted out quickly, I'd be livid if they deleted my account without warning, makes me feel that it may not be a bad idea to make sure that I have everything from there backed up.

Thank you for that, it is hard for me to put into words just how much solace your words have for me. I have always thought of myself someone who is fair and tries to see the other persons point of view added to that I always thought I was approachable. That someone felt they had to report me rather than approach me directly, by site mail if need be, suggests they were very angry or they regarded me as unreasonable, despite the explanation (which I accept) has left me hurt and confused.

In truth the ban itself is not the issue it is more that I feel my whole character has been challenged. I have often found that 3D art can have a dark side, something I dislike but you have to take life as you find it. I have never had anything in any of my hobbies that has bitten me in this manner, and it hurts.

I need to give this a lot of thought and decide if I want to proceed with this as a hobby, the temptation to go off and play with my steam engines and leave 3D art behind is strong at the moment. The only thing I am really sure of at this point is now is the wrong time for me to make a final decision.

Hornet3d

Wise
If it's only for 24 hours, they should call it a suspension instead of a ban.

The actual punishment did sound a lot more serious particularly as it removed my access to literally thousands of dollars of downloads, even if I do have them backed up it was a concern if any action was permanent, which, without access to the explanation, appeared it could be the case.

Now I have the explanation, call it a suspension or ban it is not really a big issue for me, it has a much wider impact. Many I know will think I am over reacting and they are probably right, it is a personal trait I have little control over. In almost all respects I am fairly easy going and normally you have to get up very early in the day and be trying very hard to upset me. There is one area where this is not the case, question my integrity, my honesty or both and that can push all my buttons in an instance. It is an aspect of my character that has been with me for as long as I can remember. Maybe it is because I have a very strong sense of fair play and want to be treated the same, I am not sure. All I do know is this has had a impact on me that has made me question where I go from here, that is not trying to be alarmist (I am am well aware it would have little impact on anyone else) but I feel strongly if something does not make you happy you should, if at all possible, stop doing it.

McGyver

Energetic
Firstly I must say, I have no idea what you said there or what the "offending" conversation was about.
But...
I don't think you are overreacting.
First, if they didn't phrase their notification of your ban properly, that was not bright of them.
I see that constantly on websites and I realize I'm the worst offender of grammar, but when it's an important statement, I try to get the exact idea across.
Making a statement that sounds like a permanent account ban is a pretty careless thing to do and can really piss someone off.
Second, I get banning someone from forums, but from their paid content is kinda stupid... It's not like it's a physical store where you are gonna get pissed off and start knocking over displays or throwing their potato chips around.
Denying one access to their purchases is more likely to escalate a situation then teach anyone a lesson, because if you were doing an illustration job or something where you needed access to your paid content right away they just unnecessarily screwed you monetarily for no good reason.
What would that solve?
I've had so many posts removed from DAZ where someone thought I meant something I absolutely did not, it got stupid to even bother making posts, yes I'm infamous for my satirical innuendo, but if get a notification that a post was removed and I have no idea what I said (and I stopped making long posts there a while ago)... (I only do that here more or less... Hivewire is cool)... And I have to play back in my mind what I wrote and then run over it a dozen time to even get a semblance of something that could be remotely interpreted as forbidden... I get annoyed too.
It's annoying to feel chastised for something that's completely inoffensive in normal conversation.

I'm not saying you were wrong or right, since I don't know what went down... but it is human nature to feel bothered and upset and completely understandable that you should feel this way.

Don't let it get to you.
I don't know how their system works, but it seems very evident that some sites have mods that are quicker to push a button then others...
Maybe it's a language issue, or they are sensitive or misinterpret the meaning or are overworked...
I'm pretty one site I know of has a sociopathic capybara as a mod, but that's probably just because they needed someone for the off hours and capybaras never keep normal hours and work cheaply.

And sorry about the North Korea comparison, I just couldn't come up with a better embargoed rouge nation, quickly...

Wasn't there some guy who took over an old WW2 gun installation in the North Sea off the coast of England a while back and declared himself a nation?...
That sounds fantastically benignly insane and fun and I'm sure he has at least one embargo on him...
So I probably should have looked that up and used that.
What I actually meant was the next time someone gets all up in your face in the real world, you can use the line "Oh, you think you are bad bro? I've had embargoes place on me, yo..."
Then again I don't know how many bar room brawls you get into and how literate your opponents are.

Either way, don't feel bad and I don't think your reactions or subsequent feelings are unusual or unjustified.

