• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Klaus Sauer

Admirable
Renderosity still has their store-wide 50% sale on for some reason-- maybe its been extended again or somebody forgot to turn it off. When it does finally end, you'll still find that my store will have some items on sale until July 24th at 30% off. I scheduled an Australian bird sale to help introduce lyrebirds. The Lyrebird set plus the updates of Australia v1-2, Art Treasures from the Bowerbird Collection, as well the the Australian hawks mini-set, Kiwis and the Kiwi burrow will be featured.

So it looks like I need to buy all the sets again from Rendo, when I want to work with the updated versions (which is a shame, but not your fault). I love the Lyrebird very much, but the australian one looks a little pale in opposite to his relatives from Malaysia or Papua New Guinea

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So it looks like I need to buy all the sets again from Rendo, when I want to work with the updated versions (which is a shame, but not your fault). I love the Lyrebird very much, but the australian one looks a little pale in opposite to his relatives from Malaysia or Papua New Guinea
Renderosity is "still" working on a solution to the transfers. I guess it comes down to an individual choice on how long you are willing to wait for them to sort it out.

With the lyrebirds, I have all the species and subspecies included. So yes, the darker Race victoriae is included.

Albert's Lyrebird m/f (extreme SE Queensland and extreme NE New South Wales, in E Australia). It is different from the Superb Lyrebird in being significantly smaller in size, with more rufous plumage and simpler lyrates (outer tail feathers).
Superb Lyrebird m/f in three subspecies:
-Race novaehollandiae. The nominate species is found in southeastern New South Wales from the Hunter river southward (on and east of the Great Dividing Range) to the Victoria border (east of the Monaro Tablelands).
-Race edwardi. It is found in extreme SE Queensland (Stanthorpe–Killarney region) and northeastern New South Wales (south, on and east of the Great Dividing Range, to the Hunter river). It is generally lighter and grayer than the nominate race and the lyrates slightly less curved.
-Race victoriae. It is endemic to the Australian Capital Territory (Brindabella Range) and extreme southeastern New South Wales west of the Monaro Tablelands south to eastern Victoria (southward to the Dandenong–Strathbogie Ranges and to the northeastern coast). Its head, neck and mantle are darker. The wings are slightly darker and the yellowish eye-ring is more pronounced.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'll be doing a "free" webinar on July 17th (1pm PST) called "Digital Nature" via Zoom. My 90 minute talk will include my background, art and life as a freelance artist plus focuses on my approaches to 3D digital bird-making, a general overview of techniques and a crash course in composition and marketing.

Digital Nature : 3D Birdman Ken Gilliland | Digital Art Live

Paul at Digital Art Live has asked me also to do a in-depth class for advanced users/vendors that will probably be 4 sessions a week apart later this summer. In the class, I will be showing my techniques for updating ancient products (10-20 year old sets) to be it up to today's expectations and regenerating their shelf lives. This set of classes will be for a fee.

• Identifying areas for improvements on the old model.
  • Editing the geometry, correcting errors and refining areas.
  • The retrofitting the rig and salvaging morphs.
  • A crash course in automated and hand coding
  • UVs and reworking textures
  • Importing a product between platforms; Poser and DAZ Studio

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Great news... I received this email from Audubon California today regarding the Tri-colored Blackbird.

As most of you know, my annual Audubon's Birthday donates a sizeable portion of its proceeds to help save the Tri-colored Blackbird from extinction. At least this year, we appear to be winning that battle, so I'm thankful to all of you who participated in the sale and helped me save those birds.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Sorry
Have not been here in awhile. I had question Ken and could not remember how to do so w/o using the reply button.
I forgot i had the SONGBIRD REMIX set from DAZ a lifetime aglo. Does that base set still work with all the new works you have done since and are available on 'Rosity?
First of all, the original "Songbird ReMix" and "Songbird ReMix 2" sets stopped being a required base set around 2006. DAZ customer service asked me if I'll make everything standalone because too many customers were confused what they actually needed, so I did that for the entire series, including the original and SBRM2 set.

The original Songbird ReMix set was updated at the start of the 2021 and SBRM2 (aka Second Edition) will be updated by the end of this month.
As with all my updates of my older products, it is almost completely redone.

As far as getting updates, it's a little complicated...

All HW store purchases are supposed to be in process of be transferred to Renderosity-- they've been promising to do that for 6 months now. I've been assured it will eventually happen.

I still do the "DAZ to..." transfers although its a lot more complicated and time-comsuming to transfer to Renderosity (I have to "Gift" them and then ask for a refund for buying my own stuff). For those transfers, I need DAZ proof-of-purchase (such as a screen shot from your account page) and your Renderosity username.

barbult

Inspired
Ken, for Daz bird purchases that you already transferred to Hivewire, do we have to wait for them to appear at Renderosity to get new updates?

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ken, for Daz bird purchases that you already transferred to Hivewire, do we have to wait for them to appear at Renderosity to get new updates?

...for now, the answer is yes. I still hold hope that Renderosity will figure out how to do the HW transfers.

To make this really clear, for me to do customer transfers from DAZ (or HW) to Renderosity is time-consuming. I have to "GIFT" every item, one at a time, to a specific Renderosity username (which it has to search for every time) to my cart. No, I can't simply fill a cart with a customer transfers and then say it goes to .... Once I've filled the cart, I leave it, email the Renderosity admin. A couple days later, they go into my account, look at the full cart, process the "Gift" orders (charging me for it), and then reimburse me for the "gifts".

