• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I agree about Norman Rockwell. I always enjoyed seeing his artwork, as it always reflected every day life.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well, If I had moved to Marin County, I wouldn't have met my wife and soulmate or moved into my house and started that amazing garden that propel me into a strong love of native plants and birds, so I'm 110% okay with my choices :)
Good answer! :)

So what about those chickens?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Funny story about that... I think it was around 5 years ago, our place became the staging ground for attending the Siggraph convention. We had Chris Creek, Paul Lessard, Mr & Mrs Nerd3d and Ryverthorn all staying with us for 3-5 days. At the end of the stay one of them posted in the forums, "We stayed at Ken's and all he did was feed us bird".

I do eat some chicken, turkey and occasionally duck and pheasant, but won't touch quail or squab (those are my children). The "Dude" (my "rescue" pigeon) coos in relief ;)

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Funny story about that... I think it was around 5 years ago, our place became the staging ground for attending the Siggraph convention. We had Chris Creek, Paul Lessard, Mr & Mrs Nerd3d and Ryverthorn all staying with us for 3-5 days. At the end of the stay one of them posted in the forums, "We stayed at Ken's and all he did was feed us bird".

I do eat some chicken, turkey and occasionally duck and pheasant, but won't touch quail or squab (those are my children). The "Dude" (my "rescue" pigeon) coos in relief ;)
I posted it because I saw you once on a picture grilling "birds" :p , probably from the same time you mentioned.
Ducks baked in apples , Pheasants and Forest Pigeons bulions are gone from my list , I grew up on those . Now only chicken and once a year maybe turkey .
I must admit I did tasted Ostrich once from a local farm from curiosity, it was delicious ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There was a fad for ostrich back a decade or two ago. Someone got the bright idea of raising them as an investment scheme. I tried it once. Wasn't particularly impressed.

Otoh, one year I had a holiday dinner with a friend down at Napa Rose, in the Grand Californian Hotel, something that I ordered included bits of smoked pheasant. Now that was rather impressive, but I'm not paying that kind of prices with any frequency.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'm busily working through the Cool and Unusual Birds v2 update...

Here's the revised the Painted Bunting, Fork-tailed Flycatcher and 'Akohekohe. The differences may not appear that huge from this example but they are significant. There's major shape adjustments and marking corrections as well as enhancing some "muddy" textures. The Painted Bunting now gets his mate (keeping my practice of adding dimorphic females that weren't included originally to the updates). Shown also is the Fork-tailed Flycatcher female (the included males tail is 50% longer than the female)

cu2examples.png

Stezza

Dances with Bees
There was a fad for ostrich back a decade or two ago. Someone got the bright idea of raising them as an investment scheme. I tried it once. Wasn't particularly impressed.

Otoh, one year I had a holiday dinner with a friend down at Napa Rose, in the Grand Californian Hotel, something that I ordered included bits of smoked pheasant. Now that was rather impressive, but I'm not paying that kind of prices with any frequency.

a fella down the road was breeding three legged chooks to sell to KFC ... I thought that was a bright idea and so did he when I asked him about it..

then I asked how good did it work out, he said not very good, I couldn't catch them! :eek:

Harimau

Eager
I have tried both ostrich and emu. I don't like the taste of ostrich but quite like the emu - a dark and lean piece of meat.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
No surprise here... Elsa, our Lesser Citron Cockatoo, can open to two latches on her cage in under 30 seconds. We've had to padlock her in if we leave the house. When she's out and sees the key, she does put it in the padlock key hole.

Klaus Sauer

Admirable
Hi Ken, I 'stumbled' across a picture today and thought to myself that this might also be an idea for a Songbird product someday in the future and completely out of the usual series: mechanical birds.

Some people will probably express negatives anyway, because that's not your style, etc. For this reason, please really consider this proposal only as a not quite serious idea. It's just something different.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hi Ken, I 'stumbled' across a picture today and thought to myself that this might also be an idea for a Songbird product someday in the future and completely out of the usual series: mechanical birds.

Some people will probably express negatives anyway, because that's not your style, etc. For this reason, please really consider this proposal only as a not quite serious idea. It's just something different.

I love that! So cool. I sorta of remember a mechanical owl from somewhere.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A mechanical type bird would require a specifically built model since the joints would not do organic bending and look horrible when done that way (I tried once). I've thought about trying to improve the Stymphalian Bird when I rework Bird of Legend, maybe making it part-mechanical. Time will tell...