• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Content Paradise is shutting down

Hornet3d

Wise
I am a Poser user and want for it tit to succeed but I think that DS is doing a little better than just playing rival at present.

Good grief, my keyboard has developed a stutter. Sorry folks only noticed the error after is was too late to edit, please forgive a dotty old fool.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Let's not forget RuntimeDNA. I used to love that place. It had some unique line of products.
I meant in the last month.
I was a tester at RDNA when it went down. I am definitely NOT going to forget them. Or YURdigital either which is a place where I had a store.

Hornet3d

Wise
Looks like CP might be closing even earlier for me, I just went over there and emptied my wish list putting a couple of items in the shopping cart. In checkout I deleted the extended download except it won't delete, I set the number to zero and updated the cart and the extended download is still there. It used to be an option now it looks mandatory, either way I am not paying it so unless this gets fixed I have already made my last purchase.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK sorted it, if you set the extended download to zero and then press continue it is removed. I am sure in the past that if you clicked remove it removed it form the list but then I am old and I confuse easily so perhaps I am mis-remembering. Anyway all the items I wanted are downloaded, just stuff I wanted that might not reappear, so no real reason to go back before it shuts.

D

Deleted member 325

Funny, I'm a vendor at CP, have been since about 2007, and I got no notice at all. Given I was already shutting down my Rosity store and was going to move a few items to CP this just clinches my thoughts on giving up all together.

Hornet3d

Wise
Funny, I'm a vendor at CP, have been since about 2007, and I got no notice at all. Given I was already shutting down my Rosity store and was going to move a few items to CP this just clinches my thoughts on giving up all together.

Which is what I fear the most, each time a marketplace closes there are vendors who do not re-appear and that is a lost to all buyers. Look at the vendors that were at RuntimeDNA who did not move to Daz or anywhere else.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well I hope you don't Kage, as we'd lose your talent here in the HiveWire store, and I, for one, will miss that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

All in all, it has been a long time CP sales would not sum enough to make a payment. They would often have to wait another month (or two) to accumulate enough to make a paycheck. If I were to move a product, it certainly wouldn't be to CP. I have been testing this in the last couple of years, and it was just not worth it. The place is there, but nobody was looking over it. I am not surprised it is closing now. I am even surprised how SMS was able to drag it this far.

D

Deleted member 325

I have my reasons why I was going to take many products out of the other brokerage and put them in CP, I don't want to say much more than that. Let's call it irreconcilable differences.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have my reasons why I was going to take many products out of the other brokerage and put them in CP, I don't want to say much more than that. Let's call it irreconcilable differences.

I can understand that and I fell out with Renderosity a few years ago but like Miss B I would miss your talents if you were to give up entirely as I am sure many others would.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Which is what I fear the most, each time a marketplace closes there are vendors who do not re-appear and that is a lost to all buyers. Look at the vendors that were at RuntimeDNA who did not move to Daz or anywhere else.

It's not just discouragement, or not wanting to be at a specific market, but also that some of the marketplaces have a specific sort of vibe, and things they WON'T take, and that also limits who goes where. There are also different standards for quality at the various places. Less marketplaces is going to put a crimp in things for many people, including the vendors.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's not just discouragement, or not wanting to be at a specific market, but also that some of the marketplaces have a specific sort of vibe, and things they WON'T take, and that also limits who goes where. There are also different standards for quality at the various places. Less marketplaces is going to put a crimp in things for many people, including the vendors.

It is not only the vibe and the quality that is important there are many other factors such as the security and ethics that need to meet the requirements of both vendors and customers. There have been many statements in many different forums where customers state they will not buy from marketplace A or B so as the choice narrows the ability to attract new customers can actually be quite small. It is not only vendors that decide to give up and that hurts everyone in the long run.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I was a vendor at RDNA for a bit, loved it too.
But there were issues so and my store was closed.
It was not personal or an attack on me, just too many mistakes on my part.
There were no issues at Renderosity and the only reason I do not have products there is that the few I did have did not move at all.
And after coming here it was so much work to try to keep two places open at once with different promo sizes and all.
I will miss CP, but really haven't put products there in a long time.

My art has kept me going but there may come a time when I will have to step back, it won't be due to issues with the store.
I hope to keep producing and selling but things sometimes happen over which we have no control.

Hornet3d

Wise
I was a vendor at RDNA for a bit, loved it too.
But there were issues so and my store was closed.
It was not personal or an attack on me, just too many mistakes on my part.
There were no issues at Renderosity and the only reason I do not have products there is that the few I did have did not move at all.
And after coming here it was so much work to try to keep two places open at once with different promo sizes and all.
I will miss CP, but really haven't put products there in a long time.

My art has kept me going but there may come a time when I will have to step back, it won't be due to issues with the store.
I hope to keep producing and selling but things sometimes happen over which we have no control.

