• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Universal Anime Head

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm home finally.

Did you try to export it using one of these save options?

There is another option too under the Save As> Support Asset > Save Modified Assets.

ScreenHunter_233 Jul. 30 22.57.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Also, helper's shouldn't get unhooked when saving out as TriAx if you perhaps uncheck the "Override Existing" under the Morph Targets option... Worth a try...

TransferUtility02.JPG

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, I've tried that yesterday. Saving the head only saves the morphs the 1st time. Afterwards, only the head is saved, even if I delete all morphs from the data folder. I have tried deleting the data files before and after fixing the morph. If before, I get an error message that DS can't find it. If after, the morph doesn't get saved with the head. There must be another way.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I'm home finally.

Did you try to export it using one of these save options?

There is another option too under the Save As> Support Asset > Save Modified Assets.

I have looked at those "deprecated" export options, but found none that refers to morphs. That "Save Modified Assets" sounds promising, though. I will give it a try. Let's hope it's not only for TriAx. ^^

Also, helper's shouldn't get unhooked when saving out as TriAx if you perhaps uncheck the "Override Existing" under the Morph Targets option... Worth a try...

The head is being loaded directly as a CR2 from Poser Formats. This works because the head doesn't use any weight maps, which makes it compatible with DS at native mode. First time I save the head, DS populates the data folder with all existing morphs, and everything works, including the ERC master dials. The problem is when I need to edit a morph, I've found no way to save individual morphs, and resaving the head no longer saves any morphs.

I am not using the Transfer Utility because it messes up all the morphs - same results as converting the head to TriAx, and I also loose all the morph groups, and range limits. But if I get this right, "override existing" wouldn't affect anything if I loaded the OBJ and transferred the morphs from the Poser version, since bare OBJs have no morphs to start with - there would be nothing to override.

Conversely, if I use the Transfer Utility to copy only the fixed Poser morphs to the DS version, if I disable "override existing", I guess the whole thing would do nothing, since the morph already exists with the same name, and I would be telling DS not to touch it, right? I will have to check that, but in my previous experiences, the Transfer Utility doesn't work with Poser master dial hook ups.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, my only other suggestion would be to save the head as a scene file with all the updated morphs loaded. You may have to include the OBJ's in a specified folder in case DAZ needs to read those when loading the Scene file. If this works you will have to include in the ReadMe to tell the end user to right click on the file and "Merge Into Scene" option to have that work if they already have a full scene set up already!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Had another bizarre idea... Convert the head to TriAx, what ever morphs survive, survive. Save that out as a proper figure/prop file in .duf format. Then LOAD that into the scene, it will probably come in as Anime Head 02 since you already have the cr2 in the scene. Use the Transfer Utility to transfer all the morphs from AH01 to AH02 and see if you have luck with that....

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, my only other suggestion would be to save the head as a scene file with all the updated morphs loaded. You may have to include the OBJ's in a specified folder in case DAZ needs to read those when loading the Scene file. If this works you will have to include in the ReadMe to tell the end user to right click on the file and "Merge Into Scene" option to have that work if they already have a full scene set up already!

Sorry if I wasn't clear about how the DS version is. The figure is in the library in native DUF format, with native morphs in the data folder - it's not a CR2 in DS. It's also converted to SubD and by default comes high-res as any other modern figure. The only thing I cannot do is convert it to TriAx, for them the ERCs get unhooked and half the functionality is lost - can't even pose the eyes anymore. The head doesn't use any weight maps, so the conversion would be pointless anyway.

Maybe this is just the way it is. DS can import all morphs to native format ONLY when the CR2 is converted the 1st time. Whatever morphs changes I do afterwards cannot be saved. Or maybe there is a way, but we just don't know what it is.

Had another bizarre idea... Convert the head to TriAx, what ever morphs survive, survive. Save that out as a proper figure/prop file in .duf format. Then LOAD that into the scene, it will probably come in as Anime Head 02 since you already have the cr2 in the scene. Use the Transfer Utility to transfer all the morphs from AH01 to AH02 and see if you have luck with that....

From previous experience, the problem with the Transfer Utility is that it will [by default] ignore and remove all ERC's created in Poser as master dials. Just last month I did a commission job involving Gen2F where this exact thing has happened. So TriAx conversions unhooks master dial ERCs, and the Transfer Utility ignores them completely. Not to mention it will also remove all morph groups and range limits when we are talking about over 110 morphs here. Sounds like a price too high to pay when everything else is already working and all I need is to correct a few morphs.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well I'm out of ideas for now. As suggested you may want to take this conversation to the DAZ forums and see if one of the DAZ Studio users that knows about such things can help you out. I know it's frustrating as hell. Wish I was more helpful! :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the help! I am contacting a vendor from Belgium with some good DS knowledge, and I am also hoping Paul will reply to my email about this.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, I've tried that yesterday. Saving the head only saves the morphs the 1st time. Afterwards, only the head is saved, even if I delete all morphs from the data folder. I have tried deleting the data files before and after fixing the morph. If before, I get an error message that DS can't find it. If after, the morph doesn't get saved with the head. There must be another way.
Ken, I'm wondering if there is a problem with your settings when you save? This doesn't make sense to me. If there are morphs in the object and you save it the morphs should save also. Have you tried saving it with a different name? I know that in the past removing the old data before resaving it has fixed any problems I've had when altering morphs that had already been saved. Is it possible that you missed removing some of the old morphs? I think you might be missing something in the process but without looking at the head myself can't offer more than this.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have been talking to other vendors, and looks like this is it. Chances are that saving the figure only saves the morphs the very first time DS has converted the CR2 to DUF, and then never more. I suppose they didn't foresee someone would NOT convert a figure to TriAx before saving. In most cases it would make sense, but this is just a head without a body. It doesn't have any weight maps, so TriAx would be pointless. This is not a normal situation, since this a very different kind of product. If I convert to TriAx, then it does as you say, but then I can wave my master dial ERCs goodbye.

The current dilemma is that saving the head does NOT save any morphs. If I convert to triAx, it will mess up my master dial ERC hook ups. If I don't, I cannot save individual edited morphs. Paul has send me a suggestion that might work. I have to give it a try and see what happens. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Knowing Paul's genius with character creation and such, I'm betting it will work out well. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Asked for you on the DAZ forums. Richard H suggests just keeping the CR2 as is but making native DAZ Studio materials for 3Delight and iRay. That really is an acceptable solution Ken if all else fails.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for calling out for me, Rich! Keeping the CR2 will not resolve the main issue - there are morphs that need adjustment in DS because they have a different result than in Poser. Some morphs are combinations with ERCs, and DS doesn't process them correctly. It's rather easy to fix in DS itself, by adjusting the dials and freezing ERC, but then HOW do I save that to a CR2? Poser and DS don't understand each others master dial ERCs. Just like Poser weight maps and DS Triax, they work exactly the same but are utterly incompatible with each other.

I've noticed DS recognizes and even copies Poser master dial ERC keys into native DSF morphs, but then it unhooks them all, so they have no effect. It's the equivalent of having all the master dials on BODY, but they are not hooked to anything. I could almost tell DAZ3D did this on purpose to force vendors to switch programs, which would come to no surprise considering all the bickering between these two.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ok, I have tried Pauls's suggestion, and DS crashes when I hook-up the ERC, which was just the first half of the process. It works in Poser, but in DS it crashes the program the moment I freeze the ERC. Darn. :\