• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
I love the fact that she has wrinkles on her face. This makes her look more human and less plastic dolly. Nice work!

Thank you, yes that was the reason for playing with the skin maps and morphs in an attempt to produce a slightly more mature looking character than was/is the norm with V4.

Still a bit red for brass and not *really* metallic, although it does come reasonably close. I just applied a different material before doing my screen grabs. The preliminary one was Sketch Shaded 3 which shows all the detail very nicely, but is a little flat. This one was Polyskin (or Poly Skin, can't recall precisely). Then I threw it into Photoshop where I hit it with Levels to brighten it up and then Hue/Saturation where I pushed it very slightly more yellow than it was.
Screen grabs? They look like renders to me. Different terms for the same thing?
Yes, too red for brass, that's true. More like Bronze, the copper would add redness.
Polyskin looks good. Are there material presets in, uh, is it Z-Brush?, sorry I forgot, but some of these 3d programs have extensive materials.
I just got started learning Carrara and it has a lot a cool materials.

The reins. Yes, I did say they're on the way.
The classic tack looks nice. Yeah, that's for a rider.
Now, on this draft team thing, the reins are divided in an interesting way.
There are guides on the collars, and the left side rein on the left horse goes through his own collar's left guide.
The right side rein on the left horse goes through the left side guide on the right horse collar.
And then the mirror of that. So the driver is holding two reins in each hand but they still operate the same as for a single horse.
If the driver pulls left, both of the horse's heads are pulled left and visa-versa.
So that makes for a complicated set-up. Which is why I will write script(s) to do it.
Because for some peoples preferences that's too much posing.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
roxie.jpg

Experimenting with different camera angles than the norm. Roxie with a dress I made, EZDome, and some extreme lighting...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Screen grabs? They look like renders to me. Different terms for the same thing?
Yes, too red for brass, that's true. More like Bronze, the copper would add redness.
Polyskin looks good. Are there material presets in, uh, is it Z-Brush?, sorry I forgot, but some of these 3d programs have extensive materials.
I just got started learning Carrara and it has a lot a cool materials.

ZBrush has an internal feature for taking screenshots. It isn't actually rendering, since rendering is a whole different procedure. We had to render the Hulk for the midterm (multiple times, and then build a composite), but with everything else we've just needed to turn in screen grabs. It does very nice screen grabs, but they give you the whole screen, so they do need cropping.

The program comes with several dozen different materials which can be applied. One thing that I found interesting is that the material applied gives the appearance of specific lighting. I didn't set up any lights for those screen grabs. Or for the earlier one. The appearance of lighting comes with the material. Admittedly, I did throw it into Photoshop and adjust the levels to brighten it even more, but no lights were used for it. Nor the rendering engine.

Hornet3d

Wise
A warning of strange movements detected in parts of the craft gave Caoimhe the chance to try out her new suit. This way the search could be completed quickly thanks to the jet pack.

New Suit HW.jpg

and on this occasion she was really glad of the jet pack.

Infestation HW.jpg

Suit is CKV-01 for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs and Volpe Box

ZBrush has an internal feature for taking screenshots. It isn't actually rendering, since rendering is a whole different procedure. We had to render the Hulk for the midterm (multiple times, and then build a composite), but with everything else we've just needed to turn in screen grabs. It does very nice screen grabs, but they give you the whole screen, so they do need cropping.

The program comes with several dozen different materials which can be applied. One thing that I found interesting is that the material applied gives the appearance of specific lighting. I didn't set up any lights for those screen grabs. Or for the earlier one. The appearance of lighting comes with the material. Admittedly, I did throw it into Photoshop and adjust the levels to brighten it even more, but no lights were used for it. Nor the rendering engine.

Aha! So now I'm thinking that Sketch Shaded and Polyskin are preview styles.
So, if you put a Bronze metallic shader/material on that and did a render it would probably be amazing.
Something fun to try if your time isn't all occupied with the curriculum.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Useful resource there. I know that 3djoji over on DAZ has some beautifully done carriages, but I don't know of anyone who's done much in the way of harnesses. I think the one most widely used is an old freebie from the gen3 era.

I just did this because an old Caravan in my library was so bad.
Terrible geometry.
But also it's something to do. I have fun with this stuff, especially modeling.
Inspired somewhat by studying Carrara, and thinking of a picture story I want to make.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Somebody over in the DAZ forum posed his adventures in dismantling and the reconstruction one of Jack Tomalin's old caravans. I think it was the Boundless Journeys one, but it could have been World Travels instead.

It was quite an involved process, but it ended up very nice indeed. I don't think he ever got the permission to distribute it, but I haven't made a habit of haunting the freebies forum there to find out. I'd grab it, if it ever was distributed.

But it still didn't have a harness for actually hitching it up to a horse and using it.

Well the Studio Martillo Carravan will probably be packaged and available in a bit.
Not sure how the scripts should work, or the overall setup.
Probably it will be best to have the user load the Carravan and two Draft Horses in the scene first,
and then run the tack setup script.
The horses will need to have the Draft morph 'cause everything is made for that.
There's probably too many parts but I get carried away with details sometimes.
I want it to be able to portray action in a fairly convincing way.

quietrob

Extraordinary
A warning of strange movements detected in parts of the craft gave Caoimhe the chance to try out her new suit. This way the search could be completed quickly thanks to the jet pack.

View attachment 33269

and on this occasion she was really glad of the jet pack.

View attachment 33271

Suit is CKV-01 for Dawn by Ken1171 Designs and Volpe Box
Caption for the bottom image. "This is what happens when you leave dishes in the sink."

Your heroine and the CKV. Excellent render but aren't you missing one of those old fashioned bug spray cans or a really really really big fly swatter!

The first one is good but that second render is a scene stealer!

Hornet3d

Wise
Hehe she reminds me of Dawn. :D

Well at least it suggests I was partially successful in hiding the V4 origins. Eibhleann was soon to become Caoimhe as I tried to replicate her with a Dawn base. I love how Caoimhe turned out but I was a little sad when I went back a replaced Eibhleann with Caoimhe but I still keep both versions of the renders.

Hornet3d

Wise
Caption for the bottom image. "This is what happens when you leave dishes in the sink."

Your heroine and the CKV. Excellent render but aren't you missing one of those old fashioned bug spray cans or a really really really big fly swatter!

The first one is good but that second render is a scene stealer!

Thanks for the comments, I often have a play when using new content for the first time. In this case the suit is new but so is the scene in the first render so I am testing both at the same time.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Setup and rendered in Carrara.. Postwork in PSE2018

The Little Drummer Boy DownUnder

But you forgot the platypus swimming in a puddle! :( The scene is still cute as, though... ;)

I suspect most people have become resigned to adding the reins in post. It's a lot less hassle overall.

I've been thinkin' that there's bound to be a way to setup reins reliably as dynamic cloth objects. I tried it a few times in Poser's Cloth Room, which worked pretty well, but I'm looking into how it works with dForce now as well. The nuisance is that you always need an animated drape to get it to work right, although I suppose with dForce you could rig the reins to have the "hand" parts where you want them, and then have the simulation handle the rest. Time to put my thinking cap on.

That's an interesting idea.
I've decided for the Carravan, which will always be set up for a team, to have each rein divided.
There are four total, and in the center they criss-cross as explained above.
So now, the end at the Hackamore will be attached and have one bone.
Each will be modeled to go to the relative Collar guide, and in Poser will be set to 'Point At' that guide by script.
Then there will be a 'hand' end which will have one bone, be parented to the driver's hand and set to 'Point At' the relative
Collar guide, and all this by script.
Of course the driver will need to be in the scene, and the 'hand' ends of the reins be parented to the hands.
I could have the script for the 'driver' reins prompt for the figure.
Probably the best way.
And of course the figure will need to be seated on the Carravan's top step in the pose of driving.
See, it all get's a bit complicated.
Anyway, with the reins all set to point at the appropriate guide, the only adjustment needed will be to 'Stretch' the rein
to just reach into the guide and then all the reins will appear to be continuous. (Stretch will be Z-Scale)
I've tested this. Came to the conclusion that there needs to be two Hackamores, a Left and a Right.
Crazy of course, but it will make it possible to have a variety of poses for the team, the tack, and the driver.