• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've lost the internet twice this week with my computer. My computer insisted everything was ok with the network connection, but I couldn't connect to any websites. Most surprising was that I was able to send an email. or at least, Gmail thought it sent the email. Who knows, it may just have been confused about that. The router and my phone and Fire (wireless) were ok, as was my work laptop (not wireless).

Rebooting the computer restored its connection.

I'm guessing FIOS burped sometime during the night and everything successfully restored their connections, except my computer. Which only thought it did.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had a feeling it might have just been our building, as they've been doing reconstruction in one of the apartments on the third floor where there was a pretty damaging fire during the early summer. I called a friend, who lives down the hall, and she said she was talking to someone who lives not far from here, and it was the whole neighborhood. I can't imagine what a shock that would've been in stores and restaurants, as there are a ton of them just on the other side of the Blvd. from my building.

Terre

Renowned
Whether they lost power or not would depend on which sub-station they are on. Both my home and the store are near the edges of the sections of the town grid they are on and as a result sometimes we won't have power but places just a couple of blocks away will be fine.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, from what I heard today, the whole north of our County got hit, but one of our doormen, who lives in the southern portion of the County, had no blackout at all, but neighborhoods near here, and even 15 minutes away east and west of us, all experienced it.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Overcast day, muggy and very warm here in the Waikato. That pool is looking tempting!

IMG_1163.JPG

Miss B

CV-BEE
That was something big then.
Certainly bigger than I originally thought, though the lights went back on within seconds. It was only my cable set-top box that needed to recycle, and my modem/router that needed to reboot. The modem/router didn't take more than a few minutes. The set-top box took a bit longer, so I got the use of my digital house phones back before I could get back online.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, turns out there was a story about it on CNN's site, so yes, it was a big deal.

Transformer Explosion Turns New York Sky Blue

An explosion at a Con Edison substation caused the New York sky to turn blue. Social media users from across the city posted videos of the eerie light, with some fearing an alien invasion. Despite the eerily glowing color, there was no alien invasion. Instead, the light came as part of an electrical fault that caused an "arc flash," stated a Con Edison spokesman on Friday morning, similar to lightning. There was no fire.

Earlier, the spokesman told CNN that a brief electrical fire occurred after a "couple of transformers tripped offline". The sky was lit up in shades of blue visible as far as Manhattan and New Jersey. The tremors shook buildings and rattled windows, sending people running into the streets.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, turns out there was a story about it on CNN's site, so yes, it was a big deal.

Transformer Explosion Turns New York Sky Blue

An explosion at a Con Edison substation caused the New York sky to turn blue. Social media users from across the city posted videos of the eerie light, with some fearing an alien invasion. Despite the eerily glowing color, there was no alien invasion. Instead, the light came as part of an electrical fault that caused an "arc flash," stated a Con Edison spokesman on Friday morning, similar to lightning. There was no fire.

Earlier, the spokesman told CNN that a brief electrical fire occurred after a "couple of transformers tripped offline". The sky was lit up in shades of blue visible as far as Manhattan and New Jersey. The tremors shook buildings and rattled windows, sending people running into the streets.

That even made the news here in the UK with a clip of the sky turning blue and now I know what someone means when the say a colour is electric blue.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It made the news across the pond? WOW! I suspect, from what I've read, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if the sky hadn't lit up like that. Evidently that doesn't always happen. Considering the lights went back on almost immediately, I didn't think it was such a big deal. Boy was I surprised when I read about it, and saw numerous photos from different locations.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's one heck of an arc flash. They are really lucky that there was no fire to go with it.
True, and if the sky hadn't lit up like that, I would've thought it a momentary thing, though it didn't really last long. It was just my Modem/Router, and the cable Set-Top Box, which took a while to come back. My lights were back on almost immediately.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Goodafternoon, well it is allready down here. We stayed up late because of all the firework last night. No use going to bed with that noise. We thought our dog would be upset because of all the firework but nooooo.
That didn't bother her at all, she did get peeved because the dog from our neighbours down below couldn't hold his own and barked. She decided to let her howl rip and he shut up.
Him being a humongous ridgeback and our girl a mini-dachshund made us laugh though. :D:roflmao:

Hope you all had a great New Year's Eve and wish you all a healthy, wealthy and happy 2019