Hornet3d

Wise
Firstly I must say, I have no idea what you said there or what the "offending" conversation was about.
But...
I don't think you are overreacting.
First, if they didn't phrase their notification of your ban properly, that was not bright of them.
I see that constantly on websites and I realize I'm the worst offender of grammar, but when it's an important statement, I try to get the exact idea across.
Making a statement that sounds like a permanent account ban is a pretty careless thing to do and can really piss someone off.
Second, I get banning someone from forums, but from their paid content is kinda stupid... It's not like it's a physical store where you are gonna get pissed off and start knocking over displays or throwing their potato chips around.
Denying one access to their purchases is more likely to escalate a situation then teach anyone a lesson, because if you were doing an illustration job or something where you needed access to your paid content right away they just unnecessarily screwed you monetarily for no good reason.
What would that solve?
I've had so many posts removed from DAZ where someone thought I meant something I absolutely did not, it got stupid to even bother making posts, yes I'm infamous for my satirical innuendo, but if get a notification that a post was removed and I have no idea what I said (and I stopped making long posts there a while ago)... (I only do that here more or less... Hivewire is cool)... And I have to play back in my mind what I wrote and then run over it a dozen time to even get a semblance of something that could be remotely interpreted as forbidden... I get annoyed too.
It's annoying to feel chastised for something that's completely inoffensive in normal conversation.

I'm not saying you were wrong or right, since I don't know what went down... but it is human nature to feel bothered and upset and completely understandable that you should feel this way.

Don't let it get to you.
I don't know how their system works, but it seems very evident that some sites have mods that are quicker to push a button then others...
Maybe it's a language issue, or they are sensitive or misinterpret the meaning or are overworked...
I'm pretty one site I know of has a sociopathic capybara as a mod, but that's probably just because they needed someone for the off hours and capybaras never keep normal hours and work cheaply.

And sorry about the North Korea comparison, I just couldn't come up with a better embargoed rouge nation, quickly...

Wasn't there some guy who took over an old WW2 gun installation in the North Sea off the coast of England a while back and declared himself a nation?...
That sounds fantastically benignly insane and fun and I'm sure he has at least one embargo on him...
So I probably should have looked that up and used that.
What I actually meant was the next time someone gets all up in your face in the real world, you can use the line "Oh, you think you are bad bro? I've had embargoes place on me, yo..."
Then again I don't know how many bar room brawls you get into and how literate your opponents are.

Either way, don't feel bad and I don't think your reactions or subsequent feelings are unusual or unjustified.

In fairness to them no one actually said I was banned I received a notification that there was site mail from from someone in admin (it actually gave the persons name so it was not that impersonal but I have not mentioned it as it is not personal) then, when I clicked on the link I had a system message stating my account was banned. Seems like an IT issue as common sense says this is a strange way of going about things. I took the wording seriously and a ban to me meant something far more severe than a suspension.

Just like you I have no precise idea what actually caused me to be banned/suspended the only information I have is

"It has been brought to our attention by multiple members who feel uncomfortable and upset by the posts you have been making at other sites about Renderosity. A lot of things that have been said are untrue and therefore is a defamation of character."

I may get into trouble for doing so but I did a cut and paste so that the information I received is presented 'as is' and thus is accurate. The reference to other sites must mean Hivewire as I only post on these two sites. This surprises me as I honestly cannot remember me defaming anyone here and, if I had, I am sure that the Hivewire team would have told me (quite rightly) in no uncertain terms that I was out of order. I also have no idea who's character I have defamed. Without trying to make a drama out of it, because of this it has affected my feelings about the relationship I have here, not just at Rendo.

In the longer term Rendo is not going to have much impact on me or my love of the hobby. Hivewire is a different matter, it was solely responsible for me continuing with the hobby and it now doesn't feel quite like the home I thought it was. I hope the team will not see that as in any way a criticism of them, it is not, but I hope the team will understand that this turn of events has left me feeling rather raw.

I have no idea what the actual posts were or in which forum. I have been critical over a number of issues so they probably had a lot to choose from but then I have been critical about the changes for well over a year so why I should be banned at this point I am not sure. At first I tried to make positive suggestions regarding the changes but I stopped doing even that but that again was some time ago. That said this mentions members which implies it was not the powers that be at Rendo that initiated the ban but were, quite rightly, reacting to an complaint for more than one individual.