When you have so many problems the need for escape and a pastime that makes you happy becomes critical. When it stops being fun or too much hassle, whatever the reason, it is time to stop.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Looking back to 2004 when I started selling Poser contents at Rendo, we used to have more stores, more figures, and way more contents. It was a booming market. Then DAZ split from Poser, and then from Poser contents. The current Poser content crisis was a mere consequence of the splits, where the Poser devs simply wouldn't (or couldn't) become content creators all of the sudden. SMS kept claiming they didn't care for contents, and wouldn't become content creators - as if Poser didn't depend on it. They clearly also didn't care for their own content store (CP). They also refused to see DAZ as competition, which put them in this current dire situation. Decisions have consequences, and we are living them now.

Personally, I believe SMS took not one, but a series of poor decisions that led to what we have now. It was so bad that when Poser 7 was re-released by SMS, I wasn't sure if it was trying to reach for 3D professionals (which is out of place for Poser), or to the actual hobbyists (the price was too high). It was like they didn't know who the customer base was, and I think they still don't. It is undeniable that SMS has greatly contributed to improving Poser like no other company did in the past, but they also put Poser in the current identity crisis, where it doesn't know what or where it wants to be.

We also have many Poser users that seem to be living in denial, expecting the next Poser version to start supporting DAZ figures - in other words, they want Poser to become DAZ Studio. It's easy to forget that DS was rewritten to support Genesis, which is not just a figure, but a platform. So much that Genesis won't work in DS 1, 2, or 3. In addition, this platform is intellectual property of DAZ, and cannot be used in Poser. All these people at the forums asking why can't Poser support Genesis are just being silly - that on its own would be a copyright infringement. It cannot be done - at least not legally.

But who knows? Maybe Reallusion will become a bridge for HW figures to be recognized by a broader audience? There is a bigger world out there, where later this month Dawn and Dusk will be finally stepping out of the box in official capacity with the release of Character Creator 3. It's not only HW figures stepping out of the box, but also a brand new market for vendors who have been supporting HW figures. So we loose one store here, and gain a new one there. One thing I can tell for sure, the potential there is much bigger than CP ever had before, so it's exciting, and it's happening in the coming weeks.

D

Deleted member 325

I have found myself wishing and hoping in these last years that maybe Poser would get bought by Newtek and develop as a "Light" 3D application that also serves as a Lightwave figure plugin. This was why I got into Poser - to quickly and easily have digital 3D actors for my animations without needing to model and costume all of them. I know Poser would soar in Newtek's hands.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It would surely be simpler for another company to acquire Poser now that it's no longer tied up to a content store. Or at least it will be after November.

Hornet3d

Wise
One would have thought that, having disbanded the Poser team only to rebuild it, that SM plan to update it at some point. If closing CP lets them concentrate doing just that then it is maybe a cost worth paying.

I don't have a problem with Poser being sold either providing it is to someone who is going to look to the future but I would hate to see it sold to a company that saw it as competition so leaves it to die a longer lingering death. There are already some good programs that are still for sale that are unloved by the owners and have not been updated for years. Much as I like Poser I would prefer to see it die rather then suffer that fate.

ockham

@Hornet3d: "There are already some good programs that are still for sale that are unloved by the owners and have not been updated for years. Much as I like Poser I would prefer to see it die rather then suffer that fate."

I'm not sure that's a bad fate. Generally speaking, people who are trying to get things done use older machines and older programs. Old = perfected by experience and feedback.

The Github Syndrome is the exact opposite of getting things done. Windows Malware 10 is the perfect example. When the computer spends all of its time updating its ability to spy on you, it doesn't leave a lot of energy or CPU ticks available for work. Even when updates aren't wasting time, they always introduce new bugs that require more updates which introduce new bugs which [loop]

So I'd rather see an old program remain available, with OCCASIONAL small updates to insure it works with newer OSs.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d: "There are already some good programs that are still for sale that are unloved by the owners and have not been updated for years. Much as I like Poser I would prefer to see it die rather then suffer that fate."

I'm not sure that's a bad fate. Generally speaking, people who are trying to get things done use older machines and older programs. Old = perfected by experience and feedback.

The Github Syndrome is the exact opposite of getting things done. Windows Malware 10 is the perfect example. When the computer spends all of its time updating its ability to spy on you, it doesn't leave a lot of energy or CPU ticks available for work. Even when updates aren't wasting time, they always introduce new bugs that require more updates which introduce new bugs which [loop]

So I'd rather see an old program remain available, with OCCASIONAL small updates to insure it works with newer OSs.

I can see your suggestion has many advantages, especially for some users but the programs I am thinking of have not been updated at all from what I know. Also user with older machine can still use the original package while many potential new users would have a modern PC and thus a little more CPU grunt.