• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Universal Anime Head

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ok, Paul has kindly replied to my questions, and looks like we CANNOT make ERCs in DS with negative range keys, so I will have to create new channel to make the range positive, and then combine it with the Eyes Width ERC to make a composite one that can range from -1 to 1. In other words, DS allows setting the range to negative values, so long as it doesn't drive an ERC that goes negative. Now this explains a lot.

Darn, I was assuming DS was more advanced than Poser when it comes to ERCs, since it's a much newer program, but now it seems like I was wrong.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Continuing to report from my thread at the DAZ forums.

His words:
What is he ERCing to? DS doesn't handle links between figures in the same way as Poser (historically) does. It might be better for Ken to post though I'm not sure my expertise would cope.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks Rich. I think Paul has told me what I needed to know about the ERC. Once I am done with that, then it will be about how to save them, which is a completely different issue.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have followed Paul's advice and created an extra morph to avoid negative values on DS ERCs, and that part went alright. When I went to hook it up with the original ERC to give it a -1 to 1 range, DS crashed again. Basically everything I have tried either cannot be saved, or it crashes DS.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Aha! I have figured out why Paul's suggestion did work. Converting to Triax to fix the morphs, and use these to replace the existing ones won't work because legacy and Triax morphs use different file formats. It was misleading at first because the file extension (DSF) is still the same, but one is binary (proprietary) and the other is plain text (JSON standard). One cannot be used to replace the other. This is rather surprising, because when we save the figure as DUF, we would expect the morphs to follow the new standards, but instead they are saved in the old format. This mixture of new and old file formats is what makes it impossible to save morph changes, because a "Morph Asset" in DS4 can only be in JSON format. This is messed up.

I have also tried exporting a fixed CR2 from DS, but it gives me errors, claiming it doesn't find the OBZ file, while I didn't save it as compressed, so there is no way to make it find it. When I load the figure back, it doesn't show on scene.

On the bright side, I've managed to keep trying to create the negative range ERC and at some point it didn't crash DS. I didn't do anything different, it just didn't crash DS that time - but then there was no way to save the changes. I have searched online, and found other people who had a similar situation with non-TriAx content where they couldn't save any morph changes - so this isn't new.

The bottom line is that saving the head in the new DUF format won't save the morphs in the new JSON format. That's why changes cannot be saved.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
what a mess. Sorry Ken. I guess the Poser users get the gold again! *sigh*

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
"It wouldn't worry me if it didn't work the same in DS as long as it looked almost as good" she says in a soft whisper before running away :D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The head looks the same in DS, and 99% of the features are fully working. The problem is with the ERCs that didn't migrate to DS, and cause some pokethrus that can be compensated manually if needed. For example, this "Eyes Width" morph I have been trying to adjust causes eye ball pokethru when dialed to -1, but we can just fix the eyes by X-scaling them down. This is easily fixable with an ERC, but then we cannot save the changes as seen above. At least now I know why.

It's fine with me, but the problem will be with the general public, who will not be so forgiving. It would be like releasing a half-baked product.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So if I buy the Poser version will you throw in the DS version? :D (half-baked would be better than me trying to do it from scratch :p hehehe)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
So if I buy the Poser version will you throw in the DS version? :D (half-baked would be better than me trying to do it from scratch :p hehehe)

Sure. :)

Please note that "half-baked" means how I have been using it personally for the last 2 years. I don't mind the little things, but the beta-testers caught them.

Last edited:

akuei2

Inspired
Sure. :)

Please note that "half-baked" means how I have been using it personally for the last 2 years. I don't mind the little things, but the beta-testers caught them.
Ken, currently what I heard, is 0.1% fail block the 99.9% done works?
it's far enough for me.I already prepare part of piggy's bank for you( pig's head )
if Public sell can't go through, under table sell I also support you !(physically)
You are great done in anyway. At lease, I got what I want for universal anime head.
:roflmao:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@akuei2 Thank you for the support! :D The pokethru issues are all manageable with the available dials, and there aren't many indeed. Some of the beta-testers didn't even notice them at first. It's frustrating that such small details are keeping me from making this a full release. I am willing to give the DS version to anyone who buys the Poser version, as long as they are aware and accept the current state. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The head looks the same in DS, and 99% of the features are fully working. The problem is with the ERCs that didn't migrate to DS, and cause some pokethrus that can be compensated manually if needed. For example, this "Eyes Width" morph I have been trying to adjust causes eye ball pokethru when dialed to -1, but we can just fix the eyes by X-scaling them down. This is easily fixable with an ERC, but then we cannot save the changes as seen above. At least now I know why.

It's fine with me, but the problem will be with the general public, who will not be so forgiving. It would be like releasing a half-baked product.
If I understand what you have posted here correctly you can manually fix the problem. Couldn't you create a preset to do the same?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If there were presets for each missing ERCs, how would people know when and where to use them?