• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser License Manager

Steve.M

Enthusiast
I don't know exactly how often Poser 11 calls home.

Probably every time it is launced.
The first release from bondware had a text file with changes that included:-
Massive revamp of license management system to support offline-lease/grace-time (default 7 days after successful license check)
I have not seen any info to suggest that has changed.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Does that mean once a week? My test mentioned above proves it is not every time, and I find this much more reasonable. I have video games purchased from Steam that will simply QUIT immediately, without notice, if you loose connection at ANY time. That is a prime example of unreasonable punishment of paying customers, since playing a single-player game does not require being online in the first place. We have no saying on that, but Rendo has made it easier for us when it comes to Poser. Nonetheless, I remember SMS removing the requirement to call home every launch. I know because I was in the beta team. I just don't recall how they've changed it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Probably every time it is launced.
The first release from bondware had a text file with changes that included:-

I have not seen any info to suggest that has changed.

On a 2nd thought, I guess this means it does call home on every launch, but will allow up to 7 days in case there is no connection. It seems like this should be good enough for most people.

Hornet3d

Wise
The problem that it is still a limitation to some users and seems to penalise the paying customers. It is the same with Vue these days but I sort of understand that as it is a subscription unless you want to throw vast amounts of money at it. It also makes the competition look a little bit more friendly to some as, being free, there is not need for a deactivation feature.

Kerya

Brilliant
People who tested it found out it calls home every 9 days. SM had it set to once a month. What the new Poser 12 will do? Who knows? Probably only Bondware.

I am a happy owner of PP2014 (NOT GameDev) ...

Hornet3d

Wise
People who tested it found out it calls home every 9 days. SM had it set to once a month. What the new Poser 12 will do? Who knows? Probably only Bondware.

I love using Superfly hence Poser 11 but I have always kept a copy of PP2014 on my computer as a form of backup. I would lose Superfly and some of the other frills but at least I could get a version of Poser running without the deactivation feature.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Due to the lease and that my main PC is not networked, I will give P12 a miss. (I still have P11 running OK, so can play with that if I want)

I am curious if the P12 implimentation of Cycles will include openCL for rendering (AMD cards)

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I had Poser 2014 Game Dev, I had set permanent activation on one workstation, and now it refuses to work because it can't verify my license. Gor reasons like this I am against license managers and needing to phone home after activation. SM lied to all Poser customers outright and I wish Bondware would learn from the fallout from that and abandon the license manager.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is a never-ending issue. Companies spend time and money creating anti-piracy mechanisms that never work, but still punish legit customers. DeNuvo DRM was the most expensive anti-piracy method, and here again, it is not stopping piracy, but do make products that use it suffer from the performance impact it causes, and it also adds to the product price. The only people being affected are, again, legit customers.

Hornet3d

Wise
I had Poser 2014 Game Dev, I had set permanent activation on one workstation, and now it refuses to work because it can't verify my license. Gor reasons like this I am against license managers and needing to phone home after activation. SM lied to all Poser customers outright and I wish Bondware would learn from the fallout from that and abandon the license manager.

SM slipped the deactivation feature into Game Dev and then lied outright to customers and sadly that is at least part of the cause of the hostility that Bondware is having to deal with.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
SM slipped the deactivation feature into Game Dev and then lied outright to customers and sadly that is at least part of the cause of the hostility that Bondware is having to deal with.
Additionally SM told customers they could opt for "Permanent License" on one machine and it would never deactivate. SM Further repeatedly told customers, and even posted in writing on various online Poser documents that there was a "Contingency Plan" if Smith Micro ever sold the rights or went out of business so that "Your copy of Poser will still work". Both of these claims have now been proven to be lies.

These were very hot topics when they initially happened with the release of game Dev over a Holiday Week when no ones copy worked and tech support could not be reached until the new year. There were multiple lengthy threads at RuntimeDNA on this, and many were becoming very hostile. I was accused of being a Poser Basher because I was up in arms over my copy of Poser being unable to activate for nearly 2 weeks. There were also numerous threads on the official Smith Micro forums until one of the mods started deleting them to "Clean up the Community". As those who know me know I love Poser itself, and feel it has a lot of untapped uses and potential.

