• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire House Cat Begins

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
EarsFoldedOverSmall

HouseCatWork34.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I'm loving the ears folded over morph. This is going to be one sweet little kitty. :D

pRabbit

Huh, that looks cool as a cat (... tehe ...). It might be a bit off-topic, but now that I see the outer eye layer removed (which means, for me, that the eye itself is quite a complex model), is there by any chance a way to simulate the Tapetum lucidum (Tapetum lucidum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with a raytracer (Iray in my case)? I'm aching to make a cool picture with eyes properly reflecting light in the darkness, but didn't find a way yet to make it look semi-realistic on any model I've ever used. Maybe I missed something obvious, but hey, Pros like Chris are around, so there's probably no better place to ask this question than here.

Zaarin

Brilliant
Huh, that looks cool as a cat (... tehe ...). It might be a bit off-topic, but now that I see the outer eye layer removed (which means, for me, that the eye itself is quite a complex model), is there by any chance a way to simulate the Tapetum lucidum (Tapetum lucidum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with a raytracer (Iray in my case)? I'm aching to make a cool picture with eyes properly reflecting light in the darkness, but didn't find a way yet to make it look semi-realistic on any model I've ever used. Maybe I missed something obvious, but hey, Pros like Chris are around, so there's probably no better place to ask this question than here.
I'm almost positive I've seen something like that done in Superfly/Cycles, a PBR like iRay, so it should be possible. Couldn't begin to tell you how to do it, though.

pRabbit

I'm almost positive I've seen something like that done in Superfly/Cycles, a PBR like iRay, so it should be possible. Couldn't begin to tell you how to do it, though.

My last idea went something in the direction of "Okay, could write a custom shader for that" and ended in "Okay, how DO I write a custom shader and isn't there an easier possibility?" :D

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Just combining existing shaping morphs that I've created so far for our House Cat to show a couple different looks.

We're actually very close to having this Lil' Kitty done. Paul is cranking away on rigging adjustments and Laurie is churning away on her gorgeous map work.

HouseCatWork37.JPG
HouseCatWork38.JPG

Banditcameraman

Enthusiast
My last idea went something in the direction of "Okay, could write a custom shader for that" and ended in "Okay, how DO I write a custom shader and isn't there an easier possibility?" :D

I use neither Superfly/Cycles nor am familiar with Iray, but I have dedicated my time since 2012 t0 getting my head around Reality which is also physically accurate and after a false start on the tapetum lucidum hit upon a possible solution: since the part is described as iridescent, i converted it to an emissive surface in Reality (and since it's a separate material zone it should be possible to do that in any other rendering engine :) ) During rendering in LuxRender I tweaked the settings, scaling it down, and this is what I got :x3:

Not sure if that's what you're going for but hopefully it points you in the right direction :geek:

pRabbit

I use neither Superfly/Cycles nor am familiar with Iray, but I have dedicated my time since 2012 t0 getting my head around Reality which is also physically accurate and after a false start on the tapetum lucidum hit upon a possible solution: since the part is described as iridescent, i converted it to an emissive surface in Reality (and since it's a separate material zone it should be possible to do that in any other rendering engine :) ) During rendering in LuxRender I tweaked the settings, scaling it down, and this is what I got :x3:

Not sure if that's what you're going for but hopefully it points you in the right direction :geek:

That works quite well, thank you very much! :) Still, need a little adjustment here and there of course ...

flashlight2.jpg