• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Question about Jewelry

eclark1894

Visionary
Made a few more changes, most notably to the Gemstone material. Also made the ring thinner. Maybe the ring should be silver?

1576496105894.png

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Quit often the band will be thickened a little at the point where the bezel cup or other setting meets the band, due to the way the two elements are brazed together.

eclark1894

Visionary
I don't think it will matter much in this case. That's still a WIP and I'm going to be adding a bit of thickness to the base of that setting.

eclark1894

Visionary
Found another tutorial online this morning, so I figured, what the heck? Took slightly longer to render than to follow the tutorial.
I am finding out some pointers though such as how to create that curved detail in the metal. And that vein in the stone is all procedural. I want to go back and try this now on the class ring I made earlier.

Attachments

• bling2.png
    bling2.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 133

eclark1894

Visionary
Redid the class ring as well. But I still need to texture it a lot more. Displacement maps probably.

Attachments

• classring.png
    classring.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 144

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The last renders you posted are looking good, and yes very often diamond solitaire rings are made with white gold or platinum, which look like silver.

eclark1894

Visionary
Did an Emerald ring this time. Left it a little bigger this time. And yeah, the ring band is split.

Attachments

• Emerualdring.png
    Emerualdring.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 127

Miss B

CV-BEE
I like the idea of the split band, but it looks as though the top half is wider than the bottom half, but that may just be the lighting in this particular render.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's lying on a plane and a little buried in it. Is a wrist watch considered jewelry? I've spent the morning on one, but I'm stumped as to how to texture the dial.

Attachments

• Emerualdring.png
    Emerualdring.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 125

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I would consider a watch jewelry. I always wear one when I'm out of the house.

I tried modeling one a long time ago, and don't recall where I got the textures, or if they were part of a tutorial I was following at the time. I'll have to dig it out and see.

Edited to Add:

I found the tutorial I was following back in 2012, and I think I may have to go back and finish it at some point.

Creating A Fancy Watch In Blender

Here's what I came up with, but the watch face isn't part of the tutorial, so either I had found another tutorial, or I found the graphic and just adapted it.

FancyWatchMapped.jpg

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Is a wrist watch considered jewelry?
Frequently. Used to be a necessity, with some of them much fancier than others. Now adays, people have other ways of getting the time and therefore actual wrist watches usually are worn as decoration more than a necessity.

eclark1894

Visionary
BTW, I'm doing most of my renders these days in Blender, so I can fully use Cycles. These days, I've got two criticisms of Poser which may actually affect my future buying decision. One of them is the "phone home" thing, which in the light of Studio being free, makes even less sense to me, and the fact that Cycles in Poser is fundamentally crippled.

eclark1894

Visionary
Went to bed last night working on this. Got up this morning and finished it off. Gold Bracelet with diamonds in the band. Mine's a little different. No screws on mine. Not stamped with the Cartier brand.

And here's the real one made by Cartier.
1576673866586.png

Attachments

• bracelet.png
    bracelet.png
    332.5 KB · Views: 156

Miss B

CV-BEE
. . . and the fact that Cycles in Poser is fundamentally crippled.
Poser's SuperFly is only "based on Cycles" Earl. It isn't "actually" Cycles, and I agree it needs a lot of work, especially the missing nodes, together with how they're connected to get the same results you can get in Blender. I'm hopeful now that Bondware owns Poser, Chuck Taylor (Nerd 3D) and the team can rectify these issues, among others.

eclark1894

Visionary
Poser's SuperFly is only "based on Cycles" Earl. It isn't "actually" Cycles, and I agree it needs a lot of work, especially the missing nodes, together with how they're connected to get the same results you can get in Blender. I'm hopeful now that Bondware owns Poser, Chuck Taylor (Nerd 3D) and the team can rectify these issues, among others.
I understand that it is only based on Cycles, Miss B. It is still fundamentally crippled. And it's not JUST the nodes that are missing. I have to hold back on what and how I apply textures in Blender, knowing that they may not show or work in Poser. After all, I could still apply those missing nodes in Blender, but Poser won't see them.