• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
My ideas are as a general rule much larger then what ends up in my renders, I always have to figure out how to scale them down somewhat in order to hold the detail I want to put in them...lol Had an interesting time with the lighting in this one, ended going to IDL just so I could put lighting just where I wanted it and as much as I wanted it to be...Made the sunlight blue green for its starkness... Thanks for your comments, I do enjoy them

You are more than welcome to the comments although there are times I am so blown away by your renders I don't know what to say. I know how much yours mean to me so I try to give back something to all those that comment or take an interest in my renders. Apart from that I love seeing what everyone is doing with similar software which shows it is the talent that makes the difference.

Carey

Extraordinary
You are more than welcome to the comments although there are times I am so blown away by your renders I don't know what to say. I know how much yours mean to me so I try to give back something to all those that comment or take an interest in my renders. Apart from that I love seeing what everyone is doing with similar software which shows it is the talent that makes the difference.
I get blown away by other peoples work all the time and yes running out of things to say is my problem too. That fine line of going from a teaching moment to one where your telling people what to do is also a problem. Besides how do you teach some one to enjoy playing with lights in a render for several hours or even several days for little or no reward. lol
I am lucky, very lucky to have found such a talented base of people that in spite of the fact I am a mad, mad, crazy mad frustrated artist they let me just come and hang out...lol

Hornet3d

Wise
I get blown away by other peoples work all the time and yes running out of things to say is my problem too. That fine line of going from a teaching moment to one where your telling people what to do is also a problem. Besides how do you teach some one to enjoy playing with lights in a render for several hours or even several days for little or no reward. lol
I am lucky, very lucky to have found such a talented base of people that in spite of the fact I am a mad, mad, crazy mad frustrated artist they let me just come and hang out...lol

Yep and a very thin line between encouraging or discouraging someone as you are never rarely sure how any comment will be taken. The plus here at Hivewire is that there are a lot of very talented people who are able to provide constructive criticism and help. I know from my first attempts at both at dynamic cloth and superfly just how helpful people here can be and they offered suggestions, examples, advised on render settings and even provided some superfly materials that I use in almost all my superfly renders. Without such support I am sure that I would have given up on both dynamic clothing and superfly and, as a result, would have missed out on many of the improvements I have made in the last year or so, not to mention the enjoyment it has given me. Of course we also benefit from the stunning renders people post here that shows what can be done with the software and driving us on to better things.

Your mad, mad, crazy mad ? .......I hadn't noticed but it does explain why we appear to be on the same wavelength most the time :).

Stezza

Dances with Bees
was going to enter this in the open render contest..

but thought that my modelled seagull wouldn't pass as one of Ken's :sneaky:

Hornet3d

Wise
I posted this yesterday in another thread explaining that it was an old render and rendered in Firefly as I did not have Poser 11 a three years ago when I created this.

CB and Horse HW.jpg

Rae134 suggested that, if I still had the scene file, it would be a good idea to run it in Superfly as a comparison. I liked the idea so here it is.

Ranger and Horse SF HW.jpg

I have to say I am surprised that there isn't a bigger difference. There is no doubt the superfly render could be improved upon but because I wanted a comparison I kept the changes to a minimum. Of course I had to change Dawn for my superfly version as we know skin for firefly just doesn't work in superfly. Other than that the materials are the same. I did change the environmental sphere and light in the firefly version to an Ezydome with a attached light but I needed to reduce the intensity from 100% to 20%

Of course this is maybe not the best render to use for comparisons as there is no water and few metal parts. Even here the render could be improved by using specific superfly renders but I think it does show that, good as superfly is, it needs to be worked at, but then the make art button is little used, and much of the benefit comes not from superfly alone but along with other advances made in Poser 11

If course this is Poser and it would be good to see how much iRay adds to DS.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
i prefer your original render...but in all the engines the shaders need some tweaking.....Iray is great talking about image inprove...but you need a bit of tweaking too..even if it is not really difficult.

Hornet3d

Wise
i prefer your original render...but in all the engines the shaders need some tweaking.....Iray is great talking about image inprove...but you need a bit of tweaking too..even if it is not really difficult.

I agree, the superfly has potential but the horse textures need some work, mainly I think with specular which superfly struggles with using some firefly materials. If I go forward with this, in addition the the horse changes I would use a superfly texture on the buckles on her tunic, either add some bump or use a superfly texture to the wood structures and the ropes and the lighting needs work. None of it that is rocket science but it does show that superfly is not a click and render solution, not that anyone suggested it was.

I have seen some great iRay renders so I have some idea of the potential but I of course there is no way of knowing what changes are required unless you do it yourself.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
yes...i do not have Superfly...but as Iray or any other new render engine...is not a click and render for sure if you want a good image.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like the new one Hornet except for the horse. Dawn seams softer. I did like the darker sky of the original, made it a bit more moody so you might be able to find a similar one. I don't think Laurie has updated the Roans yet for superfly but you could use Harry's default bay horse's settings (I know that one has been updated) just replace the coat, inner ear, and both hoof textures to the Roan and I think it would be great (of course small tweaks like making the metal look more like metal would help but I think its just mainly the horse that needs the change).

Carey

Extraordinary
I posted this yesterday in another thread explaining that it was an old render and rendered in Firefly as I did not have Poser 11 a three years ago when I created this.

View attachment 38888

Rae134 suggested that, if I still had the scene file, it would be a good idea to run it in Superfly as a comparison. I liked the idea so here it is.

View attachment 38889

I have to say I am surprised that there isn't a bigger difference. There is no doubt the superfly render could be improved upon but because I wanted a comparison I kept the changes to a minimum. Of course I had to change Dawn for my superfly version as we know skin for firefly just doesn't work in superfly. Other than that the materials are the same. I did change the environmental sphere and light in the firefly version to an Ezydome with a attached light but I needed to reduce the intensity from 100% to 20%

Of course this is maybe not the best render to use for comparisons as there is no water and few metal parts. Even here the render could be improved by using specific superfly renders but I think it does show that, good as superfly is, it needs to be worked at, but then the make art button is little used, and much of the benefit comes not from superfly alone but along with other advances made in Poser 11

If course this is Poser and it would be good to see how much iRay adds to DS.
Many times, and I am not going to say how many...lol I do many renders with different lightings and settings, then combine them for my final render...I see things I really like in both these

Hornet3d

Wise
I like the new one Hornet except for the horse. Dawn seams softer. I did like the darker sky of the original, made it a bit more moody so you might be able to find a similar one. I don't think Laurie has updated the Roans yet for superfly but you could use Harry's default bay horse's settings (I know that one has been updated) just replace the coat, inner ear, and both hoof textures to the Roan and I think it would be great (of course small tweaks like making the metal look more like metal would help but I think its just mainly the horse that needs the change).

I would agree with that, the horse is the big loser in this as it stands. One of my personal complaints with superfly was just how soft my character renders were, of course the run through Ezskin 3 was needed, but the default texture was very soft. I had to play for weeks to correct what I saw as an issue and reach a point I am happy with but Dawn is still softer in my superfly renders that the firefly equivalent.

I prefer the original background as well and thank you for the suggestion on the horse materials. Your comment raised another point in that my original aim was to run the scene file in superfly with as few changes as possible but this could be seen as unfair in that I would have made the original as best I could with the skills and features I had available at the time. So another possible comparison would be to use the same scene in superfly using all the features and skills, if somewhat limited, available to me today. I think I am going to play a little more.

Hornet3d

Wise
Caoimhe seemed to spend a lot of time waiting for Turlough but then she was always keen to meet up and thus very often early. She didn't mind much as he always chose some of the most delightful places to meet. As she waited she breathed in the traces of nature that surrounded her and relaxed in the peace and tranquility that such a place seemed to have at it's heart.

Fountain Meeting HW.jpg