• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Volume 7 was also a flashback, and its illos have already been posted. As has the frontispiece of volume 9.

Volume 8 covers the progress of the 2nd Wizarding War. It's frontispiece depicts Amanda Tyler, a member of MI5 who is the Muggle liaison with the Slytherin Brothers. She was out for her daily early morning run, when she got a very inconvenient phone call informing her that wizarding Britain had just declared itself at war.

Circle-8.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Have been watching reruns of the Star Trek TNG TV series, and I was wondering how hard it would be to model the TNG badge. The golden base was made with traditional box modeling in 3DSMAX, but the Trekie triangle was easier to extrude out of a spline shape. Spline modeling makes more complex shapes faster to create, but generates horrible topology. In this piece, the back is flat, but the front is curved, so I had to spend time retopologizing the silver part. That was the most challenging part. :)

ST_TNG_Badge.gif

Next came the ST Voyager badge. It appeared to be easier at first, but the hard edges have proven to be the real challenge, since Poser doesn't respect creased edges. Here again, Trekie triangle was made out of an extruded spline shape, which had to be retopologized the hard way. Made some mistakes and had to redo it several times because I kept forgetting Poser doesn't respect creased edges. Paid less attention to the back side on this one, so there are some artifacts.

ST_Voyager_Badge.gif

Good hard surface modeling exercise - something we don't do much for Poser. ^___^

Stezza

Dances with Bees
currently listening to my Echo Dot and Skyhooks...

this song came up... it's not a dirty word ...
yes

modelled the terrain & flying pyramid ship used the text tool and LoRenzo no postwork done except for sig.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
currently listening to my Echo Dot and Skyhooks...

this song came up... it's not a dirty word ...
yes
Have you posted that video before Stezza, because I know I've seen it, and that's not a group whose videos I would watch without someone pointing me to it?

BTW, that's a great render. ;)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Have you posted that video before Stezza, because I know I've seen it, and that's not a group whose videos I would watch without someone pointing me to it?

BTW, that's a great render. ;)
Thanks Miss B

I have no idea lol
though anything is possible

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Have been watching reruns of the Star Trek TNG TV series, and I was wondering how hard it would be to model the TNG badge. The golden base was made with traditional box modeling in 3DSMAX, but the Trekie triangle was easier to extrude out of a spline shape. Spline modeling makes more complex shapes faster to create, but generates horrible topology. In this piece, the back is flat, but the front is curved, so I had to spend time retopologizing the silver part. That was the most challenging part. :)

Next came the ST Voyager badge. It appeared to be easier at first, but the hard edges have proven to be the real challenge, since Poser doesn't respect creased edges. Here again, Trekie triangle was made out of an extruded spline shape, which had to be retopologized the hard way. Made some mistakes and had to redo it several times because I kept forgetting Poser doesn't respect creased edges. Paid less attention to the back side on this one, so there are some artifacts.

Good hard surface modeling exercise - something we don't do much for Poser. ^___^
great badges Ken,

I had a go in Carrara, used the polyline tool for the shape and then just went from there.. might try do Voyager one now :alien: :cool:

TNG.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
great badges Ken,

I had a go in Carrara, used the polyline tool for the shape and then just went from there.. might try do Voyager one now :alien: :cool:

Looks good, Stezza! I used splines as well, but it requires complete retopo after extruding the shape. Made one last badge, this time for the ST Picard TV series. It's not very interesting visually, but it's the newest, and I was needing some hard surface modeling practice. :D

ST_Picard_Badge.gif

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
same procedure in Carrara started with a poly line

Looks good! I wonder if this poly line is the same as 3DSMAX's spline tool? I can get the exact shape I want from splines, but it cannot generate the inner topology. It makes a single n-gon with no topology. That's Ok with flat surfaces, but bad for curved ones.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Looks good! I wonder if this poly line is the same as 3DSMAX's spline tool? I can get the exact shape I want from splines, but it cannot generate the inner topology. It makes a single n-gon with no topology. That's Ok with flat surfaces, but bad for curved ones.

I don't know, but Carrara does have a spline tool but I don't use that.

The poly line tool I just trace around the outer shape of the badge then duplicate it and shrink it for the inner edge then bridge both of them. Then I'll extract the outer polyline and then fill that and add the polys.. I've been doing it whilst watching the cricket so nt sure how long it takes but it's not long.

Trekkies.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
My issue is filling up the spline shape with polys in 3DSMAX - especially when it has holes, or is concave, like in ALL of these badges. With splines I get the exact shape, but it's all a single poly that needs retopo.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Blender works for this. Filling in splines. Grid Fill works quite well but it can have occasional issues. When that happens Beautify Faces changes the quads to tris to solve most issues. Fill just gives the single n-gon. Very useful tool.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Blender works for this. Filling in splines. Grid Fill works quite well but it can have occasional issues. When that happens Beautify Faces changes the quads to tris to solve most issues. Fill just gives the single n-gon. Very useful tool.

Thanks for the info, Parkdale! Can it handle spline shapes with holes, and concave shapes?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
As a forever Trek fan, I lve these Comm badge models! Thanks Stezza and Ken.

Me too! I have the TNG and the Voyager comm badges, and I've used them as reference for modeling them in 3D, trying to include all the little details. I don't have the ST Picard badge, so I have used a photo, not knowing what it looks like on the other side. It was great for practicing hard surface modeling. ^____^

and if Australia had a StarShip
it'd be a wacky StarShip Sydney

Haha you always crack me up, great job! :D

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Thanks for the info, Parkdale! Can it handle spline shapes with holes, and concave shapes?
No issues with concave at all. Never tried holes. Just gave it a quick go and the simple Grid Fill command seems to not respect the the hole edge but it might be the test. I'll have to check into this more, but if Blender can change SVG images into a quad mesh without issue; I am willing to bet it will.