• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

12th Annual Open Rendering Season Contest 2018

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Open Rendering Season Contest 2018

HiveWire 3D and Songbird ReMix

00-Grand- Prize-What's our heading Captain by Dan30.jpg

"What's our heading, Captain?" by Dan30 (2017 Grand Prize Winner)

It's open season on bird renders of every kind and
you're invited to take a shot at creating your best.

Contest begins Tuesday, June 5th, 2018 and
Ends on Sunday, July 15th, 2018.
Winners will be posted on Friday, July 20th, 2018.

HiveWire 3D and Ken Gilliland express their gratitude to the companies and individuals who are showing support by co-sponsoring this contest with their willingness to donate prizes. We appreciate all of you very much.

Many thanks to our sponsors: Filter Forge, Smith Micro, Renderosity
ff-logo.png

smith_micro_logo320x100.png

rendo-logo-black-650x114.png

Prizes Current Prize packages valued at over $3,206.94!

Grand Prize (currently a $1,278.98 value)
1st Prize (currently a $883.98 value prize package)
2nd Prize (currently over a $808.98 value)
3rd Prize (currently over a $160.00 value)
Honorable Mentions - usually 5 awards given - currently a $75 value)

To get you started we've put together a few sweet deals for you in our
Birds & Botanicals Sale
where you can choose from nature-inspired items to create your winning entry.

2018 Judges
The judging for the contest will be conducted by the staff of Audubon California. The staff includes a dedicated group of individual ranging from scientists and activists to people simply passionate about saving birds and our planet. Audubon's mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity.

01-1st-Splash by luannemarie.jpg

"Splash" by Luannemarie ( 1st Place Winner of 2017 )

Contest Rules

1. Imagery must contain a visible and discernible Songbird ReMix bird product (See acceptable list of products). Imagery to be submitted may be still or animated. Any 2D or 3D Software may be used. The size of the still imagery should be no smaller than 800 x 600 pixels and no larger than 2000 x 2000 pixels and saved in .jpg format. Animation entries should be posted on YouTube and a link to the animation provided on the Contest Entry form.

2. Two entry submission per entrant. Note that there are risks in submitting two entries. You could end up competing against yourself and diluting votes to your submission. Enter the Contest here.

3. You may enter a piece that has been posted elsewhere (such as another forum, contest, etc). You may not enter a piece which has been previously entered in this specific contest (such as last years' entry of the 2017 Open Rendering Season Contest).

4. Images may not contain nudity. Please remember judging will be partially focusing on the use of the Songbird ReMix package. The winning entries will be selected by a Judging Panel - The Panel's decision is final. Judges will perform independent reviews of the submissions. The Judges (and Ken) may not submit entries.

5. The finished products must be solely the creation by the entrant . All artists agree, by entering this contest, to allow HiveWire 3D and Ken Gilliland to use their entries to promote future contests held, and to display the result of this contest. The Artist will remain the intellectual property holder of their entry images. Images and animations will not be used for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of the artist.

6. Entries will be accepted beginning June 5th, 2018. All entries must submitted by July 15th, 2018, 11:59pm GMT. Any entries submitted after that date will not be considered. Award winners will be announced on July 20th, 2018. Prize winners must supply their real names, email addresses, and mailing addresses for prize distribution. Monetary amount of "Shopping Spree" can only be used at Songbird ReMix Merchandise Store (Ken's CafePress, Zazzle and RedBubble stores). Unused amounts of "Shopping Spree" prize are considered non-redeemable.

7. Judging details. Judging is conducted by a three member panel and done in secret (so judges don't influence each other). Judges will select their 5 favorite pieces and assign point values to them. (7pts=1st choice, 5pts=2nd choice, 3pts=3rd choice, 2 pts=4th choice and 1pt=5th choice). Once all 3 judges submit their choices, the points are tabulated and prizes awarded.

Submit your entry here!

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yay! The contest has officially begun. Bring on the impressive Ken Gilliland bird imagery. We hope you'll all enjoy this annual event. I believe this makes 11 years now, if I'm correct. We're honored to be hosting this with our talented friend Ken. And we greatly appreciate our sponsors Smith Micro, and Renderosity coming on at a moments notice as well. We may still have another sponsor or two, and if that happens we'll share the news here.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
i´m going to post my kingfisher image to this...is the idea i had when i posted on this contest the first time...but i had not the kingfisher to do it...so this time it will be there...sure i will not win anything...but i like to contribute :giggle:

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to HiveWire Tori, and thanks to SM for sponsoring this wonderful render challenge. :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Tori, thanks so much for jumping in and saying hi. We appreciate all Smith Micro is doing, and for your support. Very cool.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A big thank-you to Smith-Micro, Renderosity and, of course, Hivewire for your continued support of my contest.

As I've said in years past, this contest gives a spotlight to bird based art which is often under appreciated most 3D art galleries. So start your 3D art engines, because its "Open Rendering Season"

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Welcome to the Hive, Tori!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone will do with Ken's gorgeous birds :)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
That time of year again!

that means I'm another year older....

and I haven't a clue as to what to do :giggle:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, Debbie and welcome to the Hive!

Great questions - I can answer the first part - yes, you can have people and other things in the image.

Not 100% sure about the answer to question two so I will leave that to Lisa or Ken to chime in on :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to HiveWire Debbie, glad to see Alisa and Satira have answered your questions.

Wow, beachlegs, now there's a name out of the past. ;) I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the render challenge. :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hello my name is Debbie known as beachlegs I would love to join in the contest can I please ask can people also be in the image or is it birds only and do we leave our names off the image when entering?

Hi and welcome to HiveWire.

Yes, you can put people, other animals, props or whatever in the entry. The only real requirement is that one of my bird models has to be visible in the image. As for signing the piece, some people do, some people don't. It won't affect the judging because the judges aren't connected to our 3D world. Every judge is from the staff of Audubon. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them judge, sometimes up to a dozen. For the last three years, even the executive director of Audubon California judged.

The reason for me talking about the judges is to offer a not-so-subtle hint what imagery will appeal to them. The judges are people who care deeply about the environment and the protection of birds (or they probably wouldn't be working/volunteering for Audubon).

To see what has won in years past, visit my website's Contest Gallery.

Good Luck!

Last edited: