• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Zaarin

Brilliant
Personally, I think Poser models are WAY more versatile and flexible than people give them credit for. After posting at DA for 10 years, people have been claiming they recognized something I made straight from the tiny thumbnail, way before they see the actual render. Chances are I have developed a specific character and rendering style of my own. Since 2013 I have been using Dawn almost exclusively, and I only have about a dozen clothings and morphs for her - but my characters look nothing like the default Dawn, and people in general don't recognize what figure I used. For example, CatsEyes was created entirely inside Poser with magnets and the Morphing Tool. It is so easy to customize a character in Poser that there are many cases where I create a whole new face and/or body shape just for a single render.

The bottom line is that Poser is just a tool, and we can go a long way from the stock figures using just what comes with it. The tool doesn't make the artist - we cannot blame stock figures for what people do with them. The art is to take these tools and make the best out of them. This is one point where DS doesn't work for me - it lacks something like the Morphing Tool, and I can't go far without it. Just like stock figures, I see pose presets as great starring points for where I want to get. It's very rare when a stock pose or character material can be used without editing of some kind. Sometimes just a little change can go a long way - at least to me. For example, adding a bump map to a hair model makes a world of difference in the final render. So much that sometimes people will comment on that alone. The devil is in the little things.

I left Renderosity and joined DA because I wanted to grow as an artist. I have all my background in computer science and I needed to get involved and interact with artists from all kinds of media. That's how DA has become my new home ever since. I would not have progressed as much if I would stick to a mostly 3D community like RO. I have learned a LOT from the artistic community feedback, be it good or bad. Over 10 years have passed, and I feel like I have finally grown as an artist, and the feedback I get nowadays is more positive than negative. When I started, all I could do was to render stock models and use pose presets, but like in any other media, that was just a start. Most 2D artists I knew started with imitating someone else's style, and I think this is the equivalent of using stock models like we do. The thing is not to settle with that.
Sure, I get that. I also change just about everything in my scene--especially since I switched to SuperFly--and I'm also pretty good at taking a base figure and making it look nothing like the base figure. I guess my biggest complaint is that realism isn't really my favorite style--but neither is anime/manga or cartoon style. Basically I've accepted a sort of stylized realism, because I don't have the 2D skills to achieve a more interesting style. :/

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Zaarin I have to agree with you on this one - my lack of skills with 2D drawing seriously limits my ability to create things in 3D. Most 2D concepts can be translated directly to 3D, but the opposite is just not true. Because of that, learning drawing will take much longer than learning 3D, where we take a lot of things for granted. Until I develop some 2D drawing skills, my 3D art will remain capped to where I am now.

Hornet3d

Wise
The moment when Caoimhe realises, with war now imminent, that any concerns she had about Turlough just don't seem to matter.

Night Walk - Sci Fi City.jpg

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thank you everyone! :balloon03:

I love the render Mythocentric my only concern is the suggestion she it trying to lead me/us down the garden path:). I do like the autumn feel the render has.

Har Har! You know what elves are like Hornet! Invite you to rest in their pavilion, talk about the beauties of nature and the importance of keeping the balance then, as you leave.............hand you a broom and suggest that you might like to help by sweeping up all those leaves because they've, "simply ruined my silk slippers!" :whistling: