• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser fur - Superfly

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
@Me195 -Wow! Definitely good steps in the right direction! I am impressed! (and thanks for the compliment!)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
someone got the clippers out on poor kitty! lol (its starting to look a lot more like fur)

Me195

Extraordinary
@Me195 -Wow! Definitely good steps in the right direction! I am impressed! (and thanks for the compliment!)
Thank you. You're welcome. The compliment for your textures is well deserved. They are fantastic.
WOOT! I'm liking what I'm seeing Me! :D
Thanks Miss B.
someone got the clippers out on poor kitty! lol (its starting to look a lot more like fur)
lol Poor kitty. That gives me an idea for a funny render. Thank you. I just hope I'm capable of completing the shader.

I realized that I need to show an actual render of the fur. The renders I have shown thus far have a lot of grain in them. In addition the default lights in Poser are extremely harsh and they add an oily look.
CatDyn13.jpg

Here is a render with very little grain and with just an HDRI lighting the scene.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Is there a way to make the side of the strands a bit transparent?

Me195

Extraordinary
I believe so. I will have to look into it. I know that there are a lot problems with my simulation settings. The thickness of the longer hairs is about the same as human hair. Making them thinner should also help, but I will try to figure out some better control over the transparency.

Me195

Extraordinary
I think you are on to something. I've been trying to think of a way to further soften the hair aside from the simulation settings. I took your suggestion of the sides being more transparent and altered the shader. It's still rendering, but what I've seen so far looks promising. I'll post the results as soon as the render is done.
Hairshaderv3b.jpg

I've altered the color ramp to make the bottom 3/4 of the hair more transparent. Good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.

Me195

Extraordinary
Cool. I just know my cats' fur looks a lot thinner.
You are absolutely correct.

I decided instead of posting the results of the render using transparency to soften the hair which were only a minor improvement, I should post a render with the hair simulation setting closer to the proper settings.
CatDyn15.jpg

This is with the hair Root Thickness set to 0.1 and the hair Tip is set to 0 which will automatically put it at .000010. I still need to find the proper settings for Clump, Kink, Length Variation, Pull Down, Pull Back, and Pull Side.

I used the latest version of the shader available in my previous post. I did however change the third color on the color ramp from white to black.
Hairshaderv3bc.jpg

It's another step in the right direction. It looks like the basic structure of the shader is done. Now it's just a matter of tweaking the settings in both the shader and the hair room. I'll post an update as I get better results or if any changes are made to the shader.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's starting to look that way too. You should write up a tutorial when you've got it done. ;)

Me195

Extraordinary
Will this be a shader for sale when it's finished? Might be a great product!
I thought about it before I started making the shader, but I think it will better serve the community as a free resource and tutorial. The shader in all forms will be distributable, and there will be no conditions like credit or anything like that. I will also package it like a commercial product to make it user friendly.

Me195

Extraordinary
Can you turn down the number of hairs?
Yes. I am trying to find the proper settings for number of hairs, thickness of hair, clumpiness, kink or waviness, pull back, pull down. Unfortunately it's mostly trial and error. I should have some renders up soon to get feedback on the hair settings.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If you could just make the tip a bit more transparent would be great. Just less spikey.

Me195

Extraordinary
CatDyn16.jpg

Dynamic Short Hair Tabby
Here is the shader in action with better hair settings. I changed the texture to the tabby because the white cat texture was picking up the details of the texture in the transmission. I'll have to make a separate shader for solid light color kitties or figure out how firefly, 3dl and Iray automatically compensate for it. Anyway here is my current progress. The shader seems fine, but the hair room settings still need a lot of work. Even still this render turned out pretty good, so I figured I'd show the progress. Any and all criticism on how the hair looks is welcomed. I am aware of the spot on the bottom of the cat's throat not being covered for some reason. I am looking into why that is. I will keep pressing on and post updates as soon as there is progress.