• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11.2 Update discussion/info

AfroditeOhki

Contributing Artist
For those worried that it'll stop working on the day of the update: you have the 7 days grace period from the SM version to be able to download the new version, and THEN you have 21 days of a free trial from the Bondware version if I understand correctly, in case you have trouble with the actual registration after installing it.

1568668619739.png

I've been using it to avoid having to add and remove my serial number during the early adopter testing period, as I'm reinstalling new versions of Poser almost every day. You'll notice I still have quite some time left. And it's fully featured, just the time limit for the trial.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@AfroditeOhki Thanks for the info! Can I use my existing P10GD and P11 licenses to do the upgrade? Or will I need new licenses from Rendo? Do you know how that works?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Please understand, you only get the free 21 day evaluation after downloading and installing the update.

The current version of P11 does not have this feature, it is being instituted by Bondware/Renderosity with THEIR version of the software.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Ken and AfroditeOhki & Traci - still doesn't make sense to me, with so many people who will be downloading this all the same day...I guess we'll see what happens...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Ken and AfroditeOhki & Traci - still doesn't make sense to me, with so many people who will be downloading this all the same day...I guess we'll see what happens...

At the day when the original Poser 11 was launched, the SMS servers got overwhelmed, and I've got even "Error 404: Page not found" when logging into the SMS web site. This is "normal", or at least expected. The same has happened when iClone 7 was released, where I was getting error messages from the Reallusion servers because they also got swamped with too many connections.

In both cases the solution was to try again the next day. However, if Rendo is offering 8Gb downloads along with Poser 11.2, that might be a problem. It seems like Rendo has a different domain (PoserSoftware.com) to handle the bundled content downloads, though. That might help distributing the more critical traffic when the time comes. In any case, I expect Rendo servers will most likely get swamped.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
@AfroditeOhki Thanks for the info! Can I use my existing P10GD and P11 licenses to do the upgrade? Or will I need new licenses from Rendo? Do you know how that works?

Ken, you use your existing serial number(s).

IF you updated your software from a previous version, you will need the serial number from THAT version AND your P11 serial number.

You can check your current serial number if you do not remember. An upgrade serial number, in the first set of numbers will contain an "UD" designation. In that case, you need BOTH numbers to register your new copy.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ken, you use your existing serial number(s).

IF you updated your software from a previous version, you will need the serial number from THAT version AND your P11 serial number.

You can check your current serial number if you do not remember. An upgrade serial number, in the first set of numbers will contain an "UD" designation. In that case, you need BOTH numbers to register your new copy.

Can you do an update with the new software or is it a reinstall? The reason I ask is I have never had to re-enter the serail number when doing an update but you do need the reactivate if you do an install.
There is no need to guess how it works. I have just done a quick test by blocking all network access (in and out) with my firewall, and then tried to launch PP11 and PP10GD (aka "2014 Game Dev"). The results were: Poser 11 doesn't even launch, and Poser 10 Game Dev instantly deactivated my license until I get online again. In other words, they both call home EVERY TIME you launch them, and not every 6 months as some have believed. This means all Poser versions after 10 will stop working after the 19th because the SMS servers will no longer validate the licenses.

View attachment 51240

That is correct. The home calling only affects versions after Poser 10, which means Poser 10 Pro Game Dev (aka "Poser 2014 Game Dev"), Poser 11, and Poser 11 Pro.

I am not explaining myself very well, the versions of Poser which do a 'phone home' makes an attempt every time it is launch but I believed it did not actually deactivate immediately. My reason for this belief was that the feature was discovered sometime after the launch of Game Dev. The first sign was when a company installed the new Game Dev to a number of computers that were not connected to the internet on a daily basis. Six months down the road the systems started to deactivate. When the company rep reported it toSM tech support they were told that was normal for Game Dev.

Thank you for doing the test it shows my beliefs are not correct and does show we have some little bit of lee way even if Poser does deactivate. Despite that this is clearly not a great start for the new owners due to difficulties which is not really of their making.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It is a complete uninstall/re-install process, Hornet.

The update will require an uninstall to install the new version.

Please, please, please remember to select "Use existing settings" when re-installing to keep your current startup screen, layout, etc.

They should also mention that 3rd Party apps will have to be re-installed. My Netherworks MatWriter Panel and Creator's Toybox had to be re-installed to work properly during beta testing. Have copies of those programs on hand in case you need them.

Hornet3d

Wise
It is a complete uninstall/re-install process, Hornet.

Please, please, please remember to select "Use existing settings" when re-installing to keep your current startup screen, layout, etc.

They should also mention that 3rd Party apps will have to be re-installed. My Netherworks MatWriter Panel and Creator's Toybox had to be re-installed to work properly during beta testing. Have copies of those programs on hand in case you need them.

Thank you once again for the information and the warning about having to reinstall the third party apps, luckily I have them all backed up and I can have them already to go when I update.

As is so often the case your help as been superb, thanks again.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Is that a manual uninstall Tracy, or does the Poser 11.2 installer do the uninstall for you? I've seen software that does that, though they always tell you that's the process for the installation of the new version.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Where i live. In the EU, it's illegal to shut down a program so it doesn't work anymore when you have bought it.
So if my Game Dev stop working then i'll get real pissed. I can change it to the former Pro 2014 but thats not something i want to do.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Is that a manual uninstall Tracy, or does the Poser 11.2 installer do the uninstall for you? I've seen software that does that, though they always tell you that's the process for the installation of the new version.

It's an automatic uninstall. It asks if you want to uninstall, but I have never answered No, so I have no idea what would happen.

Even though this is technically an SR (for sure a MEGA SR) and not a new version of the software, the uninstall is required to pull the SM references hard coded into the program (links to Support, etc.) and replace them with the proper Bondware/Renderosity references.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, that's what I was thinking, as that saves a step (or two). I'm not sure what selecting No would do either, though I suspect it might just stop the installation altogether.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OK, that's what I was thinking, as that saves a step (or two). I'm not sure what selecting No would do either, though I suspect it might just stop the installation altogether.

I agree. I suspect responding No will just halt the installation.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's an automatic uninstall. It asks if you want to uninstall, but I have never answered No, so I have no idea what would happen.

Even though this is technically an SR (for sure a MEGA SR) and not a new version of the software, the uninstall is required to pull the SM references hard coded into the program (links to Support, etc.) and replace them with the proper Bondware/Renderosity references.

Thanks for the information, the reasoning makes sense.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For the record, I have never uninstalled Poser to make an upgrade. I will first try to just overwrite it, if possible.

Miss B

CV-BEE
For the record, I have never uninstalled Poser to make an upgrade. I will first try to just overwrite it, if possible.
Well, my first version of Poser was P5, a cold installation, and I had enough issues with it (though it might have been my old desktop's OS and not P5 itself), that I switched to DS for a good many years. My next version was P9, and eventually PP11, so another 2 cold installations, and because of the gap of versions in between, I never had to deal with "new" owners with an "update". Usually the brand new versions were by the new owners of the software. This time it's a new owner in the middle of an established version of Poser, and as Tracy mentioned, a lot of SM's coding needs to be removed, and replaced with Bondware's coding. That's totally different than just updating a current version by the same owner.

I wouldn't expect just running the installation without uninstalling, if that's even possible, would work correctly. As I mentioned above, I suspect if you click No for uninstalling, it will stop the installation process, at least that's how I would code it to react in this type of situation.

AfroditeOhki

Contributing Artist
It asks if you want to uninstall, but I have never answered No, so I have no idea what would happen.
If you answer no, the installer shuts itself down. It requires an uninstall to be able to install the new version. It will however let you choose if you want to keep your preferences.