Yes, it's a PITA

As we come closer to next year, if they still haven't figured it out how to automatically do the transfers, I'll start accepting HW-to-Renderosity Transfer requests and doing them in batches, as time permits.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In more cheery news, the update to Songbird ReMix Second Edition (aka SBRM2) has now moved to "beta" status. It's a huge update. The original set had 8 bird species (12 in all) and 1 hummingbird feeder prop. The update has 9 species (12 additional birds) as well as the hummingbird feeder, a thistle sock and a "Don't feed the Pigeons" sign.

Gamebirds (Order Galliformes)
* California Quail (m/f)

Hummingbirds and Swifts (Order Apodiformes) (females now included)
* Anna's Hummingbird (m/f)
* Ruby-throated Hummingbird (m/f)

Kingfishers (Order Coraciiformes) (females now included as well as the minor race of the Laughing Kookaburra)
* Blue-winged Kookaburra (m/f in both the nominate and occidentalis races)
* Laughing Kookaburra (m/f in both the nominate and minor races)

Parrots and Cockatoos (Order Psittaciformes)
* Yellow-crested Cockatoo (Race citrinocristata: Lesser Citron-Crested Cockatoo)

Perching Birds (Order Passerines)
Crows, Jays and their Allies
* Common Raven

Perching Birds (Order Passerines)
Finches, Old World Sparrows & their Allies (new birds to the set)
* Lesser Goldfinch (m/f in both the nominate and hesperophilus races)

Pigeons and Doves (Order Columbiformes) (1 more variety of Pigeon)
* Rock Pigeon (5 Variants)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, I hope the webinar went well.

I picked up the free ticket, but then got involved in a tricky bit of typesetting, and when I looked up it was 2:00.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure which thread mentioned your class today on Digital Live today so I'll post to this one. Like seeing the man behind the curtain! You have inspired me to work on the animations for your products more.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well, I hope the webinar went well.
I picked up the free ticket, but then got involved in a tricky bit of typesetting, and when I looked up it was 2:00.

I was told it went well by the moderator... especially the front part which I tried to sum up a lifetime of art in about 40 minutes. I showed a lot of my other imagery (non-digital) that probably surprised a few of my fans. I'm not much of a speaker so I was pretty much terrified through the whole thing.

I forgot to talk about the job I was offered mid-way through college... so I'll mention it here so you'll feel like you sort of attended it ;)

A recruiter asked the art professors at CSUN who their top students were and I came up on the list. I met with the recruiter and listen to his pitch. It sounded like a huge opportunity,... but it was a brand new company, it would require me to move to Northern California and I had to effectively drop out of college. I told him that it was really important to me to finish college and get my degree so I had to decline. A year later, that "new" company was all over the headlines... Industrial Light and Magic. Yes, I could have worked on "Empire Strikes Back" but chose to graduate instead and have a framed college degree collecting dust on the wall.

I'm not sure which thread mentioned your class today on Digital Live today so I'll post to this one. Like seeing the man behind the curtain! You have inspired me to work on the animations for your products more.
thank-you for attending and actually sitting all the way through my ramblings ;)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Awwwww - well you got your degree so that's' something. Are you happy with the choice you made?

I came in during the last hour so I bought a premium ticket so I'll get a recording and catch up on what I missed. From what I saw you did great! You didn't seem nervous at all. Just a smart, educated guy sharing his knowledge.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so didn't buy a ticket, otherwise I would've been there in the front row. ;)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Awwwww - well you got your degree so that's' something. Are you happy with the choice you made?

I came in during the last hour so I bought a premium ticket so I'll get a recording and catch up on what I missed. From what I saw you did great! You didn't seem nervous at all. Just a smart, educated guy sharing his knowledge.
Well, If I had moved to Marin County, I wouldn't have met my wife and soulmate or moved into my house and started that amazing garden that propel me into a strong love of native plants and birds, so I'm 110% okay with my choices :)

I think you can only do that if you purchased the not Free ticket. I didn't purchase any ticket because I knew I wouldn't be home to participate.

Yes, I believe there's supposed to be a recording of the webinar that included in the premium ticket along with my Lyrebirds and Woodpeckers v2.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Another thing I forgot/didn't have time to talk about was my general philosophies as an artist. I had planned to talk about little about my favorite artists (Van Gogh, JS Sargent and N Rockwell) and, in particular, a quote attributed to Sargent...

"Talent counts for much, but effort counts for more"

The reason for mentioning that quote is that some of my work, and watching me do it, may look easy but there's years of training, practice and hard work behind it... the talent part just means I had some natural ability to start with. There's just no way I can squeeze hours of hard work into a 15 minute demo.

Sometimes, I finish a piece and have no clue how I did it, generally my mind is somewhere else when doing it. The more I tend to think about doing the work, the more labored it is.

I think it is all muscle memory, sort of like how athletes do their jobs. And yes, it is hard to teach that other than saying practice, practice, practice...

It's also a swagging amount of confidence. Plainly said, I'm not afraid to put down a mark with my pencil or paintbrush (because I know all that practice will fix whatever goofs I make). Again, I can't teach someone how to have that amount of confidence because everybody's paths to that are different.