• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio Killing Carrara Access

Nod

Adventurous
There's interesting. Tried Carrara last night, after not using it for a few months, and it gave me an error message stating that my Runtime was gone, because I didn't have the latest version of Daz Studio installed!

So, because I don't like DS, I've lost a direct link to all the smart content which I had. Needless to say, that's put me off Daz even more.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry I don't use Carrara. Stezza does and he pops in from time to time so hopefully he will be able to help.

Is there a way to set your preferences so that it can find your runtime?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the Hive Russell! I really agree with you about the smart content tab in Daz...I use categories and I'm a bit cross with Daz as with 4.9 they removed some of the functionality. When you search for new items they now only show up on the individual references and it makes them much harder to find.

Nod

Adventurous
Sorry I don't use Carrara. Stezza does and he pops in from time to time so hopefully he will be able to help.

Is there a way to set your preferences so that it can find your runtime?

Hi there,
Yeah, you can set preferences to add Runtimes. Only they were all deleted when I got this error message saying that I needed to update DS. It even killed off the native Carrara content which I bought from Daz!
I'm going to delete Daz Studio completely, then remove and reinstall Carrara. Daz can take a jump.

SSGBryan

Inspired
One wonders if Daz is going to really support Carrara in any meaningful way.. btw the Smart Content tab isn't just real useful in Daz Studio either..

I wouldn't count on it - Carrara doesn't help sell DS content. Plus they would actually have to hire people who know how to code.

I always found it amusing that Poser weight mapped figures were working in Carrara long before the genesis figures were.

Riccardo

Adventurous
There has been a looooong discussion whether Carrara helps selling content (in the Daz forums). It could actually be more than one expects. Anyway...
Sorry I cannot help with the thread title. I use all Daz applications without smart content.
I try to organize my stuff in multiple specialized runtimes, like, say, WEAPONS, PEOPLE, CREATURES, ANIMALS, VEHICLES and so on. One can choose the preferred way to organize the content.
In this way, I certainly have to add a lot of different runtimes to all my apps, but then I can make them visible in the same or similar way to Carrara, DS3, DS4, Poser...
I'm still experimenting to find a preferred way to organize the runtimes, though ;-)

3DcgX

Admirable
Daz should make Carrara an open source just like blender, if they ain’t gonna work on it, just my two cents.

Reactions: Nod

Hornet3d

Wise
After this amount of time I really cannot see Daz doing anything with Carrara other than continue its slow lingering death and that is a real shame as it has a lot going for it. I can't see them making it open source either as the only reason I can think of for letting it die it to ensure it is not competing with DS, otherwise why not sell it long ago when it was not so long in the tooth. Stezza shows on a regular basis just how good this program can be and the results it can produce, heavens knows what it could do today if the development had continued.

I would still love to use it but my poor brain already struggles with the changes to Poser, the introduction of Superfly and Octane so I don't really have the time to relearn Carrara. I had it loaded on last computer but when I upgraded recently I never even loaded it.

3DcgX

Admirable
After this amount of time I really cannot see Daz doing anything with Carrara other than continue its slow lingering death and that is a real shame as it has a lot going for it. I can't see them making it open source either as the only reason I can think of for letting it die it to ensure it is not competing with DS, otherwise why not sell it long ago when it was not so long in the tooth. Stezza shows on a regular basis just how good this program can be and the results it can produce, heavens knows what it could do today if the development had continued.

I would still love to use it but my poor brain already struggles with the changes to Poser, the introduction of Superfly and Octane so I don't really have the time to relearn Carrara. I had it loaded on last computer but when I upgraded recently I never even loaded it.

All my artwork is done in Carrara. All 3dcgx

3DcgX

Admirable
I would called Carrara my custom software. I like it’s rendering engine for my toons and anime needs .
West meet East
Both are Aiko 3 with Kioki morph

Hornet3d

Wise
I know, as I'm suffering the same fate with Bryce. ~sigh~

Me too, I used that a lot and again it was loaded on my old system but hardly ever used. Then I moved on to Vue and had a subscription for a while but then one of the promised updates failed to appear so I stopped that. Good news is the Vue is looking to come back on track after a revamp, shame the same could not be said for Bryce.

Nod

Adventurous
There's some really nice plug-ins for Carrara. I have Octane, which is lightning fast. Also, there's Fluidos, which is free.
Other than that, I don't see how Daz would see Carrara as a threat to Studio, when you can't really model in studio.

O-Dalek-Test 2.jpg
007.jpg
Daleks1.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
You may well be right it is not a threat to DS but if it isn't then why not sell it and let someone develop it, along with Bryce and Hexagon. I have no axe to grind by the way, it is just a shame to see decent programs fall by the wayside when they have so much going for them.

DanaTA

Distinguished
You may well be right it is not a threat to DS but if it isn't then why not sell it and let someone develop it, along with Bryce and Hexagon. I have no axe to grind by the way, it is just a shame to see decent programs fall by the wayside when they have so much going for them.

Well, they are working on Hexagon, at least. I've read that it's really going well. They've stabilized it and are adding new features, I think. I have it but I won't get the beta. I'll wait until the stable release is out. But I've read good things about it. I'm working on learning modeling in Silo. Working on it. Actually, working on getting back to working on it. ;)

Reactions: Nod