Moving on, there is actually no need to apologise about the North Korea comparison, I just had the thought that if some others believed I was connected with them they could nuke me claiming they were drawing a red line but would be confident it would not escalate as no one would jump to my defense. I will quickly add I am joking, I don't want anyone to think I am being political, one ban is enough believe me.

Seriously I was not at all upset. Your posts always brings a smile to my face and often a full bellied laugh, this time I needed something to make me smile more than normal.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm... I've banned myself from Rendo a couple of years ago, but I didn't forcibly delete my account. Although, I did delete all of my freebies, all four pages of them from Freestuff. To this day I still won't allow me to post any freebies until I send myself an email begging my forgiveness.:sneaky:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
OMG! You're connected to North Korea?!?

Seriously though. I've have reacted just as you have, and I'd have felt just as upset and as ... gobsmacked ... as you. I can't tell you how many times I reacted to treatment elsewhere that I felt was unfair by deciding I was done.

My response ... whether at work or on forums ... to being accused of something that was usually misinterpreted or misreported, is to withdraw completely from others. Eventually ... because I can be so stupidly friendly and trusting ... I start running my mouth again (so to speak) ... forgetting that there is someone completely untrustworthy in the mix.

There are people everywhere who are unable to "confront" a person over behavior or something that's been said/overhear. Which ... I do understand, as I'm not at all comfortable with telling someone I feel uncomfortable or offended by something they said or did. Unfortunately, these people far too often misinterpret and misreport that which made them feel uncomfortable or "upset" them.

Thing is ... I rather fail to see how commenting the security at a site seems to be rather lacking or that you no longer trust the security at that site is defamation of character. Um ... Renderosity isn't an individual in any sense of the word. Shame on them for first ... taking action without giving you a chance to explain, and second ... to claim "defamation of character."

I also don't react very well when I've had a post pulled. Especially when my post was in response to something that was completely inaccurate, and I tried to present the other "truth" without resorting to a "liar, liar, pants on fire" tirade. What really, really offended me though was that by pulling the series of posts, those mods allowed the lie to stand as truth. Over the years it became a bit obvious that perhaps encouraging certain mistruths was exactly the intention.

Oh sorry. I kinda went off on a tangent there.

So, I guess what I really want to say is ... you're not alone in your reaction. It's not at all untypical for people who strive to be fair, to see the other person's point of view, to be sooo very careful in how they say things so as not to offend others ... to kinda like ... go ballistic (or want to) when accused of the very behavior they try so hard to avoid.

Dylan

Eager
"It has been brought to our attention by multiple members who feel uncomfortable and upset by the posts you have been making at other sites about Renderosity. A lot of things that have been said are untrue and therefore is a defamation of character."

Surely that shouldn't matter so long as you didn't make those alleged posts on Rendo? I mean so long as you posted within the rules at Rendo, whatever you post outside shouldn't matter?

eclark1894

Visionary
Surely that shouldn't matter so long as you didn't make those alleged posts on Rendo? I mean so long as you posted within the rules at Rendo, whatever you post outside shouldn't matter?
Good point, Dylan. I mean, what rule did Hornet actually break that they felt suchaction against him was warranted?

Willowisp

Adventurous
You are not overreacting, not by a long shot! I also prefer if someone have a problem with me, that they tell me to my face, instead of brushing it under the carpet and let it fester until it explodes in your face.. But some people are just unable to. I've learned to distance myself from such people, and instead keep around me people who will talk to me straight.

Don't let this discourage you from your hobby, whoever reported you isn't worth it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thank you for all your comments. I am not at all angry at the persons involved decided not to confront me, saddened, but not angry. I just don't understand why, if they felt that they were being deflamed here they did not raise the issues with the moderators here. It is a bit like being banned from Mc Donalds because some one told them they heard me call their burgers rubbish while in Burger King.

I just feel very upset and more than a little bewildered, I thought it wold seem better after I had slept on it but, if anything it seems worse.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hornet, I'm really sorry that this has happened and totally get your reaction to this.

Something to consider in all this though is that there are many people who visit the hive who do not actively post or participate in threads. I would hate to see you no longer posting here because of this. Many of the active members here enjoy and look forward to your posts and the images you create.

:grouphug:

Pen

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. And you're like a brother from another mother and father. You think more like me than my actual brothers do!

Well ... more than my two highly conservative brothers do anyway. My liberal brother does tend to think a lot like me. He just ... like the other two ... is more into sports than art. Totally amazing that I come from the same family. They all lived and breathed sports. Baseball, Football, Basketball. I was the only Art minded one in the bunch. Both a girl and an artist. I so didn't fit in.