While all of this seems like the past, Unfortunately the fallout from SM poor implementation and handling of the license manager is causing stress for Bondware now. Bondware is wrongly being blamed by many who feel wronged, and others who heard second hand tales (because word spreads). It doesn't help that Bondware has not only left the license manager in the program, but has not been clear about it's exact operation either - which many are equating to the same evasiveness they encountered with SM on the issue.

I am not against anti-piracy measures provided they do not cost me. I have dealt with multiple softwares that either needed a dongle or were linked to Hardware cards over the years. None of these stopped working because the company took down the license manager though - and I am against any form of license management that requires a phone home continually.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm, that explains why I was sure I had a perpetual license for Poser 10 and 11, because SMS told me so, but now everything makes sense. I have no idea what kind of DRM Rendo will use, but chances are it will continue to call home. Your guess is as good as mine.

Kerya

Brilliant
Poser 10 didn't/doesn't need a perpetual license ... it is the non pro equivalent of PP2014.
There was supposed to be one for Poser 11, but people found out that it was only for about one year, not perpetual.

As for continuing the call home thingie, you don't have to guess.

Official answer by Jennblake here:
Does Rendo's Poser 11.2 Allow working offline?

for information's sake...we didn't START The Poser software calling home. That has been in place since Poser Pro 2014. And we intend to continue it. There is a path to extend the time allowed before the software is required to phone home again. But otherwise this is what it is and will not be changing.

As usual they got PP2014 and PP2014GameDev mixed ... but yes, the phoning home will stay.

I am NOT bashing Poser. I have Poser 5, Poser 7, PP2012, PP2014 - which should show that I like it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Poser 10 didn't/doesn't need a perpetual license ... it is the non pro equivalent of PP2014.
There was supposed to be one for Poser 11, but people found out that it was only for about one year, not perpetual.

As usual they got PP2014 and PP2014GameDev mixed ... but yes, the phoning home will stay.

I am NOT bashing Poser. I have Poser 5, Poser 7, PP2012, PP2014 - which should show that I like it.

Well, in fairness, SM did not make that clear at that time, it was only after a few months when those that had upgraded to Game Dev, and were not connected to the Internet on a regular basis, found that Poser had stopped working that the whole scam came to light. Even then it was only a response from tech support, when Poser was reported as not working, did the deactivation feature came to light. They even claimed that it was well documented on the SM web site for Game Dev when in fact all it stated was that an Internet connection was needed for activation. End result was that it was those who were loyal customers who paid for every upgrade who were the ones that were penalised the most, I know I was one of them. It was also the reason I did not update to Poser 11 for about two years, up until then I had always been an early adopter. When I did update to Poser 11 it was only because I managed to pick it up on sale at something like $49 with a tutorial video included.

Having said all that I am not really surprised or even upset that Bondware are keeping the feature, sadly it is the way of the modern world where loyal customers often get the worse deal and those paying good money are rewarded by having to jump through hoops that the pirates do not. It explains why music lovers often find it difficult, or even impossible, to play the music they have paid for on every device they want to. Why Bluetooth functionality is heavily restricted on that expensive new mobile phone and why drivers and house owners who stay with the same company every year pay more than the new customers to the same company. The only real unknown is what companies will do next while the paying public are heavily distracted with a pandemic.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist

That statement is almost a year old, and for Poser 11.2. In the time since Poser users, old and New, have continued to voice their disaproval of the license manager, and many of us will continue to hope Bondware sees the light and changes it. As of now, it is still in Poser 12 from what I understand which means I am out of Poser. I will continue to make content for the figures that work with the versions of Poser I have, but will not be updating. I will not support a license manager software.

Hornet3d

Wise
That statement is almost a year old, and for Poser 11.2. In the time since Poser users, old and New, have continued to voice their disaproval of the license manager, and many of us will continue to hope Bondware sees the light and changes it. As of now, it is still in Poser 12 from what I understand which means I am out of Poser. I will continue to make content for the figures that work with the versions of Poser I have, but will not be updating. I will not support a license manager software.

That is sad but I understand where you are coming from.

Kerya

Brilliant
Oh, I would be willing to pay 20 Dollars for Poser with the calling home "feature" - but not more. 50 Dollars would be too much in my eyes.