• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Sometimes precision is more artistic.

ockham

Now that the big courseware project is pretty much done, I've shifted back into Poser mode again. Making a set of lost railroad structures based on the massive photographic works of Howard Killam.

When I do these lost places I'm always caught between precision and 'soul'. When I'm working from my own memory, with no photos available, 'soul' wins by default. In this case we have precise photos, so there's a conundrum.

Two examples, placed in the same scene for testing. In both cases I wanted to make the place look more cozy, more comfortable. In the Rock Creek box depot I succeeded. The higher ceiling would make the room more comfortable in warm weather and more secure in snowy weather. With Boicourt I failed. The original is unique because it's a TINY replica of an ordinary T-shaped depot. My 'comfortable' version, with more bungalow-like proportions, lost the CUTEness. The original was already maxed out on comfy, so I couldn't improve it.

Sometimes it's better to be precise!

ockham

Thanks. Yeah, all of these will have a new version and an abandoned version, plus winter and summer scenes.

ockham

Thanks for pursuing the real history!

I've been doing these 'lost places' for quite a while. They're in my ShareCG section:

ShareCG - ockham's Gallery

The most mysterious one is Cave Gas, and the one with the most important history is Arcade Hotel.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Thanks for pursuing the real history!
I've been doing these 'lost places' for quite a while. They're in my ShareCG section:

ShareCG - ockham's Gallery

The most mysterious one is Cave Gas, and the one with the most important history is Arcade Hotel.

Thanks for providing the link! I'm a history buff, so I am always interested in reading and looking at vintage pictures. I have happy memories when I think of trains. My mom and I and sometimes my Grandma and I, traveled by train several times a year to Chicago on the 'Rock Island Rocket'. It was a nice passenger train and even had a dining car. As a kid, I was so excited to ride the train and eat in the dining car with the white tablecloths and fancy silverware. Since the kitchen was so small, you could watch the chef prepare the meals while you sat at your table.

I did download those packs, and will have to make time to look around more! Thanks.

ockham

Updating the WIP, with some winter and summer scenes...

Attachments

• boicourt-winter.jpg
    boicourt-winter.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 259
  • ridgeton-winter.jpg
    ridgeton-winter.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 223
  • rockcreek2.jpg
    rockcreek2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 220
  • swampangel-winter.jpg
    swampangel-winter.jpg